U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 11:53 AM

11 posts, read 37,847 times
Hi Carolott,

I would definitely agree with the sentiment. Of course, once we go into why students at the University would suggest people stay away from that side of MLK is probably the perception that it is a high crime area. I actually drove to the Poe house while my girlfriend was at her interview and right around that area there were these really junky houses, abandoned lots, boarded up houses, and questionables hanging out. Those probably don't contribute to the image of that area being safe. I would also assume to the residents and people who have been there long enough and know the area and people, it is much less intimidating than to the students at UM who may come from much different environments and are not used to having to deal with a slightly more "real" urban experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 01:00 PM

4,179 posts, read 8,902,402 times
The area around the Poe home is in tough shape. That's for sure.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:21 PM

689 posts, read 2,178,402 times
The Poe house is on Amity Street -- and yes, it's a rough area. But there are indeed some really nice neighborhoods on this side of MLK, closer to Ridgely's.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:33 PM

I agree. There are some great areas near it. I really wish the city would clean up that area by the Poe House though. I take a lot of visitors there and everyone's responses when they visit it are the same.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:51 PM

Yeah, given the proximity to the University, I would imagine some commercial development there would do well especially if they raze the abandoned homes and built a pedestrian bridge over MLK. Maybe make it like a little square with coffee shops/cafes and you'll get the lunch crowd.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:54 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,109,592 times
Calbear -- Everything depends on your time frame. If you are going to be in Baltimore only for a few years, I wouldn't buy in this market but rent. However, if your time frame is longer than that, the possibilities are unlimited. carolott's Pigtown is one neighborhood for risk takers with a long horizon, so is Poppleton, a black neighborhood near the Poe House where the university is building at a lightning speed. It's going to be gentrified, but you have to deal with lots of stuff over the next few years. It's got lots of old properties.
The first house I looked at in Baltimore was one of those tiny houses on Dover Street. It had been rehabbed and the asking price in the mid-1970s was $27,000. But I decided it was just too confining even for a single person.
During that exercise I met a real estate guy who told me how the system works, when I asked about the area's history. "A historic area is an area that the real estate industry targets," he advised me. "When that happens, we come up with the history."

Old 03-20-2008, 11:55 PM

Barante -- I think my thinking is that perhaps I can get a place that is near the school and renting it out would cover most of the mortgage after we move. I am defintiely concerned with how big those Dover St. houses are as someone said they're about 650 sq. ft. finished (including the basement) which would be tiny as heck.

As for the historical area comment, I would totally agree. No offense to RidgelyD but it seems like the "reasons" why an area is historic sound very general like "this area was a place where people lived and there was so and so factory here". =D

Old 03-21-2008, 04:07 AM

Very good points but let's not forget the fact that many of the neighborhoods in Baltimore are over 100 years old and many more are approaching that. Many neighborhoods applied for "historic" qualification from the state and feds.They did so before the big real estate boom. They met the criteria and have since been designated historic. There are still many neighborhoods in the city that have not done that for whatever reason and maybe as gentrification occurs, it will happen.
National Register of Historical Places - MARYLAND (MD), Baltimore County

Old 04-04-2008, 12:08 PM

2 posts, read 5,170 times
Hey, I'm in a similar situation. I live in Miami, got accepted to UMB Pharmacy school, and looking for a safe place to live with decent housing prices. If you dont mind letting me know what you've found out so far that would be great. Thanks!

Old 04-05-2008, 09:03 AM

234 posts, read 700,343 times
As for the comment about Ridgley's being more safe than Pigtown, it's just not true. In fact, if I remember correctly, there was more serious crime in the Ridgley's neighborhood last year, including a women who was shot by a couple of gangsters right through her front door. There was also a guy riding around on a bicycle robbing students and professionals with a 9mm pistol. He was never caught. There was a fair amount of crime in Pigtown too, but to say that one neighborhood is more safe that the other is not accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore