U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-01-2008, 08:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,433 times

Advertisements

I was interested in moving to the Northwest Baltimore area. Any suggesstions on where to look for homes or specific communities that are relatively safe. The Forest Park, Howard Park, Ashburton communities have really nice homes and are very nicely priced. What are these areas like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 09:32 PM

1,958 posts, read 4,249,827 times
Default NW Baltimore

You may want to search the forum by using the names of those neighborhoods. I have discussed these communities several times.
I am a big fan of Ashburton because it is convenient to the Metro and the expanding Mondawmin Mall. I have no idea as to what has happened to prices there recently or how many houses are for sale. But during the real estate craziness, Ashburton prices remained very reasonale, compared to similar white neighborhoods.
All the neighborhoods you mention were undervalued even before the real estate market collapsed. Two reasons: Buppies are not interested in old Baltimore City neighborhoods; they want to live in brand-new homes in Howard and Baltimore counties. Since whites buyers do not consider a community like Ashburton for racial reasons, the market was relatively weak. So the next few months ought to present some very compelling price situations for a knowledgeable buyer.
These are all adjoining neighborhoods. I like houses in Hanlon Park, around Carlisle, and near the Forest Park golf course. Seems to me that in America a golf course location has inherent value. There is one stately red-brick colonial in particular on Hillsdale that I like; it may be vacant. Which prompts the following observation: Residents in these neighborhoods are aging, although Ashburton seems to have attracted some new blood.
I would be remiss if I did not mention Arlington. Big old houses, although recently some owners have razed wrecks and built new houses there. The ambience on some blocks of Groveland is quite wonderful. Big old trees. Proximity to the Metro is a plus. The neighborhood has some prostitution and drug issues, although police have recently aggressively kept Garrison Boulevard clean.

Last edited by barante; 04-01-2008 at 09:45 PM..

Old 04-02-2008, 03:24 PM

3,405 posts, read 4,395,101 times
As I said in a previous post, I love NW Baltimore though I ended up settling near there instead of in those neighborhoods. My only concern was how there appeared to be so many rooming/boarding houses converted to apt in the area. Not being orginally from this area, I was not sure on how these facilities were managed/operated though it appeared that they were decreasing in numbers as people seem to be converting them back to single family homes. I was also cautioned by an ordinance that was being considered by the City that would allow these homes, that were not converted already, to be converted to group homes etc without a public hearing. I had to buy quick and could not take the time/chance to process of it and I was overruled by my "better half". Still think its a great area....

Old 04-07-2008, 02:08 PM

29 posts, read 78,578 times
Default Asburston, Forest Park

These areas still have great prices, plenty of green, near sub-way, 83, 70, and 695. If you are an environmental person, we have the Gwynns Falls Trail. These communities are nominated by homeowners.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:48 PM

41 posts, read 106,124 times
I moved into this area awhile ago (around Ashburton Lake)

I LOVE the gwynns falls trail...it is never busy and it's so nice and relaxing. Hardly anyone ever goes there so it's great.

We've had no real problems with crime in the area. Usually we get some hate violence on our cars (they are marked FOP, dh is a cop) but haven't had any occur yet in the neighborhood. Neighbors are nice....

you will still see a lot of the baltimore crime but it's kept within itself here and doesn't seem to spill over all that much. And you can't beat the prices. It's a great investment!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore