Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 09:04 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,900,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Pro skater Brandon Novak hails from Baltimore.
Don't forget about Bucky Lasek, maybe the 2nd best Vert Skater of all time, and Rodney Jones has been a pro also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 09:15 AM

15 posts, read 19,634 times
Default 2 more things

Crooked politicians and does anyone remember Baltimore being one of the bluest of blue collar towns? Remember Bethlehem Steel and General Motors? They are history but the good news is Baltimore is a leading importer of foreign cars. Thanks to our politicians who have no problem bragging about their great work in making Baltimore #1. Probably heroes in japan,etc etc etc.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:52 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,595,746 times
FISHIN SONG STEVE ROUSE - 98 Rock Baltimore Audio track - 98 Rock Baltimore

bestkept,
I think the link needs to be clearer. You have a great song here and it needs to be heard.
Fishing on the Chesapeake Bay.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:47 PM

Default Recording was sent to me by WQSR

hey thanks,I feel like something is going to happen with it
The radio thing all happened so fast,I didn't expect to be on the radio,there's no way I could have recorded it.I just called to see what Steve thought of it. If they didn't want me to use it, why did they send it to me? lol It's all Steve Rouses fault,and that Maynard guy playing guitar.Sounds pretty good considering I used a telephone. I bought that phone in a pawn shop. That's the only way i could sing the blues over it.
This is the studio version done in L A FISHIN ON THE CHESAPEAKE BAY - 98 Rock Baltimore Audio track - 98 Rock Baltimore My finished cd/ep has 3 studio originals including the Fishin tune and this recording, which I feel is a 3 min 46 sec Steve Rouse commercial, but the media ain't buying it.They think I should have to pay them. Whasupwitdat? lol This is probably the only thing left of Steve Rouses 17 yrs on the radio. And I'm keeping our history alive.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:11 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
Lets not forget Michael Phelps or Cal Ripkin even though they are from the suburbs. Also McCormick company which makes good sauce and spices sold all across America inclding Old Bay seasoning.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:34 AM

775 posts, read 1,784,748 times
This list wouldn't be complete without mentioning Baltimore's nationally acclaimed STD rates. Baltimore annually ranks among the highest rates of Syphilis and Gonorrhea in the US. Way ta go Bmore!

Old 01-19-2012, 09:39 PM

149 posts, read 270,387 times
Mo'Nique (the comedian) and DruHill, who are actually performing at Ram's Head this weekend

Old 01-31-2012, 11:20 PM

19 posts, read 53,251 times
Simply put, I think Baltimore or Baltimorians are famous for our charm. As many cities I've traveled over the years I don't think any place holds a candle to the civic charm that is Baltimore. Most people I've talked to that have traveled to Baltimore have the same thing to say..... "rough town but great people".

Old 02-01-2012, 06:51 AM

OK,so we treat visitors well. We just treat each other like crap. Can anyone honestly say you live in Baltimore by choice? I can't say it. I'm stuck here like everyone else and once you realize that, maybe you won't be so quick scream out the window at and flip the bird to the guy who just accidently cut you off in traffic.We're all stuck here together and if you find a way to get out, you will be stepped on by people who haven't.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_cue View Post
Two more to add:
Old Bay
Animal Collective (Baltimore native band with NPR''s best song and album for 2009)

I get what bawlmer is saying. Before I came out here, the four things I knew about Baltimore were:
  1. The Wire
  2. Charm City Cakes
  3. The Orioles
  4. The Ravens
It's safe to say that I was completely ignorant about the city, but as best as I can tell, Baltimore just doesn't have a solid positive presence in the national and world media outside of sports. There is plenty of good news and interesting history in Baltimore, but the number one "thing" about Baltimore that gets repeated in the news is the crime (outside of sports). It takes a lot of effort to rise above that crime noise.

From looking at Google Trends data - it's a lot like asking someone from the East Coast to name what Oakland, CA or San Jose, CA is famous for. I'm sure the average responses would be interpreted as shallow by residents of those cities.

Google Trends: baltimore, san francisco, san jose, los angeles, oakland
You nailed it Jay. It's all about the media. Think about it. The word on crime got out world wide only because David Simon worked for the Baltimore Sun. If he was John Q Public the Wire and Homicide series on HBO wouldn't have happened. He had media access otherwise he would have had no platform to speak from.It's going to take something major happening to change that. Something strictly about BALTIMORE like a song and story. I have one that could put this place on the map if made into a movie. The media who knows all about it,wants to keep it from the people. If the media smells money,trust me,unless they get their cut,by you paying them to advertize it,they will keep a secret.This is FACT. Over the years, when I contacted them about this. Every single time, I was told, wow that's a good story,good song, I'll send it back and see what they say.. Nothing has ever happened and now I don't even bother. So time went on but I knew eventually something would happen with this.Even if it happens after I'm dead. Good songs and good stories last forever. Now it has. Sarah Fliescher from 98 rock used my song in a commercial.It was a perfect song for the Monster Rockfish Tournament. Proving not only is it a good song, but it also has commercial value.They violated my copyright and I am hiring a lawyer to sue them for that. They keep t he song and story from the people because they know people would like it. Nothing in it for them so they step on me.I was asked by some of them,why should we help you? I'll never pay them. I captured the king of Baltimore media and Radio personalities in a unique way 12 years ago with the Chesapeake Bay song. Our media is the reason Baltimore has no identity as far as the rest of the world is concerned. Except for what they know about drugs,crime and murder.
Put Baltimore on the map - 98 Rock Baltimore Blog post - 98 Rock Baltimore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore