Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2016, 09:04 AM

5 posts, read 6,694 times

Advertisements

Sorry first time posting anything at all, so I meant to post in the Baltimore forum, but posted in the big general Maryland forum by accident. I thought I'd find a better answer here.

We're contemplating moving to MD for a job in Laurel. The schools in Laurel don't look so great, so we're looking at homes with commutes to Laurel that are around the 30 min range or less. We'd like to find a single family, 4 br home, under $450 as well. Moving from Ashburn/Loudoun County so we're used to newer houses, with open floor plans and great schools. We thought Sykesville looked nice, but haven't visited yet. I'm concerned at what the traffic would be like during rush hour. Is that a crazy commute? Is there anything comparable that's closer to Laurel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 09:15 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msc3 View Post
The schools in Laurel don't look so great, so we're looking at homes with commutes to Laurel that are around the 30 min range or less. We'd like to find a single family, 4 br home, under $450 as well. Moving from Ashburn/Loudoun County so we're used to newer houses, with open floor plans and great schools.
The issue with Laurel is that the addresses are in three different counties. The schools in the Howard County portion of Laurel are better (rating 6 and 7 out of 10), and you might find a newer open floor-plan house in your price range. Howard County has plently of older ranchers in that price range, especially if you look along Route 40 in Ellicott City.

Sykesville is probably a good choice, as is Sylesville and other parts of Carroll County. Ellicott City schools are excellent, but you would probably have to pay $500-600K to get the newer house you are describing.

The commute into Laurel is probably not bad from any of these areas, but I would avoid getting on I-95. Another area to avoid is where I-70 gets bunched up as it approaches the Baltimore Beltway.

Last edited by goldenage1; 04-17-2016 at 09:52 AM..

Old 04-17-2016, 12:37 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,098,638 times
If you are coming from Loudon County you are also familiar with the traffic problems in the Baltimore Washington corridor. I would try to find a place as close to your work as possible. If the schools in Laurel are not to your liking, then look at the schools in the surrounding communities such as South Laurel, North Laurel, Burtonsville, Columbia, Hanover, Odenton, Savage, Fulton, Maple Lawn, Calverton, Beltsville, White Oak, College Park, Adelphi.

Pay particular attention to the places south of Laurel because you would be doing a reverse commute with a lot less traffic going in your direction.

Sykesville to Laurel is half an hour on a sunny Sunday morning or any day at 3am. On a weekday rush hour it is at least an hour to 90 minutes one way. I wouldn't want to drive it for anything.

Old 04-17-2016, 06:22 PM

325 posts, read 368,219 times
I'm in the same boat. Would the Inner Harbor area not be recommended if you have 3 kids under the age of 9? We love the area, but I'm not sure of the public schools. I applied to a job in Laurel just today.

Old 04-17-2016, 07:32 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Z-B View Post
Would the Inner Harbor area not be recommended if you have 3 kids under the age of 9? We love the area, but I'm not sure of the public schools. I applied to a job in Laurel just today.
I certainly would not recommend moving to the Inner Harbor unless you can afford private schools for three kids.

In addition, if you get the job in Laurel, you should move a lot closer to work. Visit the Inner Harbor on weekends.

Old 04-17-2016, 07:47 PM

325 posts, read 368,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I certainly would not recommend moving to the Inner Harbor unless you can afford private schools for three kids.

In addition, if you get the job in Laurel, you should move a lot closer to work. Visit the Inner Harbor on weekends.
We would take I-83 and get off the last few exits. The neighborhood around there seemed nice, and I would always see young professionals out jogging. But I suspected they would bus your kids in with a mix of rough neighborhoods. Shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore