Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 11:53 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,334,746 times

Advertisements

I'm not too familiar with Baltimore except for the Waterfront / touristy areas and central downtown.

I saw an advert for "They Symphony Center Apartments" today and checked the rent prices.

I'm thinking something is up. Is that a bad area?

Thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 01:07 PM

339 posts, read 1,518,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
I saw an advert for "They Symphony Center Apartments" today and checked the rent prices.

I'm thinking something is up. Is that a bad area?

Thx.
I'm curious what made you think that. Most people I know consider the Symphony Center Apartments to be very expensive.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:05 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,597,462 times
I have been in them. They are nice places although I don't know what you mean by the prices. Are they cheaper than other places around town?

Old 02-19-2008, 04:30 PM

Yup they're lower than anything that close -- well what I can find.

For example, the stuff close to Camden Yards and Waterfront that's new (say last five years) is several hundred more per month. In two cases almost 1K more.

I live right at the edge of Crystal City (Arlington) now, and the rent is the same all things considered.

It just looks like a good spot for the price, so I'm wondering what's up.

I didn't check the "crime stats" yet, but those aren't always the best indication.

As with NOVA/DC I know B'more can be a block by block or zone by zone kind of thing.

Oh - the OP should say THE not THEY - LOL sorry.

I'm guessing it's a little lower since it's not right by a train station. That alone would bump it up.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:57 PM

The area they are in is mid-town and yes, that area is fine to live in. It is near a lot of the cultural arts like the symphony and opera. If you visit it, you will see first-hand. It is walkable to the train station. It in the Mount Vernon neighborhood. It is also right by a light-rail connection. There are some good restaurants nearby. It is also right by the Maryland Institute College of Art. During the day, there would be no problem walking around there. It is not in a high-crime area, but like every other city, common sense at night is useful. It is also very close to ArtFest which occurs in the summer. I have a coworker living there and he and his wife love it.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:59 PM

I forgot to add that it is probably less expensive because it is not right by the Inner Harbor that tends to drive up prices.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:46 PM

339 posts, read 1,518,365 times
Yeah, jonjj is right. The other places you mentioned are closer to the Harbor and therefore more expensive.

I'm guessing that Symphony Center is most likely the most expensive in Mt. Vernon - starting at $1699 up to $4300 for 2bed/2bath (all models are 2/2).

As a comparison, Henderson House, which is a few streets over is approximately $1430-$1505 for 2bed/2bath.

We also have friends who live in Symphony Center and they also love it. In my opinion, a big plus to living there is that David S. Brown, the developer, also owns the secured parking garage that joins the it. So tenants automatically get 1 parking space.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:17 PM

43 posts, read 174,228 times
Well, a few nice things about those apts is they have a great view, are next to a light rail stop and you are smack in the middle of all the excitement during Balt's biggest festival (ARTSCAPE) in the hottest month of the year (July). If you love theater or symphony music, you are also directly next to the Meyerhoff & Lyric Opera House. Across the street is a wonderful B&B and restaurant called Abercrombie. MD Institute College of Art (MICA) is adjacent to the apts also- there's always artschool kids walking around and it's along the path to Utrecht, the big art store. Rite Aid across the street is also a convenience. You can walk a few blocks east and hit Brewers Art, City Cafe, Eddie's Supermarket and other fun stuff on Charles St. In my 13 year history in Mt. Vernon that's a little pocket that I've seen drastic change. It still feels a little sketchy to me sometimes, but because of the development it's much safer than in the past. Use caution around Howard St. Walking to Bolton Hill is ok during the day, but a night jaunt without a dog or friends to B Bistro (a REALLY great place in Bolton Hill) is not recommended- although the Armory is across Howard and armed guards are usually present...

Old 02-20-2008, 05:57 AM

Sounds cool. Thanks all. My better half would love the arts vibe. We're considering a move with BRAC, and having lived in AA county before (in my miliary days) I'm giving Baltimore a chance.

I'll give the area a good look next time we're up that way.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:23 AM

70 posts, read 485,271 times
Symphony Center's a great choice for the Mt. Vernon area. The attached parking is a big plus. Friend's living there are all around happy with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore