U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 08:52 AM

379 posts, read 695,336 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be relocating to Baltimore for a couple of months, starting later in September - I'll be taking a class in the area and working remotely. I'm hoping to avoid driving my car out from the West Coast, and also to explore the city and East Coast a bit in my free time.

I'm hoping you guys can recommend to me:

- Neighborhoods where I can live car-free for basic daily needs, including access to a bus line and/or a service like ZipCar or City Car Share, and where I can walk around without a major fear of violent crime. I'm happy to take Uber / Lyft periodically but would prefer not to have to completely rely on it.

- The best places to look for sublets or other short-term housing in Baltimore. A room or studio would work well, would strongly prefer some sort of access to basic kitchen facilities.

I'm a Caucasian female in my early 30s. Thanks in advance for your neighborhood suggestions!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 11:12 AM

8,409 posts, read 4,763,098 times
Where will you be taking your class? Without a car, being close to your school's location would be a plus. If you want to be in downtown Baltimore, I would recommend looking in Federal Hill (the area to the immediate south of the Inner Harbor) or South Baltimore (the area south of that, on the peninsula served by Fort Avenue).

Old 09-06-2016, 12:21 PM

53 posts, read 37,179 times
You may be interested in Hampden.

Hampden is an up and coming neighborhood with easy access to the light rail and bus system. The light rail can take you downtown and the bus lines will take you everywhere else. Hampden is relatively safe and is a bit cheaper than Fed Hill or Fells Point, neighborhoods where other people under 40 live. There's also many good restaurants and bars.

Charles Village a neighborhood south of Hampden which is even cheaper. It's a bit less safe in some areas, but in certain locations you'd be within the Johns Hopkins security network if crime is something that you are significantly worried about.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:49 PM

Thanks for the responses: I'll include all the neighborhoods you suggested in a Craigslist post. My class is in way far-out suburbia, nowhere near any transit, so I plan to get a Zipcar, Uber, or carpool with other students to get there. (It only meets a day a week.) For day to day life, I'm thinking it'd be easier to be in a neighborhood where I'm not completely stranded without a car. If I see any short-term housing in walking distance from the class I'll consider it, but it's not near much period.

In terms of safety, I can handle "edgy" - I live in San Francisco's Mission District, if you're familiar with the area. I heard that some neighborhoods in Baltimore have a lot of violent crime and would like to avoid those, especially without a vehicle.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:12 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,172,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalLover View Post
Thanks for the responses: I'll include all the neighborhoods you suggested in a Craigslist post. My class is in way far-out suburbia, nowhere near any transit, so I plan to get a Zipcar, Uber, or carpool with other students to get there. (It only meets a day a week.) For day to day life, I'm thinking it'd be easier to be in a neighborhood where I'm not completely stranded without a car. If I see any short-term housing in walking distance from the class I'll consider it, but it's not near much period.

In terms of safety, I can handle "edgy" - I live in San Francisco's Mission District, if you're familiar with the area. I heard that some neighborhoods in Baltimore have a lot of violent crime and would like to avoid those, especially without a vehicle.
It is hard to explain crime in Baltimore to people in most other places. I live in a neighborhood with an off the charts murder rate but generally peaceful streets. I think that is because so many of the murders are full blown gang hits. Most of the time, the gangsters just do there own thing.

I guess that is why people are quite willing live in slightly edgy neighborhoods like Mount Vernon and Charles Village. In those neighborhoods the possibility of getting mugged is something that everybody needs to be conscious of on some level - but residents don't have a great fear of being murdered. If you are looking at Charles Village, you might also consider Mount Vernon which is a little more walkable.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:23 PM

If you want the car-free lifestyle but with a shorter commute to your class, you might consider living in one of the small handful of outer suburban areas that are pedestrian friendly, instead of in Baltimore. If your class is to the north of the city, consider Towson. If to the west, look at Frederick. If to the southeast, try Annapolis.

I've heard of the Mission District in San Francisco, but I'm not really familiar with it. Consider, though, that Baltimore is quite a bit more "edgy" than what even you might be used to. According to CD, in 2014 San Francisco had a "crime index" of 461.5; Baltimore's was 672.7. This is not to say that there aren't any decent places to live in Baltimore, because there are. Just saying, San Francisco may not have prepared you for the full reality of what you might experience, if you land in the "wrong" part of town.

One "quick and dirty" way of weeding out the undesirable areas to live is to look at this site's profile of Baltimore, and scroll down 'til you get to the graphic labeled "Property Values in Baltimore, MD." Simply put, you'll want to avoid the areas shown in dark blue, and exercise caution in the areas shown in light blue.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:21 AM

The property values map is very helpful- thanks! I'll avoid any areas in dark blue, which seems to be where most of the really cheap rooms on Craigslist and AirBnb are. Baltimore is definitely higher crime than SF, which is why I want to avoid anything too gritty.

The class is in the Owings Mills area but is nowhere near any public transit, and I hear from family who used to live in the Washington DC area that it isn't the nicest suburb. In general I'm open to suburbs if I can get around without a car.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:48 AM

Owings Mills has its issues, that's true. It's not the best place out there, but it's not the worst either. You might try looking at nearby Pikesville, located to the southeast of there, next to the Baltimore Beltway (I-695). The area along Reisterstown Road (particularly inside the Beltway) is pretty compact and walkable, so if you found somewhere near there, you might be able to get by without a car.

If your class is at the McDonogh School, then you're right, there's no transit there. But if it's at any of the three Stevenson University campuses, you do have some options:

Greenspring Valley Campus: MTA Bus Route No. 60
https://mta.maryland.gov/sites/defau...WEB-8.5x11.pdf

Owings Mills and Owings Mills North Campuses: MTA Bus Route No. 18
https://mta.maryland.gov/sites/defau...WEB-8.5x11.pdf

Old 09-07-2016, 03:56 PM

23 posts, read 14,033 times
I would recommend Federal Hill, but it is pricy for temporary housing. I would also recommend Fells Point and Canton. Fells Point is a few blocks from the inner harbor, and right next to harbor east, a nice area of baltimore with lots of restaurants and shops. Canton is very nice and safe and is on the harbor as well, but it is farther from downtown(around 1.5 miles) and is close to Patterson Park. Mount Vernon is also very nice though it's a little pricy as well and there might not be a lot for rent. Also, Mount Vernon seems less residential since it is just north of downtown. Remington is nice, right between Johns Hopkins and downtown. Also, Charles Village is right near Johns Hopkins and is nice as well. Hampden is around there too and is a very cute neighborhood. Feel free to respond with questions about some of the neighborhoods! Good luck!

Old 09-07-2016, 07:34 PM

44 posts, read 45,484 times
You can get to Owings Mills on metro from downtown (walk from Federal Hill or Fells Point), but don't know where in OM you are taking the class, so it's impossibl to give you any suggestions.

You may need to provide more specific information if you want any good advise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or