Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 02:25 PM

934 posts, read 1,061,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
As for living in Baltimore City and experiencing its "diversity," I learned virtually nothing positive from the experience except for two things: (1) actions have consequences, and you can see these consequences play out in spades within the City every day, and (2) some cultures and ways of life are very much better than others in terms of attaining happiness or well being or a good life (eudaemonia).
I'm going to go out on a not very long limb an assume that you went into the experience assuming that Baltimore City had nothing to teach you anyway since your attitude on this forum indicates that you think you already know everything there is to know.

Not being exposed to any of the ills of society makes it very easy to just ignore them or pretend they don't exist. There is a difference between learning something "positive" (however you want to define that) and learning something constructive. Bad experiences and good experiences are both instructive.

I had never looked poverty in the face until I traveled abroad when I was in college. And then I never looked at it again until I moved here. And I think it has actually taught me a lot because I had an open mind. I do a lot more community outreach than I probably would have if I chose to turn a blind eye to Baltimore's problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 04:11 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,286,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by designer_genes View Post
I'm going to go out on a not very long limb an assume that you went into the experience assuming that Baltimore City had nothing to teach you
It's an interesting theory, especially since I "went into the experience" as a newborn without too many assumptions.

Quote:
. . . your attitude on this forum indicates that you think you already know everything there is to know.
Well, look at the upside. If what you say is true, it would certainly be something that we have in common.

Quote:

I had never looked poverty in the face until I traveled abroad when I was in college. And then I never looked at it again until I moved here. And I think it has actually taught me a lot because I had an open mind. I do a lot more community outreach than I probably would have if I chose to turn a blind eye to Baltimore's problems.
Good for you -- you get a cookie. Keep up the good work, and let us know what you have learned once you're old enough to rent a car in your own name. But I do love the irony -- you "looked poverty in the face" while touring abroad, and see it now as a graduate student at Johns Hopkins! Oh, the angst and travails of the limousine liberal . . .

Edit: Interesting parallel -- George W. Bush looked Putin in the eyes and "saw a good man" (or something to that effect), whereas McCain looked Putin in the eyes and "saw the KGB."

Last edited by Hamish Forbes; 05-14-2015 at 05:15 PM..

Old 05-15-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Good for you -- you get a cookie. Keep up the good work, and let us know what you have learned once you're old enough to rent a car in your own name. But I do love the irony -- you "looked poverty in the face" while touring abroad, and see it now as a graduate student at Johns Hopkins! Oh, the angst and travails of the limousine liberal . . .
See, that's exactly the condescending, "I know everything, you know nothing," attitude I was talking about. You never disappoint. Thanks, HF.

I also don't know where you keep getting the "rent a car" line from (that you recycle in every single thread, so original), since I am old enough to rent a car in my own name. Way to go. Your turn for a cookie.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
See, that's exactly the condescending, "I know everything, you know nothing," attitude I was talking about. You never disappoint. Thanks, HF.

Let me explain something to you about gentlemanly behavior: A gentleman never insults anyone accidentally. So you're welcome. I try never to disappoint impudent children . . .

Old 05-15-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Let me explain something to you about gentlemanly behavior: A gentleman never insults anyone accidentally. So you're welcome. I try never to disappoint impudent children . . .
But, the problem is that you can't even insult me accurately.

I also wouldn't exactly call insulting people on the internet behind the anonymity of a computer screen "gentlemanly," but I guess whatever floats your boat.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
But, the problem is that you can't even insult me accurately.

I also wouldn't exactly call insulting people on the internet behind the anonymity of a computer screen "gentlemanly," but I guess whatever floats your boat.
Don't be petulant. It's not ladylike.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:16 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,455,607 times
Quote:
Over the line Hamish, not exactly gentlemanly.

Old 05-17-2015, 04:43 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,417,247 times
Hamish Forbes and Genes are battling! Should I bring out the brass knuckles, baseball bats and tire irons?! Lol!

Old 05-18-2015, 06:01 PM

675 posts, read 723,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Take a break from these boards for a few weeks, come back to the same old thing. LOL

I also live in North Baltimore and have had no issues raising kids so far. It really is up to you if you want to keep them ensconced in a happy bubble or if you want them to know more of the world. The only thing I find problematic here so far is what infinite alluded to... there is not a lot of cultural diversity, so the world can seem very (American) Black and (Generic American) White with a little Jewish thrown in if you don't go out of your way to show them otherwise. Ditto social class: they can end up looking at people of different means in screwed up ways if you don't go out of your way to make sure they know people from all walks of life. Other than that things are fine so far.

My only concern right now is what happens when my son gets old enough to look like a "threat" to whoever. I will be a lot more nervous having him move around the city when that happens but honestly that can be a problem anywhere.
Crime statistics indicate that " moving around the city" -Baltimore- is much more a threat to ones being than "anywhere". There have been 95 homicides already in Baltimore. That is up from last year. Baltimore is the 5th most violent city per capita in the nation. Allstate insurance company in their research noted that Baltimore is, nearly the worst possible city to drive in. Out of 200 cities with 1 being the best city to drive in and 200 the worst, Baltimore was 195. These statistics were based upon automobile accident rates. This year you and your child have a 1 in 20 chance of being a victim of a violent crime. In no way does that make Baltimore City a safe city to raise a child in. Consider your options but the closer you live or drive to the inner city the greater your risks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore