Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 11:14 AM

2 posts, read 24,955 times

Advertisements

My job maybe relocating to Baltimore area (Owings Mills). I have been there, dont want to live in that area. I am from NYC and am gay. Looking for a safe area to capture what I had in NY. I keep hearing the Mount Vernon area is a great place to live and is popular with gay people.

I also am looking for a place where there is great places to eat, good gyms and just a great neighborhood feel.

Any help and suggestions I more then welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 11:49 AM

33 posts, read 174,983 times
whoever suggested mt.vernon hit the nail on the head. it's popular with baltimore's gay community, with a handful of gay bars and the pride block party which i attended probably 6 years ago and was fun then (i dont know what they do now, but i imagine it's still fun). there are also straight bars in the area so you'll meet all sorts of people. you would be close to the walter's art gallery, charles theater (plays lots of artsy films), there are good places to eat and center stage is there - which does plays and such. also, pretty close to the downtown area so if you wanted to hop in a cab and go there it would be pretty easy. as for gyms, i don't really know, but i would imagine there are some near by. i personally like the neighborhood. the helmand (afghan food) is very yummy.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:39 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,543,981 times
Most decent neighborhoods in Baltimore are gay-friendly. Mt. Vernon is great but it depends on your lifestyle. Is parking going to be an issue? Do you want an apartment or a home? Are you renting or considering buying? All of those issues play into it. Also, do you like greenery? (trees, etc.).
Options include: Charles Village, Fells Point, Federal Hill, Patterson Park, Butchers Hill. You can do web searches as most of the places I listed have sites.
In terms of Mt. Vernon, many of the clubs are there and there is a great grocery store now located downtown on Charles. Also, there are plenty of gyms to choose from.
I still go out of my way to the YMCA on 33rd Street only because it is cheap, open early, and has a fantastic pool. That is in Waverly near Charles Village.
Anyway, need to warn ya! Baltimore in no NYC. The activity you are probably used to does not occur here. But, it is still a great location and it's cheap compared to DC. Philly is also close by. Now that I said that, I have to emphasize that I love Baltimore for what it is. It grows on ya---like a fungus.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:51 PM

1,977 posts, read 6,778,718 times
jonjj -- A great post.
A few years ago I did some 20 yard sales in one day with a friend of mine who had prepared a map with pins for the operation but drove with a map and knew every neighborhood. That gave me a real insight into how diverse our neighborhoods are. I remember in Beverly Hills (NE) talking to two gay guys and minutes later meeting another resident, a Hispanic activist and his family.
Anyway, my point is that while Mount Vernon is an option, gay lifestyles are so divergent that gays can be found in many other neighborhoods. I was once in Curtis Bay (a rough blue-collar area; some would say redneck) with a neighborhood activist who said they had gay residents.
I am not gay but my impression is that the overall society has become far more tolerant of gays. This is part of a huge social change that is in progress. I highly recommend a new book, "Millenial Makeover: MySpace, YouTube & the Future of American Politics." It's an eye-opener.
This whole incredible Obama movement is a harbinger of this change. Young people embrace his candidacy; people over 60 are his biggest critics.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:57 PM
LFF

18 posts, read 118,264 times
Barante,

The title of the book is great. I'll have to go read it!

Old 03-05-2008, 09:56 AM

315 posts, read 1,295,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Anyway, need to warn ya! Baltimore in no NYC. The activity you are probably used to does not occur here. But, it is still a great location and it's cheap compared to DC. Philly is also close by. Now that I said that, I have to emphasize that I love Baltimore for what it is. It grows on ya---like a fungus.
You aint kidding!

Old 03-05-2008, 10:04 AM

689 posts, read 3,205,220 times
I have quite a few gay customers who live in the neighborhood -- I'm in Pigtown. They all seem to like it here, as it's very close to 95/295 and the houses are more affordable, so you can get more house for your money.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:57 AM

12 posts, read 55,933 times
Mt Vernon is a great choice.

So is Lauraville/Hamilton. I know many people living there--

as well as the Hampden area

and Alonsoville is also quite gay friendly.

Mt Vernon and Hampden are going to be your best bet for "urban feel" but it's not NYC and that may just not work for you. The others are close enough to get to Mt Vernon for fun nights out but have more of a suburban feel.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:22 AM

2 posts, read 36,966 times
Located just north of the 33rd St. YMCA (former Memorial Stadium) is Ednor Gardens: A quiet, gay-friendly neighborhood w/ beautiful sun porch fronted rowhomes. The community's azaleas blooming in the spring are breath taking!

Old 03-16-2008, 07:57 PM

9 posts, read 39,596 times
Hey! I'm from Chicago, lesbian & moving to Baltimore for the same things. Are you looking for a roommate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore