Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 05:12 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,086,741 times

Advertisements

The Baltimore mayor is full of liberal nonsense, here's more proof!

In a cramped convenience store on Pennsylvania Avenue, she peered into a booth where a cashier stood behind plexiglass.
“What time do you-all close?” the mayor asked the man behind the counter.
“11:30,” the cashier replied.
“Isn’t that late?” the mayor said. “That’s a little late. It keeps the crowds around here. Nine o’clock is nice. We need you-all to close at 9 o’clock at night.”

It appears she is trying to drive legitimate store out of business in Baltimore, while protecting the criminals.
She is very soft on crime and believes in creating more poverty, buy reducing the number of legitimate jobs in Baltimore.

Is it any wonder why crime is growing out of control in Baltimore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 06:19 PM

450 posts, read 798,722 times
Show me the ordinance Madam mayor. Otherwise, I'm open until 11:30.

Politicians think they know what's best for you.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:43 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,487,932 times
When did she say this? On the news or in the paper?

Old 04-26-2018, 09:50 AM

3,766 posts, read 4,102,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choccity View Post
When did she say this? On the news or in the paper?
Everywhere.

Baltimore Merchants Push Back Against Mayor Pugh’s Claim That Corner Stores are Crime Hubs | WCBM-AM

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddri...ubs/vp-AAwlLyH

https://www.reddit.com/r/baltimore/c...corner_stores/

https://es-la.facebook.com/baltimore...56359404479712

Old 04-26-2018, 02:40 PM

8,232 posts, read 13,353,185 times

Interesting.. it seems the Police Commissioner is offering a more reasonable approach instead of telling a business to close early. Actually TALK to the businesses and find out the types of criminal activity that is occurring around them and work TOGETHER. From my personal perspective.. there are a few seafood take out joints that I periodically frequent but they are not in the best parts of town.. If I pull up and a crowd of folks are just "hanging out" I find somewhere else to spend my money.. There are times however that I have pulled up and a BPD Car is sitting on the street monitoring the entire commercial district...and I have stopped and gone in to patronize that same business. My point being, BPD, residents and businesses need to work together to create a safe and welcoming environment for customers.. that will be the "win win" for all. Closing early is only effective with places like Liquor Stores, Night Clubs, and places that often attract unsavory element or people under the influence and that could prey or be preyed (not prayed) upon themselves because of their drunken condition..In fact, in short of taking their license and closing them.. it should be the first step towards penalizing places where there are problems. A carry out or a convenience store shouldn't fit that bill unless they are simply fronts for illegal activity inside.

All of this said.. the business shouldn't live in a glass house.. You got to keep your kitchen clean, not only for health reasons, but it will certainly give the City a reason to close you early if not for good...:0

Old 04-26-2018, 03:38 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Interesting.. it seems the Police Commissioner is offering a more reasonable approach instead of telling a business to close early. Actually TALK to the businesses and find out the types of criminal activity that is occurring around them and work TOGETHER. From my personal perspective.. there are a few seafood take out joints that I periodically frequent but they are not in the best parts of town.. If I pull up and a crowd of folks are just "hanging out" I find somewhere else to spend my money.. There are times however that I have pulled up and a BPD Car is sitting on the street monitoring the entire commercial district...and I have stopped and gone in to patronize that same business. My point being, BPD, residents and businesses need to work together to create a safe and welcoming environment for customers.. that will be the "win win" for all. Closing early is only effective with places like Liquor Stores, Night Clubs, and places that often attract unsavory element or people under the influence and that could prey or be preyed (not prayed) upon themselves because of their drunken condition..In fact, in short of taking their license and closing them.. it should be the first step towards penalizing places where there are problems. A carry out or a convenience store shouldn't fit that bill unless they are simply fronts for illegal activity inside.

All of this said.. the business shouldn't live in a glass house.. You got to keep your kitchen clean, not only for health reasons, but it will certainly give the City a reason to close you early if not for good...:0
You hit on one thing, proactive policing. I don't mean stop and frisk, but just being visible will most times move the problem on before it starts.

Now, if Mayor Pugh is serious about business hours then she can introduce legislation to that effect.

Down here the Countys' Liquor Boards drop the hammer and yank the liquor licenses of businesses that have issues. And a lot of times it's just one incident.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:39 PM

The mayor has bad ideas, just like the other Md democrat politicians.
She should be supporting business and shutting down the criminals.

But no, she does just the opposite.
Baltimore needs more businesses not less, as it is decaying.

Old 04-27-2018, 11:40 PM

118 posts, read 126,121 times
Quote:
Pugh repeated her criticism of the stores during a walking tour of Penn North this week. Her claims are backed by some community leaders, who associate the businesses with drug dealing.
She blames everyone except the CRIMINALS!!!

If she was honest and blamed members of the African-American community who are committing these crimes and those in the AA community who enable and look the other way on drug dealers and abusers, she would be committing political suicide. So she goes after easy targets (immigrant small business owners) that have no political influence and cant fight back.

She's pathetic!

Old 04-28-2018, 10:23 AM

777 posts, read 881,278 times
The small business owners don't have political
influence? Are you kidding? They are more powerful
than the average voter because they let their
campaign contributions speak for them. You
don't see their influence because it is done behind
closed doors.

As for the Mayor, I think she does not have a clear
understanding of political protocol. It would have
been better for her to greet warmly and take notes
and pictures. She then could have held a meeting
with the targeted merchants and bring up the matter
of their blighted stores.

Old 04-29-2018, 04:47 PM

Maybe the mayor will ask the Orioles to leave the city while she's at it?
She has already reduced the number of people that attend games, with her soft on crime
approach. People don't feel as safe going downtown anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore