Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 09:52 AM

390 posts, read 502,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post

According to the Moynihan Report, issues with single mother homes, fatherless homes, these issues went back to the 1950s. It was blamed on the ghetto culture that could be traced back to slavery and was reinforced in the South during Jim Crow. [URL]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Negro_Family:_The_Case_For_National_Action[/URL]

Man, you didn't even read the rest of this Wiki page that you cited, which states:

" [URL="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Sowell"]Thomas Sowell[/URL], a black economist who is right-leaning politically, has also praised the Moynihan Report on several occasions. His 1982 book Race and Economics mentions Moynihan's report, and in 1998 he asserted that the report "may have been the last honest government report on race".[URL="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Negro_Family:_The_Case_For_National_Action#cit e_note-14"][14][/URL] In 2015 Sowell argued that time had proved correct Moynihan's core idea that African-American poverty was less a result of racism and more a result of single-parent families: "One key fact that keeps getting ignored is that the poverty rate among black married couples has been in single digits every year since 1994."[URL="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Negro_Family:_The_Case_For_National_Action#cit e_note-15"][15][/URL]"

While Slavery certainly did affect the Black family, obviously through the breaking up of the Black families to sell them....but after Slavery was abolished, the Black family unit became increasingly, more intact....up and through the Jim Crow era. During the Jim Crow era, Blacks born to unwed parents was about THIRTY PERCENT! It's more than 70% right now! Holy **** if that doesn't tell you what ONE of the major problems is, if not the biggest problem.

When did the steady & continuous decline in the 2 Parent household for Blacks begin? Around the time when that evil bastard, Lyndon Johnson instituted his "Great Society" designed to enslave the populace through programs such as welfare.

"A standard reference on the subject by University of Minnesota historian Steven Ruggles in 1994 is most often taken as evidence of the uninteresting—that, gosh, in the old days poor black people didn’t find single parenthood unusual. What is actually more important in its findings is that, from 1880 to 1960, fewer than one in three black children nationwide didn’t grow up with two parents. Another key statistic, from Barbara Agresti in 1978, is that, just past emancipation, in 1870 in Walton County, Florida, about 57 percent of black children lived with two parents; just 15 years later, 89 percent did. Or, as St. Clair Drake and Horace Cayton told us in Black Metropolis, in Chicago in the 1920s, it was considered a problem that just one in seven black children were born to single mothers. What’s more, that number went down during the Depression, not up.

Data like this are important because they show that the reason so few black children grow up without fathers today is not a mere matter of economics or, more graphically, because black men without college degrees find it so hard to get decent work that they abandon their children. After all, black people living under the vicious racism of 100 years ago nevertheless tended, very strongly, to form two-parent families."

[URL]https://newrepublic.com/article/91933/slavery-black-families-single-parents[/URL]

Last edited by LSone; 01-08-2018 at 10:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 06:35 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,371,560 times
Quote:
Data like this are important because they show that the reason so few black children grow up without fathers today is not a mere matter of economics or, more graphically, because black men without college degrees find it so hard to get decent work that they abandon their children.
Soley relying on skewed data. What is the purpose of mentioning Thomas Sowell's work?! He's just conservative black economist with no economic plans or and infrastructure to assist Black people in gaining true economic power in this country. Black men with college degrees find it hard to get decent work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSone View Post
Man, you didn't even read the rest of this Wiki page that you cited, which states:

" Thomas Sowell, a black economist who is right-leaning politically, has also praised the Moynihan Report on several occasions. His 1982 book Race and Economics mentions Moynihan's report, and in 1998 he asserted that the report "may have been the last honest government report on race".[14] In 2015 Sowell argued that time had proved correct Moynihan's core idea that African-American poverty was less a result of racism and more a result of single-parent families: "One key fact that keeps getting ignored is that the poverty rate among black married couples has been in single digits every year since 1994."[15]"

While Slavery certainly did affect the Black family, obviously through the breaking up of the Black families to sell them....but after Slavery was abolished, the Black family unit became increasingly, more intact....up and through the Jim Crow era. During the Jim Crow era, Blacks born to unwed parents was about THIRTY PERCENT! It's more than 70% right now! Holy **** if that doesn't tell you what ONE of the major problems is, if not the biggest problem.

When did the steady & continuous decline in the 2 Parent household for Blacks begin? Around the time when that evil bastard, Lyndon Johnson instituted his "Great Society" designed to enslave the populace through programs such as welfare.

"A standard reference on the subject by University of Minnesota historian Steven Ruggles in 1994 is most often taken as evidence of the uninteresting—that, gosh, in the old days poor black people didn’t find single parenthood unusual. What is actually more important in its findings is that, from 1880 to 1960, fewer than one in three black children nationwide didn’t grow up with two parents. Another key statistic, from Barbara Agresti in 1978, is that, just past emancipation, in 1870 in Walton County, Florida, about 57 percent of black children lived with two parents; just 15 years later, 89 percent did. Or, as St. Clair Drake and Horace Cayton told us in Black Metropolis, in Chicago in the 1920s, it was considered a problem that just one in seven black children were born to single mothers. What’s more, that number went down during the Depression, not up.

Data like this are important because they show that the reason so few black children grow up without fathers today is not a mere matter of economics or, more graphically, because black men without college degrees find it so hard to get decent work that they abandon their children. After all, black people living under the vicious racism of 100 years ago nevertheless tended, very strongly, to form two-parent families."

https://newrepublic.com/article/9193...single-parents

Old 01-09-2018, 09:36 AM

16,357 posts, read 10,372,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Soley relying on skewed data. What is the purpose of mentioning Thomas Sowell's work?! He's just conservative black economist with no economic plans or and infrastructure to assist Black people in gaining true economic power in this country. Black men with college degrees find it hard to get decent work.
Thomas Sowell holds a doctorate from the University of Chicago. He currently serves as Senior Fellow at the Hoover Institution at Stanford University. He has been awarded the National Humanities Medal, among other awards. He served on the faculties of Cornell University and UCLA, among others. He has written more than 30 books. And he served in the U.S. Marine Corps during the Korean War.

But you don't agree with his political views, so you just casually dismiss him.

When you have achieved a fraction of what he has, in whatever your chosen field is, get back to me.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:04 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,347,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSone View Post
Yup, part of "their" goals seem to be the erosion of 1st World society and the American Blacks, seem to be their guinea pig or something for their social engineering experiments. We've seen the project of Pres. Johnson's Great Society and how welfare rewarded single motherhood. They'd have Social Service come by to check and see if the father was home and if yes, then no welfare check. So daddy leaves home for a week each month, until it got pretty fun for him and he rarely came home after that (making more kids with multiple women). The rate of children out of wedlock went from 25% in 1965 to 73% in 2015 for Blacks. The Black family unit was greatly more intact during the Jim Crow era.

Then we see the CIA pumping in the drugs to wreck the **** out of the Black communities. So it shouldn't be that far fetched that Rap to Gangster Rap is another operation. All it takes is coordination with the music industry. But Black people can't seem to figure out who the real enemy is, and it's not the Republicans....it's actually both..... them and the Democrats...but they'd always hang onto the Dems' "breastesses" for dear life during every elections, no matter what = suckers.
I'm coming around to this view. Something sinister is a foot detached from logic really.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:37 AM

675 posts, read 717,103 times
Quote:
Makes sense to me. Add to this that women in black families have to work and have to care for their children as well. This puts a lot of on the mother of these children. Add to this is research that a mother substitute like another member of the family does not consistently work for the best when it comes to the psycho -logical development of the child. The theory behind this is that the infant knows the mother and has feelings of abandonment when raised by someone else other than the mother. In Europe when the mother has a child the mother and child are given financial support for about a year and a half so the bonding between the mother and child is sufficient enough for the child to feel secure. I think once it is established who the father of the child is he should have to do something constructive to benefit himself, the family, the community ETC.

Is it really that hard for black males to find employment in Baltimore ? I see help wanted signs everywhere. When I graduated from college I could not find a job in my field immediately so I worked in construction for about 18 months. When I did find a job in my field I started out making about have of what I made in construction.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:11 AM

Quote:

When you have achieved a fraction of what he has, in whatever your chosen field is, get back to me.
Look man! I'm not dismissing any Black man who's strive and achieved anything in this country. I know you white conservatives love to put up Negroes like Thomas Sowell, Dr. Walter Williams Glen Loury as "show n****rs" on what can be accomplished in America with hard work, education, military service and that good stuff.

Smh. Sowell is just another bourgeoisie negro conservative intellectual with NO REAL PLANS. Within in his 30 books, has he laid out a blueprint for economic empowerment for African Americans communities?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Thomas Sowell holds a doctorate from the University of Chicago. He currently serves as Senior Fellow at the Hoover Institution at Stanford University. He has been awarded the National Humanities Medal, among other awards. He served on the faculties of Cornell University and UCLA, among others. He has written more than 30 books. And he served in the U.S. Marine Corps during the Korean War.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Rap may be a cause of these problems or it may be a symptom of them.
American, I think you need to do some further reading on Hip Hop and Black youth culture before making ludicrous claims on something you truly don't understand. You really are unqualified to navigate a discussion on Black youth culture (whether you think is a "cultural rot" or not).
Quote:
("Acting white" is not generally seen as a compliment in this context.)
*This is funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Listening to that stuff isn't doing the white kids any favors either.

I used rap as an example of the larger problem, which is cultural rot. The toleration, or even celebration, of antisocial and criminal elements. The denigration of others who wish to excel, especially in terms of education. ("Acting white" is not generally seen as a compliment in this context.) The demand for "respect," despite the absence of having done anything worthy of it, and the willingness to use violence if one has not been shown a sufficient quantity of it. The refusal to delay gratification. The unwillingness to marry the mother or father of your child, to say nothing of the unwillingness to defer having children before marriage.

Rap may be a cause of these problems or it may be a symptom of them. Probably more of the latter, but at least some of the former as well. But that's not the point. The point is that there is cultural decay afflicting segments of the black population (and others as well, but not to the same proportional extent, at least not yet), and it's causing a huge host of problems. I don't know how to fix it; but I do know that a lot of other problems could be fixed, or made better, if this one were addressed.

Old 01-19-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Look man! I'm not dismissing any Black man who's strive and achieved anything in this country. I know you white conservatives love to put up Negroes like Thomas Sowell, Dr. Walter Williams Glen Loury as "show n****rs" on what can be accomplished in America with hard work, education, military service and that good stuff.

Smh. Sowell is just another bourgeoisie negro conservative intellectual with NO REAL PLANS. Within in his 30 books, has he laid out a blueprint for economic empowerment for African Americans communities?!!
I don't know of Dr. Sowell so if I somehow said something that implied that I did I did not mean too. I am from the age of Malcom X and Dr. King both of whom I happen to like. There are
clearly black men, even many of them my neighbors whom I genuinely think are hard working individuals and I think that is so with most Baltimoreans but I also see 15 young adult men almost daily during the warmer months hanging around in front of my house doing absolutely nothing. I have talked with some of them (and all but one are very friendly) about what they are going to do with themselves and they shrug off the notion of doing much of anything. As I look back on my life there were times when I thought the same way but for the most part I wanted to work, go to school and do something with my life. My main concern about Baltimore is the crime here

Old 01-21-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The problem is there are NO conservatives. Republicans are not conservatives, nor do they have the b*lls to actually do something that would help the situation. It seems the politicians of both parties are fine with Blacks killing each other. Yes, all the big cities have been run by Democrats for 50 or 60 years, and should take more of the blame, but the Republicans are complicit.

Our "justice" system is about revenue generation, and perpetuation of the revolving door criminals. They have no incentive to reduce crime, and violent crime.
I agree with this 100% Add to this that Baltimore is am mecca for criminals and LAWYERS.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:32 AM

8,150 posts, read 13,212,823 times
Is it me.. or does it seem crazy to sit in ones car, at night, on a deserted street or sketchy area??? I have noticed plenty of folks sitting in their cars in random places where it seems odd to sit in ones car AT NIGHT. I don't even mean letting it warm up mind you.. just sitting in the car that are not even running.. often solo with the glare of the cell phone on your face...I barely sit in my car in front of my own home, at night, with the exception of warming it up in the am (never let your car warm up unoccupied for obvious reasons unless you have a garage. ) Assuming one is not doing drugs or waiting to buy drugs or sex.. it seems foolish in this day and time to do so.. Yes in a perfect world you SHOULD be able to sit in YOUR car anywhere on a public street. BUT...With all of these " victims were shot while sitting in their car" stories going on.. it makes me wonder why in the world someone would risk it on some parts of our city. Sitting in your car oblivious to your surroundings make you the perfect target for robbery, car jacking, or potentially mistaken identity for someone who is worried about being "stalked" for some type of revenge activity and they see you sitting outside or near where they frequent/reside...SMH

Last edited by Woodlands; 01-22-2018 at 08:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore