Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 08:07 AM

254 posts, read 257,161 times

Advertisements

I spent last weekend visiting old college friends in Baltimore. I was able to check out Canton, the inner harbor, Fells Point, Ellicott City, the area around the Peabody Institute, the area around the Silo Point Condos and a few other locations (The Horseshoe). Baltimore really has some great restaurants/bars/entertainment options. The people were all friendly and I like the vibe of the city. Canton is my favorite neighborhood, I could easily see living there. I wasn't sure what to expect given the somewhat negative reputation of Baltimore but came away pretty wowed with what your city has to offer. I will definitely be back for a Sox/Orioles game this summer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 11:51 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,473,538 times
The modal experience, thanks for sharing.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:39 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,509,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southshorebound View Post
I spent last weekend visiting old college friends in Baltimore. I was able to check out Canton, the inner harbor, Fells Point, Ellicott City, the area around the Peabody Institute, the area around the Silo Point Condos and a few other locations (The Horseshoe). Baltimore really has some great restaurants/bars/entertainment options. The people were all friendly and I like the vibe of the city. Canton is my favorite neighborhood, I could easily see living there. I wasn't sure what to expect given the somewhat negative reputation of Baltimore but came away pretty wowed with what your city has to offer. I will definitely be back for a Sox/Orioles game this summer
No first visit to Baltimore is complete without a trip to the hood in my opinion. That said, I'm glad you had a good time in the parts of the city that outsiders don't seem to know much about. Hope you make it back for a Sox game. None the less - Go O's!

Old 04-05-2017, 05:15 PM

80 posts, read 55,862 times
Default Baseball!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
No first visit to Baltimore is complete without a trip to the hood in my opinion. That said, I'm glad you had a good time in the parts of the city that outsiders don't seem to know much about. Hope you make it back for a Sox game. None the less - Go O's!
Agree! When I was doing an internship in Baltimore last summer, my husband came to visit. I took him to a Red Sox vs. Orioles game, and it was a blast. It was definitely a selling point in convincing him to move here!

Old 04-06-2017, 11:25 AM

17 posts, read 14,431 times
Quote:

What an asinine thing to say. Is Baltimore the only city in the world with a "hood"? Should visitors to Chicago, NYC, Philly, LA, etc go visit their respective "hoods"?

Old 04-06-2017, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmorebest View Post
What an asinine thing to say. Is Baltimore the only city in the world with a "hood"? Should visitors to Chicago, NYC, Philly, LA, etc go visit their respective "hoods"?
Don't be so sensitive. I didn't say that Baltimore is the only city that has a hood. The reason I suggested visiting is that, because of The Wire and other media, Baltimore's hood is unusually famous.

I don't see how anyone can have a proper perspective on Baltimore without visiting its most famous feature. After all, most people from outside the city believe that the whole city looks like as set from the Wire. If you actually visit a Wire-worthy neighborhood, you will be able to clearly see that the rest of the city doesn't look like that. Think of a quick visit to the hood as an inoculation against anti-Baltimore hysteria.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:29 PM

420 posts, read 469,169 times
All cities are nice one city to another etc. visiting/visitors tend to look for the "touristy" spots therefore any visit ANYWHERE should be fun because you're looking for fun.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:33 PM

368 posts, read 453,561 times
Quote:
Don't be so sensitive. I didn't say that Baltimore is the only city that has a hood. The reason I suggested visiting is that, because of The Wire and other media, Baltimore's hood is unusually famous.

I don't see how anyone can have a proper perspective on Baltimore without visiting its most famous feature. After all, most people from outside the city believe that the whole city looks like as set from the Wire. If you actually visit a Wire-worthy neighborhood, you will be able to clearly see that the rest of the city doesn't look like that. Think of a quick visit to the hood as an inoculation against anti-Baltimore hysteria.
Lmao Baltimore is NOT the only city that has a TV show or movie about its ghettos

Old 04-06-2017, 06:35 PM

91 posts, read 82,082 times
Visit the Security Square Mall. It's an indoor, safe climate-controlled mall, but for when you want a little of the hood experience.

Seriously, though, I experience moments of the hood when I take the Light Rail from BWI to Hunt Valley. It's somewhere early on in the ride with the people in my train car and passing through Howard Street, but it changes later in the ride. One can't beat the $1.70 fare though for the distance.

Old 04-07-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadofknowledge View Post
Lmao Baltimore is NOT the only city that has a TV show or movie about its ghettos
Maybe so, but the majority of people who are new to Baltimore that I meet tell me that The Wire is the only thing they know about Baltimore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore