U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-07-2018, 05:14 AM
 
6 posts, read 9,652 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I grew up in the Hamilton-Lauraville-Overlea area as a kid, but when I was 12 (I'm 35 now) my family relocated to Pennsylvania.

I was back in the area over this Christmas visiting relatives I hadn't seen in years. While the area is still mostly how I remembered, one thing's changed: it's nowhere as white as it used to be. I was surprised to see storefront churches, nail salons and MetroPCS dealers on Harford Road. Even on upper Belair Road by the Overlea Diner has gotten "ghetto" looking now.

There's still obviously white residents (more in Lauraville I noticed), but it's definitely much, much blacker than I recall as a kid. When exactly did the demographics of the area change and what happened to cause this many blacks to move in (it was 90% white when I was a kid in the early 90s).

Not trying to start a racial argument/discussion, just asking a legit question. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-07-2018, 09:50 PM
 
1,307 posts, read 1,092,115 times
Reputation: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonFreeman98 View Post
I grew up in the Hamilton-Lauraville-Overlea area as a kid, but when I was 12 (I'm 35 now) my family relocated to Pennsylvania.

I was back in the area over this Christmas visiting relatives I hadn't seen in years. While the area is still mostly how I remembered, one thing's changed: it's nowhere as white as it used to be. I was surprised to see storefront churches, nail salons and MetroPCS dealers on Harford Road. Even on upper Belair Road by the Overlea Diner has gotten "ghetto" looking now.

There's still obviously white residents (more in Lauraville I noticed), but it's definitely much, much blacker than I recall as a kid. When exactly did the demographics of the area change and what happened to cause this many blacks to move in (it was 90% white when I was a kid in the early 90s).

Not trying to start a racial argument/discussion, just asking a legit question. Thanks!
I just took a look at Policy Map and it appears that Belair Road is ground zero for loss of white population since 2000, with big decreases between 2000 and 2010 and slower changes during this decade. The decreses in white populations have probably slowed down becasue there are now less white people to lose. I don't have any Census info, but I think that the trend in NE Baltimore started in the 90s.

There have also been big losses in white population in southwest Baltimore. The center of the city, areas within two miles of Charles and North, are gaining white population overall. Belair Edison is the big exception to that trend - but it on Belair Road and following the Belair Road trend. In case you want to check it out for yourself, I think Policy Map still gives out free memberships: https://www.policymap.com/maps
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2018, 10:44 PM
 
6 posts, read 9,652 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
I just took a look at Policy Map and it appears that Belair Road is ground zero for loss of white population since 2000, with big decreases between 2000 and 2010 and slower changes during this decade. The decreses in white populations have probably slowed down becasue there are now less white people to lose. I don't have any Census info, but I think that the trend in NE Baltimore started in the 90s.

There have also been big losses in white population in southwest Baltimore. The center of the city, areas within two miles of Charles and North, are gaining white population overall. Belair Edison is the big exception to that trend - but it on Belair Road and following the Belair Road trend. In case you want to check it out for yourself, I think Policy Map still gives out free memberships: https://www.policymap.com/maps
Here are Census stats I found for 19 tracts that compromise the Harford and Belair Road corridors. As you can see, Belair Road has experienced much more dramatic white flight than Harford Road has.

801.01 [Belair-Edison, Mayfield] - 90% white [1990], 35% white [2000], 24% white [2010]
2601.01 [Cedmont] - 84% white [1990], 56% white [2000], 34% white [2010]
2601.02 [Frankford-Cedonia] - 67% white [1990], 32% white [2000], 14% white [2010]
2602.01 [Gardenville, Frankford] - 46% white [1990], 28% white [2000], 12% white [2010]
2602.02 [Parkside] - 43% white [1990], 13% white [2000], 9% white [2010]
2603.01 [Belair-Edison] - 81% white [1990], 18% white [2000], 7% white [2010]
2603.02 [Belair-Edison] - 59% white [1990], 19% white [2000], 7% white [2010]
2701.01 [Arcadia] - 85% white [1990], 64% white [2000], 44% white [2010]
2701.02 [Waltherson] - 93% white [1990], 47% white [2000], 25% white [2010]
2702 [Lauraville, Beverly Hills] - 81% white [1990], 66% white [2000], 53% white [2010]
2703.01 [Lauraville, Morgan Park] - 64% white [1990], 46% white [2000], 34% white [2010]
2703.02 [Waltherson] - 93% white [1990], 61% white [2000], 43% white [2010]
2704.01 [Glenham-Belford] - 89% white [1990], 57% white [2000], 29% white [2010]
2704.02 [Glenham-Belford] - 97% white [1990], 70% white [2000], 44% white [2010]
2705.01 [Woodhome, Overlea] - 99% white [1990], 84% white [2000], 64% white [2010]
2705.02 [Westfield, Rosemont] - 96% white [1990], 75% white [2000], 45% white [2010]
2706 [Hamilton] - 84% white [1990], 58% white [2000], 39% white [2010]
2707.02 [Hamilton] - 54% white [1990], 40% white [2000], 27% white [2010]
2707.03 [Upper Harford Road] - 91% white [1990], 79% white [2000], 60% white [2010]


The only track I didn't include was 2707.01, a tract on Northern Parkway and Perring Parkway compromising exclusively of apartments. That tract was over 90% black in all three years, thus making it an extreme outlier.

2601.02 and 2602.02 had majority minority populations in 1990 presumably due to the presence of several large apartment complexes in the southern half of both of them near Sinclair Lane.

2603.01 is quite dramatic: from 81% white in 1990 to 82% minority a decade later - a perfect 180. I remember Belair-Edison was going downhill even as a kid, had no idea it's demographics shifted that fast.

Last edited by GordonFreeman98; 01-07-2018 at 11:30 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2018, 07:23 AM
 
6,434 posts, read 9,758,410 times
Reputation: 1846
The other part of the demographic shift that is occurring is that East Baltimore particularly around JHU is being redeveloped which is pushing more residents that live on the east side into the NE. Those trends will likely continues as public housing and older apt complexes on the east side are redeveloped as SE property becomes more scarce and redevelopment creeps north along Broadway Patterson Park and Central Ave. NE is still convenient for residents that used to live on the east side to still access transit to downtown or the suburbs. Housing in the NE may also be slightly better (yards in the case of Belair Edison and Single Family detached in the case of Overlea and Gardenville). These homes may also be cheaper to rent or buy when compared to comparable homes of similar size in the east. The change in retail also may also reflect this shift in customer base
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2018, 01:54 PM
 
6 posts, read 9,652 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
The other part of the demographic shift that is occurring is that East Baltimore particularly around JHU is being redeveloped which is pushing more residents that live on the east side into the NE. Those trends will likely continues as public housing and older apt complexes on the east side are redeveloped as SE property becomes more scarce and redevelopment creeps north along Broadway Patterson Park and Central Ave. NE is still convenient for residents that used to live on the east side to still access transit to downtown or the suburbs. Housing in the NE may also be slightly better (yards in the case of Belair Edison and Single Family detached in the case of Overlea and Gardenville). These homes may also be cheaper to rent or buy when compared to comparable homes of similar size in the east. The change in retail also may also reflect this shift in customer base
Yup I've heard others mention JHU. Let's not forget the demolition of Lafayette Courts in 1995, Hollander Ridge in 2000 and Flag House Courts in 2001 must have also been a contribution, along with the closure of the Claremont-Freedom housing project around that time as well.

The black migration has also begun to work its way into the County into Parkville and Overlea, albeit at a much slower pace: whereas the main Harford Road tracts have gone from 80-95% white in 1990 to 35-60% black by 2015, Overlea and Parkville's black percentage is now around 20-30% (both suburbs had black percentages of under 5% in 1990).

And yes, the white population in the Harford Road area (Hamilton and Lauraville) has declined at a much slower rate than Belair Road's as both the Census tracts and my personal trip confirmed: whereas the Belair Road-fronted neighborhoods are now about 70-85% black, the Harford Road-fronted neighborhoods are generally about 40-65% white (probably closer to 70-75% in far northern Harford Road near the County line and in the Beverly Hills-Arcadia area of Lauraville)

Last edited by GordonFreeman98; 01-09-2018 at 02:11 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2018, 07:31 AM
 
Location: Texas or Cascais, Portugal
3,613 posts, read 3,353,920 times
Reputation: 8894
I lived in Arcadia back in the 80s through the mid 90s and it was my favorite neighborhood of anywhere I have lived before or since. GREAT friends and neighbors who were involved in the community. But, as crime continued creeping in, folks became more insulated; no more large groups hanging out in Herring Run Park at nights while our dogs played, fewer community yard sales and clean up parties. With burglaries, drug dealing and violent crime, we left. I stopped by the old neighborhood about 4 years back and an old friend was still living there. He said the neighborhood had gone from his little piece of paradise to a hell hole and said he should have left when we did. Bottom line is, with high crime, folks who can leave, will leave. The police cannot really contain it so I don't put the blame on them. I still have great memories of Arcadia but, have moved across country to live in an area that is affordable, has very low crime and decent neighbors.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2018, 08:02 PM
 
3,062 posts, read 2,827,086 times
Reputation: 5821
This didn't happen in Overlea when you lived there, did it? The comments in the second link give the neighbor's reactions.

Teenagers charged as adults in armed carjacking in Overlea

Wife Of Man Attacked By Teens During Carjacking Speaks To WJZ « CBS Baltimore
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2018, 02:07 AM
 
1,162 posts, read 2,030,591 times
Reputation: 2587
NE Baltimore was the last large middle class "white" areas in Baltimore by 1990, although I'm surprised at how white it still was as recent as 1990 for I seem to remember the big transitions happening throughout the 1980s. I wonder if it was the young families who started leaving in the 1980s due to schools and crime, and then the elderly started dying off in the 1990s?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2018, 07:39 AM
 
6 posts, read 9,652 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post
NE Baltimore was the last large middle class "white" areas in Baltimore by 1990, although I'm surprised at how white it still was as recent as 1990 for I seem to remember the big transitions happening throughout the 1980s. I wonder if it was the young families who started leaving in the 1980s due to schools and crime, and then the elderly started dying off in the 1990s?
I believe the transition already started earlier than that, in the 70s. But it was initially confined to garden apartment/townhouse complexes such as the Dutch Village/Wellington Gate complex on Northern Parkway at Perring Parkway, the Parkside Gardens and Goodnow Hill-Holly Lane complexes at Moravia and Sinclair, and the Garden Village complex on Cedonia Avenue. Those became black in the 70s/80s.

It wasn't until the 90s that the single-family neighborhoods started seeing black homeowners move in.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2018, 09:12 AM
 
1,492 posts, read 685,101 times
Reputation: 793
This is not just happening there. I have seen a lot of this happen in Cockeysville. If there wasn't a lot of Apartments I doubt I would see that much of it.
Crime sure drove a lot of people out of the city in the late 80's, early 90's, and many of them were not just white. They were Black.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top