Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 11:53 AM

16,543 posts, read 10,591,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Streetcars are historically beautiful, aesthetically pleasing, and full of charm that add a level of cultural enhancement to urban areas.
Yes, they are. But as an investment in day-to-day transportation, I'd rather our money go for something more effective. The Red Line would have been a big step forward; not as good as the Metro Subway but better than the Light Rail. But since it's not to be, I'd rather invest in things like bus lanes and signal preemption and other such strategies to improve the bus system to make it more useful for daily travel . . . even at the cost of a little less charm for Charm City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 11:54 AM

37,872 posts, read 41,867,650 times
BRT should be part of the equation. Cleveland's HealthLine is an oft-studied model that just may work for Baltimore.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:05 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,472,038 times
Thanks for Cleveland link. Almost makes me want to fly there just to check out the line.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:36 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,508,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
Thanks for Cleveland link. Almost makes me want to fly there just to check out the line.
I think BRT is OK for lines with a high ridership especially where some of the route won't have to run in traffic.

I crunched some numbers a few years ago and came up with a handy comparison between the cost to run buses and streetcars. The result was that streetcars start to become cheaper when city buses need to run less than five minutes apart during busy periods in order to comfortably accommodate the ridership. Streetcars also work better when some of the route is not conflicting with auto traffic.

Some - but not many - of the Baltimore bus corridors approach the level of ridership needed to justify streetcars. And some of those corridors don't have any extra lane capacity whatsoever. I think a streetcar makes sense for North Avenue and perhaps a few other transit corridors. Overall, I like the idea of streetcars but getting the bus system to run better is the only practical solution for most for the city transit needs.

Old 02-12-2017, 12:43 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,691,960 times
I just found this out about the suggestion for a replacement of the canceled Red Line:

Quote:
The whole point of Right Rail was to kill the Red Line to keep it out of Canton. With the project dead I'm surprised their website's still up. They certainly aren't in the conversation anymore pressing this plan or others.
Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/baltimore/c...acing/ddc43jz/

Old 02-12-2017, 07:33 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,413,235 times
Quote:
The Red Line would have been a big step forward; not as good as the Metro Subway but better than the Light Rail.
*Agreed!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Yes, they are. But as an investment in day-to-day transportation, I'd rather our money go for something more effective. The Red Line would have been a big step forward; not as good as the Metro Subway but better than the Light Rail. But since it's not to be, I'd rather invest in things like bus lanes and signal preemption and other such strategies to improve the bus system to make it more useful for daily travel . . . even at the cost of a little less charm for Charm City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore