Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 07:45 AM

8,181 posts, read 13,266,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
There are still some very nice neighborhoods North of Pimlico, many inhabited by wealthy Jewish families who have been there for generations-large homes on large (for Baltimore) lots.

I've heard many debates on radio with members of KAGRO Baltimore opposing the enforced closure of the mom'n'pop walk up liquor stores in the Park Heights area. I do have some sympathy with their position-what they are doing is legal, they are paying taxes, and there is obviously a demand for their product. Whether they create or operate a public nuisance is debatable. As to why not sell something else, well the mark up and shelf life on shorties, forties, and miniatures is a lot higher and a lot longer than that on a head of cabbage or a snakefish. You mentioned all of the bus and subway access nearby-anywhere in Baltimore where people have to wait for public transit a successful liquor store is generally found nearby. Perhaps bus stops are the public nuisance?!

You know the issue of bus stops is one that I have often thought about.. not directly relating to this but to crime and transit as a whole.. On the one hand.. having a bus stop at every corner makes transit more accessible in urban areas and little old ladies can remain in their homes and hobble down to the stop to get to market, church and to visit family.. On the other hand it slows down transit and makes it undesirable for those who have a choice in what mode they take.. The other issue, which probably keeps the chief of the MTA Police up at night.. is some of these stops are used as open air drug markets. I dont think its rampant.. but clearly in the case of Lexington Market and some other commercial areas its happening... People use the crowds at the stop as an excuse to loiter.. Unless the police are vigilent and see four or five busses go by and the same guy is still standing there.. its hard to say "no loitering" unless you have to catch someone in the act. I dunno.. is it good defensible space planning to evaluate the distance between major bus stops and problem liquor stores/businesses???? I imagine the police already know the hot bus stops.. so it may simply be a matter of enforcment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 07:49 AM

I continue to think the strategy being operated up there is 'demo and hold' until large tracts of public land can be assembled and then wholesale redeveloped..Whether that is a good approach or not is debatable... But it is probably one that they will use to justify 30 years of redevelopment money being dumped into an area and not having anything to show for it.. Property assembly can take a loooong time especially if you are acquiring occupied properties and have to relocate the occupants.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:54 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,392,554 times
My grandmother and great-grandmother owned a house off of Bland and W. Rogers Ave. across from the track. I have many fond memories living in this neighborhood during the 70's and 80's. A mix of Jewish, West Indians, W. Virginian hillbillies, Asians and African-Americans. We used to call it lil Brooklyn, NY!!

Old 04-11-2013, 02:58 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,392,554 times
I used to baseball with older Jewish guys in that parking lot across the street from Pimilico. Mr. Rabinowitz and his family, lived around the corner from my grandmother, he would have some kids in the neighborhood do odd jobs on Saturday.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:10 PM

WOW... this is a HUGE win for the neighborhood of Howard Park

BREAKING NEWS: RiteAid agrees to modify Howard Park restrictive covenant at no cost | Baltimore Brew

Old 12-14-2018, 08:48 AM

Default Potential Good News for Pimlico

Concepts for a new track at Pimlico.. The track is also in a federal opportunity zone and thus could attract a good deal of private investment which will be needed to get this done....

https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimor...ico-might.html

Old 01-02-2019, 02:06 PM

2,423 posts, read 2,082,888 times
Looks interesting. This could be a rare oppurtunity zone of influence to build up the neighboring area, aka lower park heights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore