Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 07:01 AM

18 posts, read 30,707 times

Advertisements

I'm getting a slew of out-of-town guests over the next couple weeks, and looking for good options for dinner spots in Baltimore. (Sticking in or right close to the city - I live in Hampden.)

Nothing too fancy or expensive (like over $20/entree)... but quality, memorable spots that maybe are unique to Baltimore.

Any suggestions of tried-and-true favorites?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 07:56 AM

478 posts, read 809,565 times
In Hampden in that price range, I enjoy the Golden West Cafe. Helmand in Mt Vernon isn't as expensive as it looks from the outside, and not many people have tried Afghan food before (also very tasty).

Other places to consider, depending on what you're looking for:

Papermoon Diner
Sweet27
Johnny Rad's Pizza
Jack's Bistro has some cheaper entrees

Old 12-01-2015, 10:49 AM

556 posts, read 946,500 times
It's a little over your range, but Parts and Labor is great, especially if you're willing to share dishes or there is an opportunity for a splurge meal. They have a few plated meals, but most things are served a la carte, and they fully support/encourage sharing.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:19 PM

222 posts, read 271,017 times
Nacho Mama's is pretty unique to Baltimore. Its mexican type food with a baltimore flair to it. The wait times can be a bit long and parking can be challenging as well but its definitely a unique place.

Old 12-01-2015, 03:17 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,212,329 times
This is outside of Baltimore, but check out G&M Restaurant & Lounge in Linthicum Heights in Anne Arundel County less than 6 minutes outside Bmore I think (I believe the MTA Light Rail goes to Linthicum Heights). If you like seafood, I strongly recommend the Cream of Crab soup with saltine crackers!!! If you've ever had Cheez Itz white cheddar-flavor crackers before, it tastes very similar to that but richer! Your taste buds may be in for an orgasm, I kid you not! Their lump crab cakes are one of the largest in Maryland and a very delicious with absolutely no filler, so don't worry about encountering a half-ass cake from them. You can dress casually as well, don't let some of the formal dressing in the main dining room fool you. I've noticed that most of the people in formal dressing in the dining room where mainly state and federal politicians/gov't associates and people who were doing something for a special occasion. Btw, G&M got a pretty cool bar area too. You can enter from the front or the back, watch your step if you'll be leaving from the back entrance though lol. The restaurant operates a drive-thru for pickup too, so you also have the option of carryout Bon Appétit!

Old 12-01-2015, 05:51 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,475,158 times
Lexington Market.

Old 12-01-2015, 08:53 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,103,798 times
There are specials on some Baltimore attractions this coming weekend. Maybe your out of town guests would like to see some of these.

Dollar or Less Days return to Baltimore Dec. 5-6 - Baltimore Sun

Old 12-02-2015, 08:14 AM

926 posts, read 1,256,093 times
Abbeys Burger Bistro.

Best burger in Baltimore. Across from Cross Street Market in the heart of Federal Hill.

Last edited by redd1skng; 12-02-2015 at 09:09 AM..

Old 12-02-2015, 09:23 AM

478 posts, read 809,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redd1skng View Post
Abbeys Burger Bistro.

Best burger in Baltimore. Across from Cross Street Market in the heart of Federal Hill.
I second Abbey Burger Bistro as well. Lots of different kinds of meats, several options for vegetarian patties, tons of veggies/toppings etc. Also a very good bottled and draft beer selection. Can be crowded though, so best if you go at a little bit of an off-hour if you want a more relaxed, quieter meal.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:25 AM

934 posts, read 1,062,841 times
In the Hampden area, I second Golden West. That place is fantastic, affordable, and has a huge menu that will probably please almost anyone.

For something a little more fancy (it was under $20/plate for brunch when I went, but it might be slightly over that for dinner), I highly recommend The Food Market. That place is amazing. One of the best plates of food I've ever had in this city.

Another place on the fancier side is City Cafe in Mount Vernon. That place is top notch and would definitely impress someone from out of town. You can't go wrong no matter what you order there.

Someone also mentioned Abbey Burger and I would echo that sentiment. Delicious burgers.

A couple of good low key tavern/pub options. Red Star in Fells Point. Excellent burgers (not quite as good as Abbey Burger, but the best I've had in the city for a place that doesn't strictly specialize in burgers), good beer selection, really nice atmosphere, very affordable. Smaltimore in Canton. Again, fantastic atmosphere and really friendly staff. Huge beer selection and the beer works on a stock market system (meaning the price changes depending on how many people have ordered that beer recently), so that's a cool thing that makes the place unique. They do typical pub fare and they do it well, but they also have a great sushi selection, which is unique for a tavern-type place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: