Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 08:38 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,085,714 times

Advertisements

I noticed questionable people watching people leave the stadium whenever I went to a game recently. They appear to looking for an easy person to rob or snooker somehow. If you walk too far from the stadium or don't take public transportation you may be sorry! Back in the day Orioles games were safer to go to. The crime has nothing to do with the Orioles losing, so Thanks democrats!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2018, 05:20 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,397,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappjohn View Post
The team losing has nothing to do with the Democrats, so Thanks Orioles!
Fixed for logic, accuracy, and reasoning.

Old 06-16-2018, 06:38 AM

6,708 posts, read 6,711,443 times
Another problem is how small a market Baltimore is now. When the Senators (even before my time and I'm 45) were failing, DC metro wasn't much bigger than Balt metro. Today's DC's the 6th largest media market, Baltimore 26th, and has been surpassed in recent years by Charlotte, Portland and Raleigh/Durham.

The Orioles have been bottom half of attendance every year in the last decade, except when they barely made the top half in '14, the year of their LCS run. This is also with the help of an army of visiting Yankees and Red Sox fans. They've been outdrawn by DC every year since Nats Park opened, which is in a gentrifying neighborhood surrounded by far less criminal activity than you have in Baltimore. Moreover, the central city is one of just a few in MLB that has lost population this decade. Doesn't really matter what happened 60 years ago, I think the future of the Orioles, and especially the fan experience, is going to look more like the present.

Old 06-16-2018, 01:23 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,085,714 times
Baltimore is shrinking in population, due to the crime, high taxes, poor schools, sexual pedators. The counties are growing but most of their residents dont go to baseball games.

Old 06-16-2018, 05:06 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Another problem is how small a market Baltimore is now. When the Senators (even before my time and I'm 45) were failing, DC metro wasn't much bigger than Balt metro. Today's DC's the 6th largest media market, Baltimore 26th, and has been surpassed in recent years by Charlotte, Portland and Raleigh/Durham.

The Orioles have been bottom half of attendance every year in the last decade, except when they barely made the top half in '14, the year of their LCS run. This is also with the help of an army of visiting Yankees and Red Sox fans. They've been outdrawn by DC every year since Nats Park opened, which is in a gentrifying neighborhood surrounded by far less criminal activity than you have in Baltimore. Moreover, the central city is one of just a few in MLB that has lost population this decade. Doesn't really matter what happened 60 years ago, I think the future of the Orioles, and especially the fan experience, is going to look more like the present.
I think a combination of things hurt the Orioles. As you mention, they are not a large market and they can no longer draw extra fans from the DC metro area. There is no real "experience" in visiting Camden Yards. Nats Park is really nice, and with the metro right near the stadium, people can go into DC afterwards. Nats are in an affluent, white collar DC metro AND have a consistently winning team, so not only do everyday fans buy tickets, but corporate firms probably buy up a good amount of tickets/suites for clients. Baltimore and the Orioles don't have that same affluent and corporate environment to drawn on, and there is really nothing around Camden Yards (restaurants/bars) to go to afterward. Here in Chicago, after a Cubs game at Wrigley, you can have almost as much fun afterwards with all the activity (almost too much) in Wrigleyville.
Even on the South Side where the Sox play, Bridgeport has a decent amount of bars and some really good eats spots.

The Orioles aren't competitive at all, and when your GM gives Chris Davis a max contract like he did, when no other team took the bait to offer him anything close to what the Os did, you know you're in trouble (especially given that you had a young multiple-dimensional stud in Machado who you knew you'd have to pay to keep). Bottom line, the future doesn't look good for the Os. They also are one of the few teams who have never figured out how to develop a good farm system or scout and bring in international players. Sad because I was a teen during Ripken years, and loved them.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:26 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,397,087 times
Was just at the game vs the Marlins yesterday—a nail biter and a great time. Walked to dinner in Fed Hill afterwards. It was a great evening for baseball.

Old 06-19-2018, 08:47 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,960,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I think a combination of things hurt the Orioles. As you mention, they are not a large market and they can no longer draw extra fans from the DC metro area. There is no real "experience" in visiting Camden Yards. Nats Park is really nice, and with the metro right near the stadium, people can go into DC afterwards. Nats are in an affluent, white collar DC metro AND have a consistently winning team, so not only do everyday fans buy tickets, but corporate firms probably buy up a good amount of tickets/suites for clients. Baltimore and the Orioles don't have that same affluent and corporate environment to drawn on, and there is really nothing around Camden Yards (restaurants/bars) to go to afterward. Here in Chicago, after a Cubs game at Wrigley, you can have almost as much fun afterwards with all the activity (almost too much) in Wrigleyville.
Even on the South Side where the Sox play, Bridgeport has a decent amount of bars and some really good eats spots.

The Orioles aren't competitive at all, and when your GM gives Chris Davis a max contract like he did, when no other team took the bait to offer him anything close to what the Os did, you know you're in trouble (especially given that you had a young multiple-dimensional stud in Machado who you knew you'd have to pay to keep). Bottom line, the future doesn't look good for the Os. They also are one of the few teams who have never figured out how to develop a good farm system or scout and bring in international players. Sad because I was a teen during Ripken years, and loved them.
No fan experience huh? Everything is within walking distance from Camden Yards. Park, and walk over to the Stadium (Remember that at Memorial Stadium). Or take the rail. That is really a BS comment! Fells Point is just walk, or hop on the Bus and ride over. And Canton, Fed Hill, Mount Vernon....
Market size. Hmmm, I wonder how they rate that. Just like the folks that take the Census. Based on what people tell them whether accurate or not.
If Raleigh Durham, Portland, Charlotte are such big markets where are their Baseball Teams?
Not enough Corporate money? BS!!!
Bottom line is Angelos! That carpetbagger has, and always will be the problem. His fingerprints are all over this team! 5 Winning Season in 21 years?
And they had a great Farm System. Quit it. Are you even from here?

Ownership.....
Ownership.....
Ownership.....

Until that changes nothing will.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
No fan experience huh? Everything is within walking distance from Camden Yards. Park, and walk over to the Stadium (Remember that at Memorial Stadium). Or take the rail. That is really a BS comment! Fells Point is just walk, or hop on the Bus and ride over. And Canton, Fed Hill, Mount Vernon....
Market size. Hmmm, I wonder how they rate that. Just like the folks that take the Census. Based on what people tell them whether accurate or not.
If Raleigh Durham, Portland, Charlotte are such big markets where are their Baseball Teams?
Not enough Corporate money? BS!!!
Bottom line is Angelos! That carpetbagger has, and always will be the problem. His fingerprints are all over this team! 5 Winning Season in 21 years?
And they had a great Farm System. Quit it. Are you even from here?

Ownership.....
Ownership.....
Ownership.....

Until that changes nothing will.
I'm not even going to bother reading all your incoherent rambling. Yes, smart guy, Angelos is a major part of the problem, but there are problems.

What is “everything” in walking distance of Camden Yards??? Yeah, you couldn’t list any specifics. BS comment!!!

I said Baltimore is a much smaller market than DC, again, showing you lack of basic reading comprehension. Another BS comment!!!

Tell me when they had this great farm system??? You must be a real old-timer, OLD MAN, because it hasn’t been anytime recently, unless you’re also delusional in addition to your lack of reading comprehension. Quit it!!!

Yes, I’m originally from Howard County. Are YOU from here???

It’s clear to everyone that you know absolutely nothing about baseball, or why Camden Yards is empty and the Orioles are terrible!!!

Old 06-19-2018, 10:01 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,960,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I'm not even going to bother reading all your incoherent rambling. Yes, smart guy, Angelos is a major part of the problem, but there are problems.

What is “everything” in walking distance of Camden Yards??? Yeah, you couldn’t list any specifics. BS comment!!!

I said Baltimore is a much smaller market than DC, again, showing you lack of basic reading comprehension. Another BS comment!!!

Tell me when they had this great farm system??? You must be a real old-timer, OLD MAN, because it hasn’t been anytime recently, unless you’re also delusional in addition to your lack of reading comprehension. Quit it!!!

Yes, I’m originally from Howard County. Are YOU from here???

It’s clear to everyone that you know absolutely nothing about baseball, or why Camden Yards is empty and the Orioles are terrible!!!

The below comment's are accurate.

Everything is within walking distance of Camden Yards. A 3 minute walk. No. Still a lot very close by. And a lot is a 3 minute walk away. Unless some major physical impediment the Harbor is a 10 minute walk away. I did name entire areas. I really need to name every bar and restaurant? They are all over the place.

I have seen throngs of people walk from Fells Point, and even Canton over to the stadium. As well as for Football.

Again if the markets that I mentioned are so big than how come they lack baseball teams?

The O's have had a great farm system. I guess never has a different meaning to some people.

Nothing around the Stadiums? That is just not even remotely accurate.

It's Angelos. Everybody knows it. Combined with down sports attendance. League wide. Who has the money to attend Sporting Events, or even Concerts. It's insane what these things cost now.

https://www.google.com/search?source....0.1aRwgQOcw3A

Old 06-20-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post

The below comment's are accurate.

Everything is within walking distance of Camden Yards. A 3 minute walk. No. Still a lot very close by. And a lot is a 3 minute walk away. Unless some major physical impediment the Harbor is a 10 minute walk away. I did name entire areas. I really need to name every bar and restaurant? They are all over the place.

I have seen throngs of people walk from Fells Point, and even Canton over to the stadium. As well as for Football.

Again if the markets that I mentioned are so big than how come they lack baseball teams?

The O's have had a great farm system. I guess never has a different meaning to some people.

Nothing around the Stadiums? That is just not even remotely accurate.

It's Angelos. Everybody knows it. Combined with down sports attendance. League wide. Who has the money to attend Sporting Events, or even Concerts. It's insane what these things cost now.

https://www.google.com/search?source....0.1aRwgQOcw3A
What??? BS comment!!! Even if you’ve seen people walk from Canton and Fells Point, no way, no how can that be considered “close” to Camden Yards You’ve lost all credibility even mentioning those as examples! I’m done wasting my time arguing with you! Bye!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore