Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 08:41 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,487,932 times

Advertisements

Baltimore got some good press instead of the usual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 09:05 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I'm so proud of the city of Baltimore and I'm glad the city did this. It should've been done along time ago. I hope the entire country follows Baltimore's actions. Confederate monuments are not only racist but anti-American as well. Those who oppose the removal of the monuments, please learn that the Union won the war and the Confederate army were traitors and terrorists to this country. They should not be celebrated or honored in this great country. We don't put up monuments of Al Qaeda or Isis statues in our public places and the Confederacy should not be an excuse either. The Confederacy is dead! To the victor go the spoils!
Life must be very simple to view events with such black and white blinders. No, I'm not some Confederate apologist, but I know enough of my family's history to understand my great-grandfather in the Alabama Confederate Army was no traitor or terrorist (he was 50 when my grandpa was born and my grandpa was 70 when I was born in 1960 so yeah, I have a great-grandparent who fought in the Civil War). Just a poor tenant farmer caught up in an event vastly bigger than himself or his family. I'm quite proud of his participation in the most important chapter in this country's history. I can be proud of him without sympathizing with the South. I'm also quite happy things turned out the way they did or I would have never been born.

As far as Baltimore's memorials, I had no idea there were even there. I did look them up and two of them were quite beautiful. That one ugly old dude sitting down was no loss though. Of course the city can do whatever they wish and they should be the only ones weighing in on it. Outside agitators need to go away. I don't quite understand this zero sum proposition regarding Confederate memorials though. Why not just balance them out with memorials and public art commemorating the many great figures in African-American history and the struggles of their people plus Union memorials. You know, have a complete picture of the history of all sides. I'm not sure if its true or not but I read Baltimore's mayor said they would be destroyed, not relocated. That seems a bit of a shame.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:20 PM

1,235 posts, read 732,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I see some of you self-proclaimed "smart" people either don't know much US history or don't understand it.

Yeah, Baltimore was so pro-Union Lincoln had to sneak through it on the way to his Inauguration and there were anti-Union riots when federal troops went through the city a month later with martial law declared statewide a month later.

That means that people in Baltimore were both anti-Lincoln and anti-Union.

Personally I don't give a rat's ass what you guys do about the statues. My concern, and it's been going on in other facets of History education for awhile, is how much history will now be required to be ignored. Hell you see it here in the various threads denying this or that about Maryland history or how terms are redefined to fit a narrative.

How in the world can it be "required to be ignored?" This, especially since America's history books, films, documentaries and museums are full of the history? I don't get that.....

I guess you believe that out of sight = out of mind. That's just not true. America will always have reminder of this history as long as Blacks reside in this country.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:21 PM

1,235 posts, read 732,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
No but the Germans do not keep up monuments of Hitler or Nazi's in public squares nor name their schools after Nazi's in their country either.
^^^^This right here!!!

Old 08-16-2017, 10:23 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,560,674 times
^^After what happened in Charlottesville, it was very necessary to move swiftly and under the radar to prevent any White nationalism crazies from mobilizing in Baltimore City. Thumbs up to Pugh.

Old 08-17-2017, 04:02 AM

45,356 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGoldenLife View Post
How in the world can it be "required to be ignored?" This, especially since America's history books, films, documentaries and museums are full of the history? I don't get that.....

I guess you believe that out of sight = out of mind. That's just not true. America will always have reminder of this history as long as Blacks reside in this country.
Have you taken a look at the newest editions of US History books used in Maryland schools? The last one, the newest one available bough for the 2013-2014 school year, "rearranged" what was covered to adapt to the new adopted curriculum.

Using WW II as the example, the section on the Japanese internment was longer, with more required supplemental materials available, than the rest of the unit on the war. The second longest was concerning the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The supplementals were mostly dealing with the morality of that.

You see it here in some threads, deliberate changing and misstatements of facets of Maryland history, even recent events, school quality, poverty rates. The whole schmear. I do have to say that it's more prevalent in discussions about Prince George's than Baltimore. This Forum is mostly posters just starting troll threads.

Old 08-17-2017, 05:31 AM

613 posts, read 463,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
^^After what happened in Charlottesville, it was very necessary to move swiftly and under the radar to prevent any White nationalism crazies from mobilizing in Baltimore City. Thumbs up to Pugh.
Oooh, Baltimore would not have let that fly. Can you even imagine a Nazi march on, like, North Ave?

I'm so proud of Baltimore. For once, my city did something right.

Old 08-17-2017, 06:21 AM

20,104 posts, read 9,011,934 times
Baltimore is much more dangerous today than it was during the Civil War. Good job Baltimore!

Old 08-17-2017, 06:31 AM

190 posts, read 167,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMysterious View Post
Oooh, Baltimore would not have let that fly. Can you even imagine a Nazi march on, like, North Ave?

I'm so proud of Baltimore. For once, my city did something right.
Don't worry about any alt-right marchers in Baltimore, they are too cowardly to march where there are any actual black people. They marched in Charlottsville, which is 20% black.

Remember the morons a couple years back driving around Dundalk in a pickup with a confederate flag waiving, harassing the few blacks they saw on the street? Those losers didn't have the nerve to try that on North Avenue, Penn. Avenue, or Fulton Street. Cowards, the lot of them.

Old 08-17-2017, 06:37 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,422,588 times
Brooks and Johnny (they are like white gods in this town!). smh. I feel you though! Brooks was nice

I will insult anything I deem NEEDS insulting, so Pollack Johnny's, picking crabs and downing fried yard bird with ketchup/saltnpeppa gulping it down with a high fructose syrupy flavored water is cultural lunacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Hey now! Don't be insulting the chicken box!
zLet alone Brooks or Johnny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GyA4T742AM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore