Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2015, 09:58 AM

2 posts, read 1,690 times

Advertisements

Hi, I've been renting a property from a private landlord for two months now. The property was in control by a real estate group, but the owner removed it from the group and took over direct control. I have had plenty of problems with the house since moving in, but now have a new issue. The house had a previous balance on it for the water bill and I have a turn off fast approaching. The only way i can get in touch with the owner is via email, but the owner does not respond to emails anymore. I have sent four emails over the past month with no response. I'll have to pay the turn off to avoid losing my water, but what do I do as far as the rent and other issues? With no contact will i have to put the rent into escrow? and how will this effect the rest of my lease? Do i deduct the money for the water bill from the rent as this was not my responsibility? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 01:19 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micahdarko View Post
I've been renting a property ... for two months now.
I have had plenty of problems with the house since moving in, but now have a new issue.
Have ANY of these issues been presented to management (or owner) in WRITING?
Who did you write your deposit check to?
How about the rent since moving in?

Quote:
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Find another place. TODAY.
Start packing and get out before it gets cold.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:04 PM

260 posts, read 842,589 times
You might want to contact Baltimore Neighborhood Inc's tenant/landlord hotline.

BNI | Tenant & Landlord

Old 09-29-2015, 08:54 AM

850 posts, read 1,130,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micahdarko View Post
Hi, I've been renting a property from a private landlord for two months now. The property was in control by a real estate group, but the owner removed it from the group and took over direct control. I have had plenty of problems with the house since moving in, but now have a new issue. The house had a previous balance on it for the water bill and I have a turn off fast approaching. The only way i can get in touch with the owner is via email, but the owner does not respond to emails anymore. I have sent four emails over the past month with no response. I'll have to pay the turn off to avoid losing my water, but what do I do as far as the rent and other issues? With no contact will i have to put the rent into escrow? and how will this effect the rest of my lease? Do i deduct the money for the water bill from the rent as this was not my responsibility? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I'm a LL and have property in Baltimore County. In terms of you're situation. The LL is obviously not doing his/her job. I would send a certified letter to the LL concerning the issue. I would then file for an escrow account.

Lack of water makes the place uninhabitable. Therefore you will continue to pay rent until the issues all have been fixed...

Old 09-30-2015, 01:02 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,473,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinthrax View Post
I'm a LL and have property in Baltimore County. In terms of you're situation. The LL is obviously not doing his/her job. I would send a certified letter to the LL concerning the issue. I would then file for an escrow account.

Lack of water makes the place uninhabitable. Therefore you will continue to pay rent until the issues all have been fixed...
I just knew you were going to side with the landlord, before reading your post.

There's hope for you.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
I just knew you were going to side with the landlord, before reading your post.

There's hope for you.
How is this siding with anyone. It harms the LL when they are not receiving rent. I know the laws. If you decide not to pay the rent, it won't help. They can still bring you to court. Also the judge may not agree with the habitation issues. Especially if the LL fixes all the issues before the court date. If you haven't paid rent by that time and come to court, the judge sides with the LL, then you can have a judgement for possession placed on the tenant... (pay all in 4 days)

Then you need to cough up the money before the date... It seems the LL could fix this simple water issue by a few phone calls....

I've been in LL court several times. Guess the % of time the judge rules in favor of the landlord. 99% - 100%!!!!

Old 10-01-2015, 01:23 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,473,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinthrax View Post
How is this siding with anyone. It harms the LL when they are not receiving rent. I know the laws. If you decide not to pay the rent, it won't help. They can still bring you to court. Also the judge may not agree with the habitation issues. Especially if the LL fixes all the issues before the court date. If you haven't paid rent by that time and come to court, the judge sides with the LL, then you can have a judgement for possession placed on the tenant... (pay all in 4 days)

Then you need to cough up the money before the date... It seems the LL could fix this simple water issue by a few phone calls....

I've been in LL court several times. Guess the % of time the judge rules in favor of the landlord. 99% - 100%!!!!
I was hoping the smiley face signified sarcasm, but I wasn't clear.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:06 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,186,184 times
Quote:

I've been in LL court several times. Guess the % of time the judge rules in
favor of the landlord. 99% - 100%!!!!
Is that true? My LL owes me 12 years of interest on a security deposit. Says she never heard of the law before that the deposit goes into an escrow acct.

If it was like $40 I wouldnt fight it but it is over $700 based on the forumula. I was thinking of going to court.

If it is true, I'm sad to hear that decent renters get screwed, yet again and that a LL need not follow a law.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpiehere View Post
Is that true? My LL owes me 12 years of interest on a security deposit. Says she never heard of the law before that the deposit goes into an escrow acct.

If it was like $40 I wouldnt fight it but it is over $700 based on the forumula. I was thinking of going to court.

If it is true, I'm sad to hear that decent renters get screwed, yet again and that a LL need not follow a law.
In Baltimore, the LL mostly gets screwed. The type of people that rent in Baltimore are not the "ideal" tenants. They come in, don't pay rent on time and trash the place. The LL laws in Baltimore are weak and sided towards the tenants. Last tenant I had trashed my place. Wrote up an invoice, sent to her and her co-signer. Filed a court notice and got a private processor. In the end I won, but took almost a year to get my 1000 back!!!

Old 10-09-2015, 02:55 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,186,184 times
I'm sorry to hear that steppin. I didnt realize you were being sarcastic, I am sorry.

I'm fairly ideal, but get screwed anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: