Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 01:34 AM

2 posts, read 19,944 times

Advertisements

recently me and the members of my band have decided to relocate ourselves from naples, fl to baltimore, i was curious if anyone had any advice regarding a few things:

we are a young metal band consisting of 21 year olds, and we are planning to sell our personal vehicles and buy a tour van before we move up there, so my question would be where would be a good area for us to look at living, obviosuly with only one vehicle between the 4 of us, we will be relying heavily on public transportation, and since we are moving to help boost a musical career we will obviously be practicing music, so where would be a good area to live to have access to public transportation, and a place that would tolerate a band practicing (at reasonable hours of course), should we maybe considerate trying to rent a home in a town outside baltimore? becuase im concerned about how the public transportation would be outside the city, or would it maybe be a better idea to try and find an apartment in the city and maybe find a storage unit to practice in or something like that,and would living in the city be a better place for bars and things like that i know its sort of a strange question but if anyone has any advice i would appreciate it very much

p.s. ive been to the city before and i love it, and im well aware of the crime and drugs etc.. that goes on there

thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 03:33 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,573,067 times
we have a metro line and a light-rail line. you should probably find a place somewhere within walking distance to those two lines. hampden has a light rail stop and its a pretty decent area. there are also some warehouse places around there and most of the homes would have basements to practice in. you may qualify for "artist" status and could contact the city about space available to you. another possibility would be charles village which is close to transportation and downtown. the homes there also have big basements for practicing but it is a bit pricier. Station North is another area where you could possibly locate and you may get a cheaper place there through that artist status.
there is a web site for baltimore living and there is also a facility located on charles street that you should contact for further information.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:26 AM

689 posts, read 3,211,017 times
You should check out Pigtown. We have quite a few musicians living here.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:48 AM

9 posts, read 33,592 times
I've lived in Baltimore for many years and played in many bands so i can help a little.

First- public transportation is horrible in Baltimore, you don't want to rely on it. Light rail is ok, but doesn't run real late. You don't want to ride the buses.

As far as areas, I would maybe look at living in Charles Village, which is near Johns Hopkins Univ. Pretty cheap and fairly safe. Second, maybe Hamden. Where ever you move to, get a parking permit for your van, or YOU WILL BE TICKETED. Baltimore is the worst city i've ever lived in regarding this.

Here is a website of someone i know who rents practice spots- Baltimore Band Rehearsal Studios -- 3 Locations in Baltimore, Maryland Also, a good place to network with other bands.

Good luck-

SB

Old 08-11-2008, 07:03 AM

2 posts, read 3,295 times
I am relocating from Chicago, a musician with a disability, I would like to know about "Artist" Status and safe neighborhoods. How does one learn about "Artists" Status? Where might I find a network that would possibly help a musician with very little money relocate?

Old 08-11-2008, 02:46 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,573,067 times
Artist's Housing

1448 • artists' housing, inc.

Baltimore Housing - What's Going On (http://www.baltimorehousing.org/index/EventDetail.asp?ID=190 - broken link)

These are three links to help you get started. Also, you can check out:

Live in Baltimore - Home

Old 08-12-2008, 07:23 PM

393 posts, read 1,496,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolott View Post
You should check out Pigtown. We have quite a few musicians living here.
Perhaps the band Beach House? They're phenomenal.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:15 AM

56 posts, read 263,937 times
Try Waverly. Affordable places, hard-working people as well as some scuttlebutt, nearby to buslines (3,8,22,36) and can easily get to light rail and MARC trains. Parking Passes not required. Ednor Gardens is another area that is safe but is pricier. Do your research well regardless of the neighborhood.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:48 AM

103 posts, read 533,135 times
I just moved from Jacksonville FL to Balt last month. And as a musician myself, your gonna have a hard time finding a place to practice, if you intend to practice where you live.

As far as a tour van goes, the less attention you bring to that van, and your gear the longer youll keep your gear from theft.

I would suggest Catonsville, is a HUGE music town to the west of Baltimore downtown. there are music shops on every corner, and you and your gear will be out of harms reach for the most part.

I bet youll b able to rent a house that youll be able to jam in without disturbing the neibours.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:31 PM

16 posts, read 82,131 times
I agree with the last post on an area such as Catonsville or something similar in the suburbs a bit. You might also consider Hamilton/Lauraville/Parkville. Basically, anything that would allow you to rent a single family house with a basement so that practising would not be so much of an issue. I think you could run into issues with neighbors if you are going to practice in a rowhouse, unless you can soundproof the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: