Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2018, 02:27 PM

151 posts, read 147,533 times

Advertisements

Ive read some older posts on Bel Air and Harford County but I would like to hear some more recent feedback on life in Bel Air.

Possibly looking at opportunities at APG and I know people commute from DE even PA. Assuming Bel Air is considered the nicest close suburb to APG? Any other areas folks consider for typical family friendly suburbia with very good schools?

I won't lie Baltimore or close to it frightens me from a crime perspective so no interest at all there.

Is Bel Air generally a good place to live? Assuming the city nightlife options are BMore or even Philly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 02:31 PM

45,344 posts, read 60,522,810 times
https://www.belairmd.org/

It's a small town.

I know most of the Town Commissioners and have worked with them on a couple issues.

Old 03-08-2018, 06:47 PM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASRGUY View Post
Assuming Bel Air is considered the nicest close suburb to APG? Any other areas folks consider for typical family friendly suburbia with very good schools?

I won't lie Baltimore or close to it frightens me from a crime perspective so no interest at all there.

Is Bel Air generally a good place to live? Assuming the city nightlife options are BMore or even Philly?
I think Bel Air is the nicest place close to APG, especially North Bel Air. There are homes in the $400-500K price range and schools rather 9 or 10 of 10 at GreatSchools.org. I don't think you would have much crime to worry about there. But you could check a website like SpotCrime.org for an address in Bel Air. Also use the streetview in Google Maps to check a neighborhood.

Old 03-09-2018, 11:53 AM

151 posts, read 147,533 times
Thanks for the input consensus seems Harford County is the best burb near APG.

Old 03-11-2018, 03:37 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,447,207 times
Harford County is a county not a suburb. There are suburbs and there are small towns and there are rural areas.

Not all suburbs are created equally. Bel Air is fine as is Forest Hill and the general area around there. Other parts of Harford such as Aberdeen are increasingly low end (but cheaper). Some petty crime, drugs and even some prostitution in the low rent areas of Aberdeen.

The "nicest" suburbs are adjoining Baltimore City and northern Baltimore County, going by incomes and demographics, not Harford County, which is resolutely middle class suburbia. But if that's what you want then Harford is just fine and dandy. You'll just buy into the subdivision you can afford.

Old 04-18-2018, 05:30 PM

4 posts, read 5,202 times
Bel Air is decent. A bit of a typical suburb with a downtown track and some events throughout the year. You find your big box stores more so closer to Bel Air and Abingdon.

The other area people look is Havre de Grace. It sits on the water with a more traditional looking downtown area. Lots of newer suburb-like developments around the old city. The old city has a a mix of homes that haven't been updated in a while, old well-maintained homes, and homes being renovated/flipped. However, things change very slowly in HdG. Depends on what you are interested in but worth a look.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:01 AM

179 posts, read 356,037 times
Bel Air is great. Schools have great teachers, police officers (Harford County Sheriff, Bel Air Police, and MD State trooper all patrol the area) seem nice enough. Everything you need is nearby: UMMC Upper Chesapeake Hospital, Target, Walmart, Giant, Starbucks, Royal Farm, IHOP, Chili's, and a new Chipotle on Rock Spring Rd. Relatively decent restaurants nearby as well, and lots of food and shopping choices within a half-hour drive to places like IKEA, White Marsh Mall and Towson Mall. You get all the convenience of a big city while living in a relatively insular suburb.

Only gripe I can think of is MD-24 should be made into a highway without the lights and use exits/roundabouts instead to improve traffic flow down to the I-95, and Mountain Road should be made into a 4-lane road with thru-way for that mega church (blocks traffic all the time) down to the I-95.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:04 AM

25 posts, read 42,641 times
Baltimore crime isn't as bad as people make it out to be. I mean yes if you are in certain parts of West Baltimore at night then you might go home without your personal belongings. For the most part though Baltimore County is very safe especially as you go farther north.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:07 AM

25 posts, read 42,641 times
Also Bel Air is more of a town. It has your typical chain restaurants. Also has many car dealerships from VW to BMW. Personally I go up there to get my car serviced and it is nice and I wouldn't worry about crime. Just use common sense with property such as don't leave your phone in the cupholder and expect it to be there when you come back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore