Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 11:30 AM

934 posts, read 1,062,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
I'd be racked with guilt and worry for having encouraged old mom to live in Baltimore. An opinion that is contrary to yours but sincere isn't trolling. My "neighborhood" is a valley surrounded by farms and woods and while that may not be mom's -- or your-- cup of tea, there must be a better option for the old girl than dumping her in the city which IMO became unlivable in the mid-70s.
I think it's great that you love your neighborhood. Everyone should live where they want in an environment that makes them feel comfortable. But, the OP made it clear that the mom wants to live in Baltimore. So why exactly would you feel guilty for letting your old mom live out the remainder of her years how she wants to? You're making it seem like OP is putting mom in Baltimore against her will or something ("dumping her in the city"), which is obviously not the case.

FYI my "neighborhood" is a 137 acre park. So nature being your cup of tea is totally compatible with living in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 12:30 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,474,349 times
Quote:
Actually, my wife lost her 3 1/2-year battle with dementia this past April.

Sorry for your loss and for making assumptions.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:50 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,249,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by designer_genes View Post
I think it's great that you love your neighborhood. Everyone should live where they want in an environment that makes them feel comfortable. But, the OP made it clear that the mom wants to live in Baltimore. So why exactly would you feel guilty for letting your old mom live out the remainder of her years how she wants to? You're making it seem like OP is putting mom in Baltimore against her will or something ("dumping her in the city"), which is obviously not the case.

FYI my "neighborhood" is a 137 acre park. So nature being your cup of tea is totally compatible with living in the city.
I realize that mom wants the city but I'd be worried sick for her sake and racked with guilt for not trying to dissuade her.

If you're talking about Patterson Park, my mom lived with her parents at 336 S. East Ave when I was born and that's literally a stone's throw away. Lotsa baby pics from that park. Then growing up there was Herring Run Park a few blocks away. CLUE: Urban parks surrounded by wall-to-wall people ain't the same thing as God's country.

Old 08-31-2015, 02:32 PM

2,193 posts, read 2,687,697 times
Quote:
I realize that mom wants the city but I'd be worried sick for her sake and racked with guilt for not trying to dissuade her.

If you're talking about Patterson Park, my mom lived with her parents at 336 S. East Ave when I was born and that's literally a stone's throw away. Lotsa baby pics from that park. Then growing up there was Herring Run Park a few blocks away. CLUE: Urban parks surrounded by wall-to-wall people ain't the same thing as God's country.
?? The fact you think you're safer living alone in the middle of nowhere and driving everywhere compared to someone living in a safe city neighborhood, next to Hopkins, and walking/taking transit just shows how completely oblivious you are. Maybe visit Mt. Vernon sometime this generation and see how nice a neighborhood it is to assuage your paranoia. Until then, why not stick to commenting about what you know.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:46 PM

934 posts, read 1,062,580 times
Quote:

I know they aren't the same. I'm just saying that the city can be beautiful too. I like having people around. I like having a community of neighbors I know and trust. That actually makes me feel quite safe. I like having impromptu block parties and festivals.

At some point you just have to reconcile your theoretical guilt with the fact that everyone's priorities are not the same as yours. Live and let live.

Old 08-31-2015, 04:19 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,249,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
?? The fact you think you're safer living alone in the middle of nowhere and driving everywhere compared to someone living in a safe city neighborhood, next to Hopkins, and walking/taking transit just shows how completely oblivious you are. Maybe visit Mt. Vernon sometime this generation and see how nice a neighborhood it is to assuage your paranoia. Until then, why not stick to commenting about what you know.
Five yrs. ago, one murder in the nearest town. Not sure about today but probably still in single digits. You're not safe anywhere in today's world but I'll take my chances "in the middle of nowhere" vis-à-vis the Baltimore cesspool. Yes, long distances driving to/from work was a negative but when considering the trade-offs, well worth it. Now I use more gas mowing once every 10 days than I do driving.

And if it's currently safe near JHH, it's only because they relocated the thugs to Belair-Edison and Moravia.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:48 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,186,614 times
I dont know about Mt Vernon for the elderly, as in I dont have an opinion.

I would suggest Roland Park or even Hampden. For nothing else than the main drag in RP has a ton of dog walking that goes on there everyday. Plus a grocer, pharmacy, public library, banks, post office in a clump within the neighborhood. Senior housing in Hampden is near Giant and all the stores opening up at the Rotunda soonish. Lots of dog walking there too.

zip code 21210 and 21211 has senior housing worth checking out. Still fairly close to MICA.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:25 AM

1,022 posts, read 2,550,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpark View Post
While its true that crime is up in the city (and muggings in Mt Vernon), I'd say your mom will be OK if she is streetsmart - not wearing earbuds or carrying a large purse, not out too late (or go with a friend). If she's got friends/community in Mt Vernon, she'll be fine.

Only thing I see about Mt Vernon is the lack of a close by grocer.

Best of luck and hope you mom enjoys herself.
Safeway on Charles Street isn't too far away. Not walking distance, but its only a 3-5 minute drive.

Old 09-02-2015, 12:09 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,456,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Griff View Post
Safeway on Charles Street isn't too far away. Not walking distance, but its only a 3-5 minute drive.
Ever been in that Safeway? it sucks and it can get sketchy around there at night; remember there are methadone clinics the the low 20s area of Charles St to the south of Safeway (woudl have to walk thru) and another knot at 25th and Greenmount to the west (right past the troubled Barclay neighborhood).

Old 09-02-2015, 06:26 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,510,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Griff View Post
The Eddies on West Eagar Street is there to provide basic groceries, probably at high prices. Mom would not starve if she moved to Mount Vernon.

My mother expressed some interest in moving to a place like Mount Vernon when she was around 70. I'm not sure how much she would like it now that she is a little older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: