Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 10:26 PM

8,230 posts, read 13,350,173 times

Advertisements

Cost of living is better in ATL in terms of what you get for your money.. entertainment and social life..for African Americans is better.. especially for those on the higher end of the income scale. Many middle and upper income AA in Baltimore live in NW Baltimore County. Even so.. many socialize in DC or PG County as opposed to Baltimore City Proper. DC doubles as ATL for many AA in Baltimore. I also believe the mortality rate among AA is likely better in ATL than in Baltimore.. especially outside some of the noted hoods in SW ATL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 07:02 AM

926 posts, read 1,255,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowery View Post
Interesting. I have personally thought about moving from Baltimore to Atlanta. My significant other (who is also from Baltimore) lived there briefly as a teen.

I guess that conditions are better in Atlanta for black people since Atlanta is not an independent city like Baltimore. If Baltimore City was a town in Baltimore County, things would probably be better here also.

Despite me stating that conditions are better for blacks in Atlanta, the ghetto areas there are worse than the ghettos of Baltimore.
I agree. While AA wealth, home and business ownership is greater, their ghettos are worse or at least equal to Baltimore. Gangs are also growing in Atlanta.

Last edited by redd1skng; 12-03-2015 at 07:18 AM..

Old 12-03-2015, 10:28 AM

73,002 posts, read 62,578,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoreJuice View Post
There is a running stereotype in Baltimore that the best way for a black person from Baltimore to start a new life is to move to Atlanta.
Well, for as much as I find myself criticizing Atlanta, I see more Blacks moving here than trying to move to Baltimore.

Old 12-03-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redd1skng View Post
I agree. While AA wealth, home and business ownership is greater, their ghettos are worse or at least equal to Baltimore. Gangs are also growing in Atlanta.
I've noticed something else. The murder rate in Atlanta, and the over all crime rate, are both lower than Baltimore. Just judging by the murder rate in Baltimore, and the recent riots, I would consider that the ghettos in Baltimore might be worse than Atlanta.

But furthermore, I brought up Baltimore vs Atlanta for a reason. This thread is about Baltimore, Blacks, and Gentrification. I brought up that there is a possibility that the Blacks who have the potential to gentrify the rough areas of Baltimore might be leaving Baltimore altogether for other cities, such as Atlanta and Houston.

And it is not just with Baltimore that I've noticed this. I've met Blacks from Pittsburgh and Milwaukee. Almost none of them express a desire to return to those cities. I don't hear a "we love Pittsburgh" or "we love Milwaukee" tone in their voice when they bring those places up. I've noticed the same with some Blacks from Baltimore. Now, as for Blacks I've met who were from Philadelphia, Chicago, Los Angeles, Seattle, or New York, the responses are different. I've met Blacks from the Seattle area who tell me they miss being there.

It makes me think about this. One is asking about why there aren't more Blacks gentrifying Baltimore. I have to wonder if it's because many who could gentrify certain areas are leaving for other cities. I think about this because I'm noticing the same thing with Pittsburgh and Milwaukee. Having been on those forums, as well as the Baltimore forum, I notice quite a few threads about racial tensions, not to mention some people griping and complaining about Blacks, citing things like crime and blight. I find myself thinking about this. Perhaps there are Blacks, who are among the talented and hardworking, who feel unwanted and unwelcome in some cities. If the cream of the crop within a Black population leaves, perhaps one needs to analyze and think about why that is. If it's thugs and crooks one complains about, one might want to ask why the hardworking and talented often finding themselves searching for greener pastures elsewhere. It is important to ask because it is those particular Blacks you don't want to chase away. They can play a big part in reviving a city just as much as people in other ethnic groups.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:51 PM

912 posts, read 914,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Uhhh no. It's a high concentration of POOR Blacks that are high crime areas. The problem is first and foremost socioeconomic in nature.

Racist much? I'm Black and NONE of this applies to my upbringing or that of a ton of other Black folks I know. But when all you have is the media to inform your views...
Well said. My ex-hb is black, and I'm pretty sure he makes at least 5 times what Jack (Jack the poster, not the person quoted above replying to Jack - to be clear) here makes. I'd save my energy, if I were you. This guy gets nothing.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName14289 View Post
Well said. My ex-hb is black, and I'm pretty sure he makes at least 5 times what Jack here makes. I'd save my energy, if I were you. This guy gets nothing.
Alot of people look for bad. One can find good. Yes, bad exists. That can be found. On this subject, some people come specific to complain about those of a certain race.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redd1skng View Post
I'm black and black lives matter to me. Your statement is false. But, you and KodeBlue continue to generalize and place ALL black people in a box. Strangely enough I don't see other ethnic groups being generalized or categorized as one. We're not monolithic in our thinking.
If I were only allowed to rep. you again already.

Old 12-03-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Alot of people look for bad. One can find good. Yes, bad exists. That can be found. On this subject, some people come specific to complain about those of a certain race.
I completely agree. There is good and bad in everything. When you focus only on the bad, what does that say about you?

Old 12-03-2015, 01:02 PM

926 posts, read 1,255,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I've noticed something else. The murder rate in Atlanta, and the over all crime rate, are both lower than Baltimore. Just judging by the murder rate in Baltimore, and the recent riots, I would consider that the ghettos in Baltimore might be worse than Atlanta.

But furthermore, I brought up Baltimore vs Atlanta for a reason. This thread is about Baltimore, Blacks, and Gentrification. I brought up that there is a possibility that the Blacks who have the potential to gentrify the rough areas of Baltimore might be leaving Baltimore altogether for other cities, such as Atlanta and Houston.

And it is not just with Baltimore that I've noticed this. I've met Blacks from Pittsburgh and Milwaukee. Almost none of them express a desire to return to those cities. I don't hear a "we love Pittsburgh" or "we love Milwaukee" tone in their voice when they bring those places up. I've noticed the same with some Blacks from Baltimore. Now, as for Blacks I've met who were from Philadelphia, Chicago, Los Angeles, Seattle, or New York, the responses are different. I've met Blacks from the Seattle area who tell me they miss being there.

It makes me think about this. One is asking about why there aren't more Blacks gentrifying Baltimore. I have to wonder if it's because many who could gentrify certain areas are leaving for other cities. I think about this because I'm noticing the same thing with Pittsburgh and Milwaukee. Having been on those forums, as well as the Baltimore forum, I notice quite a few threads about racial tensions, not to mention some people griping and complaining about Blacks, citing things like crime and blight. I find myself thinking about this. Perhaps there are Blacks, who are among the talented and hardworking, who feel unwanted and unwelcome in some cities. If the cream of the crop within a Black population leaves, perhaps one needs to analyze and think about why that is. If it's thugs and crooks one complains about, one might want to ask why the hardworking and talented often finding themselves searching for greener pastures elsewhere. It is important to ask because it is those particular Blacks you don't want to chase away. They can play a big part in reviving a city just as much as people in other ethnic groups.
I typed a somewhat lengthy response then came back to this. It seems there's alot about the dynamics of blacks in Baltimore you're not familiar with. Many middle class blacks fled the city for Baltimore county years ago and continue to do so.

Blacks feeling unwanted or unwelcomed...
Not sure where you're getting that from but, really, where are blacks wanted?

Hardworking and talented seeking greener pastures...
I know a few who've moved to Atlanta and some are far from the educated or hardworking type, lol. On another msg board I'm reading some talk about how easy it was to transfer their section 8 vouchers. My point is there's a whole lot of mixture migrating down there.

I agree with retaining a certain type but crime will chase people away.

Old 12-03-2015, 01:03 PM

One thing to think about. This is not for me, but to getting other people to think about this. Why do some people with decent means buy homes or rent in areas that are potentially dangerous in terms of violent crime?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore