Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 07:28 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,371,560 times

Advertisements

Who in the hell wants to live in a majority Democrat, so-called liberal African American city where crime, apathy and self-destruction is rampant?!! A city where police brutality/corruption and political, intellectual dysfunction and racial bigotry is etched in the city's DNA. Where the education system that creates dummies, educated dummies and super-educated dummies - with a local population who are overly medicated (illegally/legally) displaying high levels of maladjusted uncivilized behave (black and white).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 07:32 AM

2,423 posts, read 2,076,032 times
I would like to add my thought. I dont believe higher taxes, crime and the school system is entirely too blame. In my view, if these factors were completely the case, then we would have a much smaller affluent communities; compared to the happenings of Midwestern cities.

I believe that people who leave take other considerations into factor. The city possesses very rude drivers who have a lack of respect for others on the road. This is a red light culture and hit and run city, not only we pay for this in our insurances, but parents have to constantly worry about their children in the road, including dirt bikes.

Homeowners in the urban area deal with package thefts, needles and trash in their yards, folks high on their side walks. Middle class areas like Canton, Fells, Fed, have a shortage of parking because the housing and rent is so expensive.

Finally, being a resident in Baltimore can become taxing. Many of us are constantly in sight of poverty, deppression, beggers, blight. There is not enough good news to replace the bad, and not everyone can handle it. I can't imagine living in a 700k Guildford Estate that is one block from poverty.

I would like to conclude that Northwest Baltimore is a perfect example of how a community can overcome the historical challenges inflicted upon them. As for Port Covington, regardless of the red tape, this city needs it as a boost. Fixing potholes and adding a few liquor stores in Sadtown is not a solution.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:39 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,502,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Who in the hell wants to live in a majority African American city, where crime, apathy and self-destruction is rampant, police brutality/corruption and political dysfunction is etched in the city's DNA in company of an education system that creates dummies, educated dummies and super-educated dummies - with a local population who are overly medicated (illegal/legal) displaying high levels of maladjusted uncivilized behave (black and white).
This just might be the most blatantly racist statement I've seen on this site. I left the City in 04 after complaining to Martin O'Malley that taxes on my new house in the city were triple that of my neighbors living a block away in established homes. His response, "if you don't like it, move to the county". I took his advice and sold for a nice profit and moved to Garrison/Pikesville area. After 13 years in Baltimore County, my taxes continued to spiral. Sold the house and moved to Texas. No state income tax, cheaper utilities, gas, food, and much nicer weather. Baltimore City has it's share of problems. It also has a lot going for it, but the taxes are an incentive for anyone to not want to live there. I loved the diversity of the city, most of my friends were African American or mixed race. But the crime, the endless blocks of abandoned homes, the parking... do not miss it! Fun to visit but I would never live there again.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:59 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,076,485 times
Quote:
After 13 years in Baltimore County, my taxes continued to spiral.
I hear you. In the city of Baltimore most people rent and don't pay taxes. So only the dumb suckers owning houses in Baltimore City foot the bill. Actually taxes in most of Maryland continue top spiral.

You have the word "stupid" tattooed on your forehead if you think moving to Baltimore City is a good idea.

Old 03-25-2017, 05:01 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,545,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappjohn View Post
In the city of Baltimore most people rent and don't pay property taxes.
Do you really believe that?

What about the landlords insurance? Or their mortgage (P and/or I)?
Does some magic fairy come around and cover these and their other costs?
Of course not.

In the real estate business, like all others, the customer pays for everything.
---

The deeper problems in Baltimore is far more accurately tracked using the INCOME tax figures.
Do some homework on the topic here: LINK

Old 03-25-2017, 08:36 AM

45,003 posts, read 59,991,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Do you really believe that?

What about the landlords insurance? Or their mortgage (P and/or I)?
Does some magic fairy come around and cover these and their other costs?
Of course not.

In the real estate business, like all others, the customer pays for everything.
---

The deeper problems in Baltimore is far more accurately tracked using the INCOME tax figures.
Do some homework on the topic here: LINK

I'm going to follow on because you alluded to something but didn't make it totally clear.

Renters most certainly pay school taxes, through their rent. No one in Maryland, unlike some states like PA, gets a separate school tax bill anyway. School taxes are rolled into the County/Baltimore City property tax bills.

The following is somewhat heresy but having rental residences isn't necessarily a bad thing for a jurisdiction. The reason is that rentals don't qualify for the Homestead Exemption so their assessments rise with the market and aren't limited to a maximum 10%/year.

And yes, I recognize some of the problems like transience inherent in rental housing.

Old 03-25-2017, 09:06 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,545,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
...having rental residences isn't necessarily a bad thing for a jurisdiction.
The reason is that rentals don't qualify for the Homestead Exemption...
This too. But I was pointing in a different direction.

Being more explicit regarding the INCOME taxes:
It's about the portion of a districts population which is a net consumer of public wealth
...relative to the portion of that district which is a net producer of public wealth.
It's impossible to eliminate all net consumers ...but there is a saturation point.

And this is the issue regarding the changing population levels the OP brings up.
To what degree the net producing singles/dinks/retirees who are moving in can offset the net producers who are leaving.
Let alone the number of net consumers remaining in place... a number which seems to never stop increasing.

Last edited by MrRational; 03-25-2017 at 10:23 AM..

Old 03-25-2017, 01:40 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,935,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappjohn View Post

You have the word "stupid" tattooed on your forehead if you think moving to Baltimore City is a good idea.
So what's your excuse?

Old 03-25-2017, 02:22 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,498,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoreJuice View Post
The mayor did say she believed that some of the stays were college students leaving the city. Over here at 21209, I have seen double the houses for sale strictly on my morning comutte. But.. These houses will get replaced with new homeowners so I'm not sure if it really counts.
The student in dorms population also dropped a little bit in 2015. I can believe it dropped in 2016 also - but not by thousands.

The number of homes for sale in 21209 dropped by 15.5% for the year ending February 2016 according to Redfin. A colleague that manages a portfolio of lower priced rental housing tells me that the demand has slacked off over the past year. That sort of supports the "poor people leaving" point of view that I have heard from some people. But where would they go?

Old 03-25-2017, 02:46 PM

45,003 posts, read 59,991,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
The student in dorms population also dropped a little bit in 2015. I can believe it dropped in 2016 also - but not by thousands.

The number of homes for sale in 21209 dropped by 15.5% for the year ending February 2016 according to Redfin. A colleague that manages a portfolio of lower priced rental housing tells me that the demand has slacked off over the past year. That sort of supports the "poor people leaving" point of view that I have heard from some people. But where would they go?

If they have Section 8 that's now portable, and has been for a number of years, so the answer could be anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore