Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 05:41 AM

65 posts, read 115,640 times

Advertisements

Thinking of moving to Baltimore, in a year or 2. I'm into computer science. Computer Forensics to be exact. I was wondering is BALTIMORE growing? Is it trying to compete with cites like Charlotte, Atlanta? Is it growing, building and keeping up with modern technology? Is it stuck in the old steel mill days? Do you see Baltimore really changing in the next ten year? What do you see happening in ten years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 05:03 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,962,274 times
Until they figure out why for 80 years the areas that surround the harbor have such high crime, and much of Howard Street looks like a dump I wonder. It's improved a lot in many ways in the last 20 years, especially the last 15, but much of that is it's more affordable to live than in places like Boston, and New York, and Chicago. And who has been coming down here for decades....people from Boston, and New York, and Chicago. Other places as well, but a lot from those places.
Young, educated why come here of all places. I guess your job might have you in DC, and DC is very expensive. Many people from DC have come up here as well. And to funny, Georgia is another place where they are coming from. Is Atlanta getting that expensive.

Old 08-16-2018, 05:17 PM

537 posts, read 768,720 times
I think for tech it is definitely growing. Literally read an article about this just yesterday. I'll try to remember the source. Not going to lie, I'm not super familiar with computer forensics. Sounds defense oriented. Defense is big in the Baltimore and DC metro regions, also law enforcement.

It's hard for Baltimore to compete with Charlotte and Atlanta because (my opinion of course) people in those states (from leadership to random resident) don't seem to actively divest from those urbanized/urbanizing areas in the same way people in Maryland actively divest from Baltimore AND none of those cities are that close to other major urban areas (Baltimore competes with DC and Philadelphia, and you could probably argue Northern Virginia). When more people feel like Baltimore has value and is worth investing in, it will be a much stronger contender in the region for a place like DC. But Baltimore will always have to make massive gains to stand out next to DC. Could major gains occur in the next decade? Sure. But it would require long-term, visionary, and patient leadership and a willing and patient resident population.

I'm interested in other's thoughts on this though.

Old 08-16-2018, 07:43 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,509,915 times
With the inevitable Hogan reelection, divestment from Baltimore will continue and increase. I do, however, predict that state investment in Baltimore will not go below zero. So, at least we have a baseline! The OP seems to agree with my friends that only successful places should receive investment, and that Baltimore is going to have to figure out how to get rich before it can receive any recognition from the rest of the state. That's a tough climb, but, that is the way it is. The city is going to have to turn boatloads of lemons into tankers full of lemonade. There is no other option.

Most people don't know that the city's population is already getting dramatically more prosperous, growing way more than twice as fast as the rest of the State over the past five years. Education levels are also increasing much faster than in the rest of the state (except Queen Anne's County for some reason.) The problem is that trends, even powerful trends, mean nothing if the city has to catch the rest of the state immediately or it will get put to bed with no dinner. But who needs dinner anyway?

Old 08-16-2018, 08:05 PM

It is interesting that the "Innovation Cities" listing just came out. It ranked Baltimore tied for 44th in the world, behind Atlanta, tied for 19th, and ahead of Charlotte, tied for 89th. Anyway, that hardly matters, because Baltimore ranked behind DC, tied for 19th and Philadelphia, tied for 26th. Because Baltimore is behind its neighbors, it is a backwater. And just like the income and education gaps with DC, catching up is hard. By the way, Baltimore is ahead of Philly in income and education. But that doesn't matter either!

Old 08-17-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
It is interesting that the "Innovation Cities" listing just came out. It ranked Baltimore tied for 44th in the world, behind Atlanta, tied for 19th, and ahead of Charlotte, tied for 89th. Anyway, that hardly matters, because Baltimore ranked behind DC, tied for 19th and Philadelphia, tied for 26th. Because Baltimore is behind its neighbors, it is a backwater. And just like the income and education gaps with DC, catching up is hard. By the way, Baltimore is ahead of Philly in income and education. But that doesn't matter either!
Link.....

Old 08-17-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
Link.....
https://www.innovation-cities.com/in...-global/13935/

The standings came from another City-Data thread. I'm not sure exactly how they match up with the scoring in the report.

Old 08-17-2018, 04:04 PM

Baltimore moved up 13 spots on that list. The first 20 are the major cities of the world.

Old 08-20-2018, 06:22 AM

https://www.innovation-cities.com/in...mericas/13951/

Old 08-20-2018, 06:27 AM

is Baltimore all crime? Every conversation about Bmore is thats a bad area. Whats it like in Bmore? Do you see a lot of new business growing? New condos being put up? New tech areas? Atlanta is always adding and building and tearing down the old and build up new this and that. What about Baltimore? Is it the same there? Or is it a big city small city thinking. Is Baltimore become a dead city or dying city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: