Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 11:13 AM

675 posts, read 723,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Just sometimes ? I am beginning to believe that residents in Baltimore City are bringing problems on themselves. Maybe not all of them but a significant number of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 11:31 AM

675 posts, read 723,002 times
I saw something during the snow storm that I have never seen before in Baltimore. On Fredrick Ave one of the major roads in southwest Baltimore people were triple parked. The curb lane was of course snowed in and people had to dig themselves out like everyone else. The next lane, a travel, which was snow free, people just parked their cars there and went into their house. They didn't have to dig themselves out because there was no snow their. People also parked in the third lane, the turn lane. Now the cars are 3 lanes from the curb. They were not stranded there because the roads were clear. They just got out of their car s and left the there. People traveling west on Fredrick Ave had to go into the on coming traffic to get around them. One enters the county about three blocks west on Fredrick Ave and there was not a single car double or triple parked. What does that say about Baltimore City drivers ?

Old 01-26-2016, 12:25 PM

2,423 posts, read 2,090,492 times
My neighborhood they did an okay job, although the side streets were not touched.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:31 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
However it would be done. Keeping track of what's done isn't rocket science, whether the method is high tech or low tech.

You have a quadrant system with X trucks. How much got done in Quad A? And so on. But to say, as has been done in Baltimore City, Prince George's and, now, Montgomery that they have no idea what streets have been plowed is inexcusable.
I agree the big problem I see with the low tech solution is the difficulty in keeping up with the job and having updates posted in close to real time so the information is useful as well as the ability to 'pencil whip' the log by the driver and make it look like everything was done when it wasn't. Given the size of those operations (and ones like VDOT of SHA I could see how an automated system that tracked performance and made it available on a web site to improve 'transparancy' would be justified.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:14 AM

850 posts, read 1,130,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Also, I saw one driver on TV mentioning that he'd had only 5 hours of sleep since Friday. I thought that there were limits on how much a person could drive without a break. I guess that doesn't apply to independent contractors.

"Call Mister Plow, that's the name. That name again is Mister Plow."
That's because some of these drivers are using this "snowmagaden" to make some quick cash. I imagine several of them made a few thousand in these few days.

They are not working against their will. They have a truck and a blade. They are connected to whoever or call whoever to volunteer cleanup. It boils down to if your the first person there and you are willing to never sleep.

In my area a guy just went from house to house "I will plow your driveway for $100 bucks". He must of made 500 bucks just in our cul-de-sac.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:16 AM

850 posts, read 1,130,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
I agree the big problem I see with the low tech solution is the difficulty in keeping up with the job and having updates posted in close to real time so the information is useful as well as the ability to 'pencil whip' the log by the driver and make it look like everything was done when it wasn't. Given the size of those operations (and ones like VDOT of SHA I could see how an automated system that tracked performance and made it available on a web site to improve 'transparancy' would be justified.
It would be quite easy to implement a system that tracks drivers and roads plowed. There are Google Map APIs available that allow this type of tracking, your not reinventing the wheel... It's just a matter of getting all of them to use it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore