Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 05:02 PM

11 posts, read 22,053 times

Advertisements

Hi. My mom (85) has been working her way through a waitlist for a senior apartment in Mt Vernon. Is this a safe neighborhood for an elderly (very nice) lady who will be walking a dog alone in the mornings and early evenings?. My brother and I are concerned about all the talk about crime in Baltimore and runaway dirt bikes etc. She is an alumni of MICA and is heart set on living in Baltimore. BTW, she is totally physically and mentally with it but after all,not a track star.
Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 08:53 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,455,480 times
While its true that crime is up in the city (and muggings in Mt Vernon), I'd say your mom will be OK if she is streetsmart - not wearing earbuds or carrying a large purse, not out too late (or go with a friend). If she's got friends/community in Mt Vernon, she'll be fine.

Only thing I see about Mt Vernon is the lack of a close by grocer.

Best of luck and hope you mom enjoys herself.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:28 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,245,302 times
I feel sorry for mom. Why Baltimore?

Old 08-30-2015, 01:07 PM

934 posts, read 1,061,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WriterLady View Post
Hi. My mom (85) has been working her way through a waitlist for a senior apartment in Mt Vernon. Is this a safe neighborhood for an elderly (very nice) lady who will be walking a dog alone in the mornings and early evenings?. My brother and I are concerned about all the talk about crime in Baltimore and runaway dirt bikes etc. She is an alumni of MICA and is heart set on living in Baltimore. BTW, she is totally physically and mentally with it but after all,not a track star.
Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks much.
Mount Vernon is very safe. I know many people that live there and none of them have ever had a problem. You still need to have some level of common sense, just like any other city, but it is very safe by city standards.

That said, it isn't a very quiet neighborhood. It's sort of in the middle of the hustle and bustle. And like dogpark mentioned, there isn't really a grocery store that is convenient to the neighborhood without driving. So those are factors to consider for a senior living in that neighborhood.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:33 PM

2,188 posts, read 2,683,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
I feel sorry for mom. Why Baltimore?
Is being a troll your fulltime job? The only one to pity here is you.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Is being a troll your fulltime job? The only one to pity here is you.
Putting mom in Baltimore is tantamount to elder abuse.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:55 AM

2,188 posts, read 2,683,598 times
Quote:
Putting mom in Baltimore is tantamount to elder abuse.
Nevermind the fact Mt. Vernon is an architecturally beautiful, vibrant, safe neighborhood with good public transit and walkability along with an entire city's worth of culture and amenities at your doorstep. I just can't imagine why someone would want to live there, especially for their golden years.

Where do you live, grandpa, that's so much better? What's the best part of your neighborhood? An Applebee's? If you're living in some secret area that's better than a National Historic District like Mt. Vernon, feel free to suggest it rather than contributing exactly nothing to every thread you feel compelled to troll.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Nevermind the fact Mt. Vernon is an architecturally beautiful, vibrant, safe neighborhood with good public transit and walkability along with an entire city's worth of culture and amenities at your doorstep. I just can't imagine why someone would want to live there, especially for their golden years.

Where do you live, grandpa, that's so much better? What's the best part of your neighborhood? An Applebee's? If you're living in some secret area that's better than a National Historic District like Mt. Vernon, feel free to suggest it rather than contributing exactly nothing to every thread you feel compelled to troll.
I'd be racked with guilt and worry for having encouraged old mom to live in Baltimore. An opinion that is contrary to yours but sincere isn't trolling. My "neighborhood" is a valley surrounded by farms and woods and while that may not be mom's -- or your-- cup of tea, there must be a better option for the old girl than dumping her in the city which IMO became unlivable in the mid-70s.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:37 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,472,725 times
Quote:
I'd be racked with guilt and worry for having encouraged old mom to live in Baltimore. An opinion that is contrary to yours but sincere isn't trolling. My "neighborhood" is a valley surrounded by farms and woods and while that may not be mom's -- or your-- cup of tea, there must be a better option for the old girl than dumping her in the city which IMO became unlivable in the mid-70s.
Well you have your wife for support. This lady may be on her own and may need close neighbors and the close amenities that urban density provides. I'm sure it's great where you live but it may not be appropriate for a really old person living alone.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
Well you have your wife for support. This lady may be on her own and may need close neighbors and the close amenities that urban density provides. I'm sure it's great where you live but it may not be appropriate for a really old person living alone.
Actually, my wife lost her 3 1/2-year battle with dementia this past April.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: