U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 01:14 PM

689 posts, read 2,250,520 times

Advertisements

LOVE the photos!! I hope there is a way your photo posts can be archived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 07:15 PM

429 posts, read 422,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
Excellent photos! I miss Baltimore!

Howard Street has so much potential, it's unbelievable that it hasn't developed more already. All that architecture, such a truly urban part of Baltimore. If only they would give the light rail traffic signal priority!
Is there a legitimate reason why this is not currently the case? It almost seems pointless to have a train that has to obey local automotive traffic systems.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:14 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,252,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
Is there a legitimate reason why this is not currently the case? It almost seems pointless to have a train that has to obey local automotive traffic systems.
The light rail vehicles are already equipped with signal preemption technology, but I think I remember reading somewhere that the City doesn't want to disturb traffic flow, saying that the majority of traffic in that area goes East-West. Personally, I think it's ridiculous because when the trains reach Howard Street, they move so ridiculously slow that it would be faster to get out and walk. I believe that pretty much every other light rail system in the country uses signal preemption, so of course Baltimore doesn't

Old 03-24-2008, 06:28 AM

4,178 posts, read 9,276,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
The light rail vehicles are already equipped with signal preemption technology, but I think I remember reading somewhere that the City doesn't want to disturb traffic flow, saying that the majority of traffic in that area goes East-West. Personally, I think it's ridiculous because when the trains reach Howard Street, they move so ridiculously slow that it would be faster to get out and walk. I believe that pretty much every other light rail system in the country uses signal preemption, so of course Baltimore doesn't
You are so right about that. It drives me nuts and usually I just do get out and walk unless I have to go beyond that stretch.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:01 AM

9 posts, read 18,181 times
Default can you assisst me?

Hi, great pictures! I am thinking of moving to 8 N. Howard St,
your pictures showed the bldg. that I am contemplating, Avalon Apts.,
can you tell me what you think of the area for a mature single woman?
I am really not sure, love the apt., but not sure of the area, safety, etc.?
Can you give me your thoughts?
thank you

Old 02-07-2010, 01:23 PM

4,178 posts, read 9,276,096 times
The area is perfectly fine. There is a lot of development plans for this area and once the economy gets zooming again it will be even better. The Avalon is fine. I would be a little concerned at night but then again, I am concerned when walking at night anywhere in most cities. U of M is right around the corner so there is lots of pedestrian traffic and the Hippodrome is not far either. Just be careful when walking at night would be my suggestion.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:14 PM

4,386 posts, read 11,645,249 times
Beautiful photos jonjj! Baltimore is my favorite for all its character!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore