Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2017, 01:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,854 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My husband & I have lived in Baltimore City for 6+ years. We love it, but we're looking to move into the suburbs for more space & a larger yard for our dogs. We found a lovely historic house for sale at a decent price in Relay, MD. I had never even heard of this neighborhood, so I'm looking for info! We were initially looking at AA County, but this is a much more convenient location for both of our jobs. When we drove by the house to see it, I was shocked at how secluded & private everything seemed considering it was in-between some major highways. Any info on the neighborhood? Resale value? Schools? Stereotypes or gossip? I want to hear it all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 01:43 PM

103 posts, read 183,890 times
I think your impressions are right about on point. Aesthetically, (and geographically) it's a cross between Catonsville and Halethorpe. I don't think there are any grocery stores within walking distance, but if you prefer the seclusion, then it seems to meet your needs. Hopefully a resident can chime in with more details.

Old 08-15-2017, 02:19 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sara1463 View Post
We found a lovely historic house for sale at a decent price in Relay, MD.
I had never even heard of this neighborhood, so I'm looking for info!
shocked at how secluded & private everything seemed...

Any info on the neighborhood? Resale value? Schools?
Access to the Marc trains and DC commuters LINK
keeps the average prices high and the schools good.

Old 08-20-2017, 11:55 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
I lived there in 1960, remember it fondly. Went to an ancient 4-room school house (bounded by Linden Lane, Rolling Rd and Cedar Ave) that is now just an office of the Baltimore County School system. There was a little country store across the street (Cockrell's) where we'd get hot dogs and cokes.

Relay has been around since Civil War days when it was a summer community for people seeking relief from the heat of the city. Lots of big old boarding houses. Amazingly it's still a largely undiscovered gem just a couple miles from the city line and also very close to both of MARC's rail lines that run between Baltimore and DC. The Camden Line stop in Relay, though I think they call the stop St Denis.

Very convenient to BWI Airport, I-95, Baltimore Beltway, B-W Parkway, US-1, UMBC and more.

I found two on zillow that are decent, including a big old colonial that's a one block walk to the MARC line. As with century-old homes you need to beware of the foundation and basement, for which the zillow ad has no pictures....hmmmm.

You may get highway noise off of I-195 which is nearby, which also took out that house I lived in in 1960 in Relay, on Rolling Rd just north of Woodland Dr.

I highly recommend Relay, it's a gem.

I was stunned at the number of blue dot homes (foreclosures) on zillow for zip 21227 where Relay is located, especially over in Lansdowne where I lived for quite a few years too. Avoid anything in Lansdowne, Riverview and Baltimore Highlands. Relay is good though.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-20-2017 at 12:12 PM..

Old 08-21-2017, 07:23 AM

675 posts, read 723,789 times
I lived in relay for 13 years. This is a very peaceful area and it is a stable area. The schools in the area are exceptional and community relations are very good.

Old 08-22-2017, 03:59 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,401,050 times
Yep Relay is cool and has an interesting history. There is a post where I have a bunch of links someplace here on CD. But it seems that there is not much usually for sale in that area Hopefully they won't try to overdevelop and ruin the place.

Please don't overdevelop or ruin what is left of the state. Relay is nice. Keep it a secret.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-28-2017 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: Deleting off topic content.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:25 AM

2 posts, read 2,854 times
Thank you all so much! We've driven through the neighborhood a few times & it looks just beautiful. I think that's our target location now. I appreciate everyone's stories & input!

Old 02-18-2019, 07:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,040 times
I lived in St. Denis from birth 1953 until 1976. One block from the tracks and 1 mile from Calvert Whiskey...the smell of the hops still fresh in my mind at the age of 65. I had the most wonderful childhood..safest place in the world. We played in the state park and in the river. At that time there were two waterfalls...which we played under all the time collecting crawfish and putting them back. It was away from the rest of the world. We even had a little grocery store around the corner that my mom would send me to get fresh ground beef or whatever we needed....Wygant Grocery...Loved those people. There is a grave yard behind the original house that owned all of the property at one time and all that are buried there are Suttons...the main street name coming into that quaint little area. As you go on your way on Rolling Road (which is full of rich history) you continue over the railroad bridge and into Relay..now a historical registered town. Some of my best friends from Relay Elementary still live there in passed down homes that will forever stay in the families. My school had 5 classrooms and the best teachers. Under the school is a closed down bomb shelter that was built when the school was built. My sisters now in their 80's went to the original Relay school which was actually a house. What a beautiful great place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore