Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2016, 06:15 PM

6 posts, read 21,139 times

Advertisements

My wife is taking a temporary job for a year in Towson, so we're going to be relocating next summer.

We've been living in Durham NC for several years. Currently no kids, and are big foodies (enjoy contemporary/modern cuisine, craft beer, cool quiet pubs) and fans of the outdoors (hiking, cycling, mountain biking, fly fishing).

Looking for some information on whether to live right in Towson, versus something like Lutherville-Timonium/Cockeysville. We will need to stay within about a 20 minute commute to her job. We don't anticipate staying here more than a year--just passing through for her career. What are the cool spots, and things to know around that area? What are the good spots for weekend getaways for mountain-deprived people that will be living in N Baltimore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 06:20 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehollx View Post
My wife is taking a temporary job for a year in Towson, so we're going to be relocating next summer.

We've been living in Durham NC for several years. Currently no kids, and are big foodies (enjoy contemporary/modern cuisine, craft beer, cool quiet pubs) and fans of the outdoors (hiking, cycling, mountain biking, fly fishing).

Looking for some information on whether to live right in Towson, versus something like Lutherville-Timonium/Cockeysville. We will need to stay within about a 20 minute commute to her job. We don't anticipate staying here more than a year--just passing through for her career. What are the cool spots, and things to know around that area? What are the good spots for weekend getaways for mountain-deprived people that will be living in N Baltimore?
www.mdmountainside.com

Old 11-02-2016, 06:28 PM

24 posts, read 39,879 times
I work in Towson, so can definitely offer some insight. Towson's main call to fame, besides being the seat of Baltimore County government, is the fact that it is a college town (Towson University). Thus, rents are absolutely outrageous. Some people find it worth the high rent, though. Towson is decently walkable, and there is fairly easy access to public transportation. Personally, I do not find it worth the high rent. If you look in neighborhoods such as Nottingham, Parkville, or White Marsh - you will find that rent is less. Though, I'm sad to say, it wouldn't surprise me if that gap closes in a few years. Another possibility is to move into Baltimore City proper. There are VERY nice neighborhoods in the city with easy access to Towson, such as Charles Village.

Old 11-06-2016, 12:52 PM

569 posts, read 1,442,854 times
I used to live in Towson but as Richie states, the rent just went through the roof. I moved about a year and a half ago to Carney just 5 minutes from Towson and pretty much the same distance from downtown. It's much more quiet and suburban and the rent is about $200 less. They apartments are also newer and cleaner and there is much less ghetto riff raff coming up from Baltimore. Feel free to PM me if you want a reference for my apartment complex. I love it here.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:58 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,186,874 times
Consider the neighborhoods around Roland Park, Tuscany, Hampden, etc...if you are a foodie and like to walk. These neighborhoods are around JHU - north of the city, off 83 etc.

They have some beautiful rentals, my fave are in converted older homes.

Easy commute to Towson up Charles Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore