Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Baltimore, do you FEAR gentrification??!!
Yes 2 9.09%
No 18 81.82%
Somewhat 2 9.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 08:19 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,417,247 times

Advertisements

Do you have any further information on these programs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Some urban planners have begun advocating for the city to offer incentive packages to encourage people to leave deteriorating neighborhoods to move into more stable neighborhoods in the city. This would then allow them to moth ball these abandoned neighborhoods for future development. The city can reduce Services block streets demolish structures etc to control any "vagrant" issue and essentially issue a 24/7 curfew which if you are caught in these areas you are trespassing since essentially these areas would be entirely owned by the city and no reason for a private citizen to go there.

The packages offered to the residents should make them whole by allowing them to obtain a new home in a neighborhood the city is seeking to stabilize such as some of these "edge" areas that are border zones between nice and not so nice areas. This would allow the city to focus its efforts instead of doing fooilsh things like building a brand new sidewalk and paving a street in a block that is 80 percent abandoned. They could do it instead do it in one that is 80 percent occupied and try to get the 20 percent vacancy occupied by some of these relocated residents.

Yes this type of program would be voluntary and the devil is in the details on what areas this would be targeted towards. There would be questions around investment properties and how to deal with tenants.I believe this is being done in Detroit already in some form
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 08:34 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Do you have any further information on these programs?
It was called "Moving to Opportunity"
https://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD...escription/mto

The broad strokes concept of it is fine...
but the reality looks better on paper than on the streets.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:15 AM

389 posts, read 426,706 times
I voted, no.

Old 05-05-2017, 01:29 PM

5 posts, read 5,306 times
I am looking to relocate to Baltimore City rent for a year and then move to the suburbs. I have a family, my partner and two young daughters. We live in PG County and gentrification is taking place big time. I am not moving because of the gentrification, I am moving because I want to explore another county and was hearing some great things about Charles Village, but after reading many forums and articles, I am having a change of heart. I am originally from NYC. I understand the complexities and inner workings of how cities work and NYC is a beast. When I was looking at apartments I saw a mix of apartments that was higher priced and lower priced. I even found an apartment that was for 800.00 for three bedrooms and I was like WOW! I pay 400.00 more now for a two bedroom. When I checked the address, I understand, because the apartment that I saw was for Greenwest and from what I read not a great area. I had read how diverse Charles Village and Waverly is, and saw many people speak well of it, and now I am not so sure. I am visiting tomorrow, and will see for myself what is going on. Is Charles Village and the surrounding areas really this bad?

Old 05-05-2017, 02:04 PM

2,423 posts, read 2,090,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrmistress View Post
I am looking to relocate to Baltimore City rent for a year and then move to the suburbs. I have a family, my partner and two young daughters. We live in PG County and gentrification is taking place big time. I am not moving because of the gentrification, I am moving because I want to explore another county and was hearing some great things about Charles Village, but after reading many forums and articles, I am having a change of heart. I am originally from NYC. I understand the complexities and inner workings of how cities work and NYC is a beast. When I was looking at apartments I saw a mix of apartments that was higher priced and lower priced. I even found an apartment that was for 800.00 for three bedrooms and I was like WOW! I pay 400.00 more now for a two bedroom. When I checked the address, I understand, because the apartment that I saw was for Greenwest and from what I read not a great area. I had read how diverse Charles Village and Waverly is, and saw many people speak well of it, and now I am not so sure. I am visiting tomorrow, and will see for myself what is going on. Is Charles Village and the surrounding areas really this bad?
Charles Village is not a bad neighborhood, its just home to allot of foot traffic. Johns Hopkins University makes the neighborhood slightly more desirable for criminals because of the population who resides their (alternative, hippy, type crowds). Like any neighborhood in Baltimore, it will be in fairly close proximity to a not so pleasant area. One of our most expensive neighborhoods Guildford, borders Green mount and Old York Rd, which are known for heavy drug trafficking and poverty. The Mount Washington neighborhood that feels like you're in the middle of the woods at times, is just north of the highest crime neighborhood in the city.

I will say this though, if the violence and danger was as unbearable as people say, then these neighborhoods would of been blighted years ago. So explore a little bit more in Charles Village and less Waverly and see if the city vibe is right for you. If you want a more suburban feel, I would suggest Northern Baltimore.

Old 05-05-2017, 02:17 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
I had read how diverse Charles Village and Waverly is, and saw many people speak well of it,
and now I am not so sure. I am visiting tomorrow, and will see for myself what is going on.
Is Charles Village and the surrounding areas really this bad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzKMH_kTqDk

Old 05-05-2017, 05:43 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,509,525 times
Quote:
Greenmount West is a hot neighborhood that still has a share of its past problems - but on a smaller scale. Because it is slightly off the beaten track (and it has a giant cemetery to the east,) I expect it to have less crime than Charles Village in the long run. Rehabbers are practically knifing each other in order to get shells there. In other words, I would check it out before rejecting it.

Charles Village is more established. I still has some of out of control college students; but they are less of a problem than they used to be.

Waverly has some great deals on starter homes. No reason to rent there when your mortgage payment on the the same place would be so much lower.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:34 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,486,822 times
Gentrification is occurring in areas where the crime is lower and the schools are better and close to jobs so people don't have to drive to work. I think most of the neighborhoods near the water and some areas near the better schools in the northern part of Baltimore see most change.

I don't know if people fear gentrification but I am sure most people want this crime to end or come to a crawl and have better schools. A murder a day scares most away.

Good links.

Baltimore Gentrification Maps and Data

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/oped/

Last edited by choccity; 05-08-2017 at 01:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore