Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 08:08 AM

4 posts, read 3,712 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am moving with my family to Baltimore this summer and need some advice picking an area. We are moving from NC but have lived in many cities (Indianapolis, Chicago etc). We have two young children, and are looking for a very safe family friendly area that is also diverse. We are working on a nonprofit salary, so not expensive area, but safety is key.
Any ideas of unique and great neighborhoods? We are a multiracial family, love quirky unique areas with character, love growing our own foods, and green areas.
Any tips would be great! Husband is working downtown, so hoping to find a home in the city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 08:20 AM

2,423 posts, read 2,092,838 times
We need a little more information. Do you want a detached house with a lot or a row house (several connected homes). Public schools or private school? Budget range that you are comfortable with. Baltimore is very block by block so this can help us help you a little better.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:25 AM

Ok, thanks. We would love a detached house with at least a small yard, but open to a row home if near a park. We will probably home school the first year, but will probably end up doing a charter or private school after, as I hear the public schools aren't great (but also know I'm only hearing this and doesn't mean true and will look at them all once we move). We love being outdoors, walking to shops/restaurants, walking. We're looking for a home under 200k. Sadly, from out of state, all I hear is negative about the city, but we're so excited to make it our new home and raise our children here.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:35 AM

222 posts, read 271,061 times
I would look towards the catonsville area as I know the price point still makes it a bit tough but you could find a fixer upper. The area has relatively good schools and is safe. Its not too far from the city as well so the commute won't be too bad.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:39 AM

64 posts, read 73,805 times
Frankford/Cedonia is okay... same with Northwood. Just don't estimate the saftey wrong. Watch out. Buses from the horrible areas (listed in last paragraph) of B-More go to Frankford and Northwood and Cedonia and they spread negativity around there (drugs, theives, etc).

Canton and Hampden are good, but the houses there are WAYYY more than $200k around there, last time I checked. Roland Park is out of the question... those houses are overpriced for the area.

STAY AWAY from Harlem Park, Park Heights, Pen Lucy, and Broadway East. Those neighborhoods are definite no-no's for your family.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:10 AM

122 posts, read 169,597 times
I would recommend looking in neighborhoods in the Loch Raven Blvd corridor - anywhere from Northwood out to and including The Baltimore County portion. Mostly row homes but some single family.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:30 AM

789 posts, read 1,096,408 times
Really anything along Harford Road, Echodale, Walther, Old Harford Road; those areas are well kept, generally nice, affordable and have little yards and wooded parklands nearby. Quite scenic and will give you a good spot imo to judge the schools. If you are struggling with budget check out Windemere av area or something right near Cross Country Blvd up near Mt Washington, it might be cheaper.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:12 PM

thanks so much !

Old 02-06-2016, 07:33 AM

2,423 posts, read 2,092,838 times
Original Northwood is a beautiful neighborhood that has won some press in magazines as a historic neighborhood. I would check out Belvedere-Chinquapin Park which is a great neighborhood with small yards, a playground park, tree lines and somewhat historic. There is a food market and a movie theater that you can literally walk too in the neighborhood. Northwood towards Parkville is a good suggest as well, more Parkville however. Mount Washington is ideal but expensive ( But do check it out). Lauraville, Arcadia, Hollywood, Hamilton, Mayfield are all also good area's, safe and quite. Close to shopping, Lake Montebello and a college.

Old 02-10-2016, 02:53 PM

thanks! We've been looking in Lauraville/ Hamilton area and looks pretty nice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: