Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 04:36 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,965,185 times

Advertisements

The ignore list is growing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 05:31 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
Lol, that thin-skinned huh?

Old 09-20-2018, 07:36 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,448,499 times
Quote:
I almost never post on this forum anymore but am making an exception today. You seem to have trouble understanding that people value different things, which I remember from a thread that talked about Hampden. Stoneleigh is a lovely neighborhood with well-designed houses, tree-lined streets, one of the best elementary schools in Baltimore County that most neighborhood kids can walk to, a very popular neighborhood pool, several retail strips within walking distance, and is close to both Towson and Baltimore. The people who buy into Stoneleigh are also buying for a strong sense of neighborhood. It is for this reason that house prices are high and sell briskly.

There is also nothing wrong with Cockeysville or the York Road corridor north of the Beltway. It tends to appeal to different people than the buyers in Stoneleigh. And that's fine too.

Shouting ignorance only tells others how ignorant you are.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:46 PM

There is not one ounce of ignorance in the simple fact that Stoneleigh is not as nice is the suburbs just a few miles to the north.

This is the comment you made below. So you know my age, and know about biking around here? Everything you mention is around here?

Talk about ignorance.

And who the hell bikes or walks to anything around here anyway. Everybody owns a car. I am lucky if I see five cyclists week.

I never see anybody with any level of affluence walking, or cycling to anything. Only in the city. Must be my observation bias.

I have lived in Roland Park for longer than you were likely alive. I'm well aware of Hampden and how much the area has changed and that it's rapidly becoming one of the more expensive (per square foot) areas to live with widespread gentrification and the explosion of the Avenue and now even Falls Road as a destination point for dining and shopping. I'm surprised, but pleasantly surprised, especially as I well remember Hampden in the 1980s and 1990s.

You talk about biking to Wegmans or Walmarts or Targets. Those are suburban big box stores and supermarkets (and I'm not sure if I would trust myself to cycle the heavily trafficked York Road corridor or the wide roads surrounding Hunt Valley Center as there are no dedicated cycle lanes from what I can tell).

Many young people would rather be able to walk to upscale bars and craft breweries and wood burning oven pizzerias. Which they can in Federal Hill or Canton or Hampden.

There is nothing wrong with preferring Wegmans or Walmarts over a craft brewery or bistro, but that preference varies from person to person. It's worthwhile to understand that while some people would prefer proximity to Wegmans, others will prefer proximity to the Avenue in Hampden or the bars and restaurants of Fells and the general atmosphere that comes with it.

Only OP knows which he prefers.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:07 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,448,499 times
The more you post, the more your ignorance comes through. I think you simply live in a very different world and that's why you have difficulty accepting or believing that not everyone values the things you do or that plenty of people are paying top dollar for things you don't value.

Quote:
There is not one ounce of ignorance in the simple fact that Stoneleigh is not as nice is the suburbs just a few miles to the north.

This is the comment you made below. So you know my age, and know about biking around here? Everything you mention is around here?

Talk about ignorance.

And who the hell bikes or walks to anything around here anyway. Everybody owns a car. I am lucky if I see five cyclists week.

I never see anybody with any level of affluence walking, or cycling to anything. Only in the city. Must be my observation bias.

I have lived in Roland Park for longer than you were likely alive. I'm well aware of Hampden and how much the area has changed and that it's rapidly becoming one of the more expensive (per square foot) areas to live with widespread gentrification and the explosion of the Avenue and now even Falls Road as a destination point for dining and shopping. I'm surprised, but pleasantly surprised, especially as I well remember Hampden in the 1980s and 1990s.

You talk about biking to Wegmans or Walmarts or Targets. Those are suburban big box stores and supermarkets (and I'm not sure if I would trust myself to cycle the heavily trafficked York Road corridor or the wide roads surrounding Hunt Valley Center as there are no dedicated cycle lanes from what I can tell).

Many young people would rather be able to walk to upscale bars and craft breweries and wood burning oven pizzerias. Which they can in Federal Hill or Canton or Hampden.

There is nothing wrong with preferring Wegmans or Walmarts over a craft brewery or bistro, but that preference varies from person to person. It's worthwhile to understand that while some people would prefer proximity to Wegmans, others will prefer proximity to the Avenue in Hampden or the bars and restaurants of Fells and the general atmosphere that comes with it.

Only OP knows which he prefers.

Old 09-25-2018, 05:44 PM

146 posts, read 174,213 times
It also depends on how much you like old houses with smallish rooms. I don't, but to each his or her own. Baltimore County has many very good schools and there are many very nice neighborhoods above the beltway. Lutherville comes to mind. I used to live very near, but not in, Stoneleigh. I just never liked the area that much. Getting up and down York is a pain, not that many good restaurants, etc. I now live in north Baltimore County, probably further up then you want to go, but live is easy. Lots of good schools. It is nice being close to Oregon Ridge park (lots of kid activities there). And you get much more house for your money.

Old 09-26-2018, 01:53 PM

2,423 posts, read 2,092,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post
I almost never post on this forum anymore but am making an exception today. You seem to have trouble understanding that people value different things, which I remember from a thread that talked about Hampden. Stoneleigh is a lovely neighborhood with well-designed houses, tree-lined streets, one of the best elementary schools in Baltimore County that most neighborhood kids can walk to, a very popular neighborhood pool, several retail strips within walking distance, and is close to both Towson and Baltimore. The people who buy into Stoneleigh are also buying for a strong sense of neighborhood. It is for this reason that house prices are high and sell briskly.

There is also nothing wrong with Cockeysville or the York Road corridor north of the Beltway. It tends to appeal to different people than the buyers in Stoneleigh. And that's fine too.

Shouting ignorance only tells others how ignorant you are.
Hello Tally. We miss you around these parts.

Old 09-27-2018, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver110 View Post
It also depends on how much you like old houses with smallish rooms. I don't, but to each his or her own. Baltimore County has many very good schools and there are many very nice neighborhoods above the beltway. Lutherville comes to mind. I used to live very near, but not in, Stoneleigh. I just never liked the area that much. Getting up and down York is a pain, not that many good restaurants, etc. I now live in north Baltimore County, probably further up then you want to go, but live is easy. Lots of good schools. It is nice being close to Oregon Ridge park (lots of kid activities there). And you get much more house for your money.
Careful, you might be ignorant and not value things as much as others.

My biggest problem with Stoneleigh is it's to close to the hood.

Old Lutherville has had a few very nice homes for sale in the last few years.

And if you don't move to far off of York Road there are nice houses that you could walk 10, 20 minutes to anything including the light rail. Walked to the light rail yesterday because I did not feel like waiting for the bus. (Half an hour walk)

Seminary Avenue and further north.

Stoneleigh can be quaint, with attractive homes but that location.....

Houses sell briskly all over the area, and new homes for high dollar amounts which makes little sense often times for what they are.

Two houses were built on a vacant property on the corner of Warren, and Greenside. Later at night until early morning it's quite but after that? And they were ridiculously overpriced. $500,000 for two small houses in what most would think is not a good location. And yep, sold.

Last edited by Digger 68; 09-27-2018 at 06:29 AM..

Old 09-27-2018, 06:11 PM

Sorry those houses I said sold for $500,000 sold for that each. Just to clarify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore