Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2008, 04:57 PM

2 posts, read 5,009 times

Advertisements

We (myself, my wife, two kids: 3 & 1) will be moving to Baltimore sometime this year, and are looking for something in north Baltimore. Our price range is only around $275,000-$325,000. We want to find an area that has families/kids and is comparatively safe, but we also want to be in an interesting area with a bit of an urban feel to it, as opposed to a suburb. A friend told us that we might want to check out 21212, south of the city line, for suitable possibilities in our price range. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 05:49 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,590,914 times
Neighborhoods you may want to consider are Arcadia, Beverly Hills, Lauraville. There are a few others up that area also that are neat. I lived in Arcadia and it has a real nice aura about it: trees, wide range of homes, hardly any crime. A friend of mine is selling her home up there. I believe they are all in 21214.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:59 PM

33 posts, read 170,086 times
My husband and I just recently moved to Lauraville and it is much like what you are looking for. We are very happy here and we have wonderful neighbors. Houses are def. within your price range and there are lots of kids on our street. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions. Good luck with your search!

Old 03-14-2008, 01:45 AM

2 posts, read 17,292 times
Default Advisory

Please, do not move into any part of Baltimore (county or city). I'm saying this for your children's sake, it's not worth the time you will have to spend being good parents, watching them and trying to have them not follow the bad crowd which is ramped in the city. It will be more work than you bargained for, It would be a peace of mind for you to live somewhere else.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:21 AM

866 posts, read 2,627,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIdeaNow View Post
Please, do not move into any part of Baltimore (county or city). I'm saying this for your children's sake, it's not worth the time you will have to spend being good parents, watching them and trying to have them not follow the bad crowd which is ramped in the city. It will be more work than you bargained for, It would be a peace of mind for you to live somewhere else.
I respectfully disagree with the above posting. Many families live a quality life in the city. There are many nice parts of Baltimore City and County, just as there are some really bad parts. In addition to the recommended neighborhoods of Lauraville, Arcadia, etc., I do suggest looking at the 21212 zip code, especially around Belvedere Square. The neighborhoods of Lake Evesham and Belvedere Square itself are nice, and the houses have a lot of character.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:33 AM

2 posts, read 5,009 times
Default still moving to the city

Thanks for the suggestions. We will definitely look in the Lauraville/Arcadia area, as well as around Belvedere Square. We're just hoping to find a place with some character to it, as well as some families with children. I have checked out Belvedere Square itself -- it seems like a cool little area, including an interesting looking old movie theater -- it would be nice to be able to be within walking distance of a block like that. If we can find something fairly nice in that area that we can afford, I think that would be our preference. But we will absolutely check out Lauraville/Arcadia. Is Hamilton similar to those areas as well?

Old 03-14-2008, 07:35 PM

33 posts, read 170,086 times
Hi again Terpsfan -- I don't know where you live currently but Saturday Lauraville is having sort of an Open House showcasing some brand new businesses that have just opened up in the neighborhood on Harford Road. It may be worth checking out to see what the neighborhood has to offer and to meet some of the neighbors. Here's the info:

Saturday, March 15th! The Lauraville Ides of March open house is a
go!

In celebration of all the new businesses sprouting on Harford Road,
the
Ides of March Open House is a neighborhood grand opening party of
sorts,
where we invite you to check out all of Lauraville's brand new
offerings.
In addition to getting your candy at Rock Candy needs met, make sure
to check out the
offerings of Bediboo (a super cute children's boutique), Studio C
(jewelry),
Spinster Yarns and Fibers (great yarn and accessories), Beth's D.I.Y.
Workshop (bought a B-more fixer-upper? Beth will teach you to make
the
best of it), Great Soul Wellness Studio (yoga, drumming, dance,
acupuncture... you'll feel better already after a free, open house
class!).

Thank you to the Red Canoe and Chameleon Cafe for coordinating this
event for the new businesses!

4:00 at the Red Canoe, you'll have not one, but TWO chances to win big
on
Saturday! There will be one raffle for an awesome easter basket filled
with goodies from Lauraville businesses. The other raffle will be a
50/50
raffle for those that feel extra lucky, with 50% of the proceeds going
to
the amazing Donovan Fund, a non-profit dedicated to assisting
Baltimore's
senior citizens. Get tickets at Rock Candy, Red Canoe or any of the
businesses mentioned above for just $1.

There's going to be much more going on that you'll want to take
advantage of, so tell your friends! (Show them our green ad in this
Wednesday's City Paper!)

Rock Candy events for the great March 15th Open House are as follows:

11:30-1:30 We'll be showing a Kid-Friendly movie; seats are first
come,
first serve.
1:30-9:00 we'll be tasting an assortment of locally made Pembra's
Sweet
Treats along with fine wines (first come, first serve again).
4:30-6:30 We'll have Rock Band set up in the theater for anyone ready
to
Rock!
7:00 The return of the Donovan Film Festival! They'll be screening
Gold
Diggers of 1933 (please RSVP if you're interested in attending.)

All day we'll have popcorn, sample candy, and delicious Vosges hot
chocolate.

At Great Soul Wellness Studio, we will be offering free wellness
consultations
(acupuncture, massage, reiki and shiatsu), discounted massage and
treatments, and free classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore