Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 03:55 PM

9 posts, read 8,758 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I've passed through the final round of interviews with a company in Baltimore, and am awaiting a final decision. While certainly not counting my chickens before they hatch, I'm a researcher who cannot help himself when preparing for a potential big life change. I also know a potential move would take some time to coordinate. So, here we are!

A bit about me: I'm a single, mid-twenties male from Michigan, who has traveled and had the opportunity to become comfortable in big-city environments. I'm a bit of a homebody, so I am looking for a nice, safe place to live. Preferably more urban than residential. Without knowing too much on budget, I'll estimate spending perhaps $900-1100 on monthly rent. I would be working in Inner Harbor, and ideally (though not required) would walk to work if I had the choice. However, I would be bringing a car with me.

I have heard plenty about some of the negatives associated with West (western?) Baltimore, parts of the North, and East as well. Though these seem a bit out of the way for me, I would be interested in hearing people's experiences with these areas still. Knowledge is power, right? I also don't know exactly which borders constitute where these areas begin and end.

Really, I would just love to be located around restaurants, theaters, and some fun things to do without needing to be RIGHT in the thick of things. I'm not much of a club goer or anything of that nature, but would appreciate having a good watering hole(s) around. Maybe a neighborhood fit for walking around and exploring during the day, with at least decent public transportation.

Do you wonderful people have any suggestions on neighborhoods or even preferred streets to live in or on? I'd really appreciate the help - thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 07:23 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,510,560 times
Two parts of town strike me as possibilities depending on your needs and spending level. You could head for the greater Charles Village area, which is the area around the Johns Hopkins University campus. One plus is that it is an easy bus trip downtown, so you wouldn't need to drive everyday. Also rents are a little lower than downtown and Southeast Baltimore, especially if you are willing to live in an older building. Keeping a car in that area is relatively easy. On the minus side is that, though there are plenty of restaurants and grocery stores, there isn't much in the way of other retail. Crime is a bigger problem than in Southeast Baltimore.

Southeast Baltimore - Canton, Paterson Park, and Highlandtown, etc. - has lots to do and good access to shopping and the water. For that, you will pay more. Transit links to downtown aren't great and keeping a car will be a little more of a pain than in Charles Village (North Central Baltimore.) Southeast would make lots of sense if your job is really in Harbor East or Harbor Point. Patterson Park is the neighborhood north of the park. Relative to Canton, it is farther from the water, more car friendly, less transit friendly, has less to do in the neighborhood, and more crime problems than areas closer to the water. The park is a great community asset.

Old 11-04-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
Two parts of town strike me as possibilities depending on your needs and spending level. You could head for the greater Charles Village area, which is the area around the Johns Hopkins University campus. One plus is that it is an easy bus trip downtown, so you wouldn't need to drive everyday. Also rents are a little lower than downtown and Southeast Baltimore, especially if you are willing to live in an older building. Keeping a car in that area is relatively easy. On the minus side is that, though there are plenty of restaurants and grocery stores, there isn't much in the way of other retail. Crime is a bigger problem than in Southeast Baltimore.

Southeast Baltimore - Canton, Paterson Park, and Highlandtown, etc. - has lots to do and good access to shopping and the water. For that, you will pay more. Transit links to downtown aren't great and keeping a car will be a little more of a pain than in Charles Village (North Central Baltimore.) Southeast would make lots of sense if your job is really in Harbor East or Harbor Point. Patterson Park is the neighborhood north of the park. Relative to Canton, it is farther from the water, more car friendly, less transit friendly, has less to do in the neighborhood, and more crime problems than areas closer to the water. The park is a great community asset.

Thanks for the reply! I don't anticipate having a tiny budget, but can't spend like crazy. That being said, I would definitely consider spending more to end up in a safer area.

I had never considered Charles Village, but it certainly could be a consideration. I'm okay with putting up with some petty crime, but would definitely prefer to avoid areas less prone to violent crime. That may go without saying, and I'm not participating in risky activities, but it is worth mentioning. Would you say that most crime in Charles and Patterson Park is more related to theft and such?

My position would be on Presidents Street, pretty much on the border of Inner Harbor and Little Italy (as I understand it). Do you have any opinion on the Downtown area? I found an apartment complex near Howard and Baltimore Street, and would love to know how the immediate and surrounding area is. I know some "seedier" areas border Downtown, from what I've heard. Thanks!

Old 11-04-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyShark View Post
Thanks for the reply! I don't anticipate having a tiny budget, but can't spend like crazy. That being said, I would definitely consider spending more to end up in a safer area.

I had never considered Charles Village, but it certainly could be a consideration. I'm okay with putting up with some petty crime, but would definitely prefer to avoid areas less prone to violent crime. That may go without saying, and I'm not participating in risky activities, but it is worth mentioning. Would you say that most crime in Charles and Patterson Park is more related to theft and such?

My position would be on Presidents Street, pretty much on the border of Inner Harbor and Little Italy (as I understand it). Do you have any opinion on the Downtown area? I found an apartment complex near Howard and Baltimore Street, and would love to know how the immediate and surrounding area is. I know some "seedier" areas border Downtown, from what I've heard. Thanks!
Howard Street is on the west side of downtown, which is generally considered to be edgier, especially as you go north of Baltimore Street. That kind of location isn't what I thought you had in mind. Your work location (unlike Howard and Baltimore) is more accessible to Southeast Baltimore than North Baltimore by bus.

Old 11-04-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Howard Street is on the west side of downtown, which is generally considered to be edgier, especially as you go north of Baltimore Street. That kind of location isn't what I thought you had in mind. Your work location (unlike Howard and Baltimore) is more accessible to Southeast Baltimore than North Baltimore by bus.
Gotcha! Call it ignorance It seemed like it was perhaps a little westward, but I wasn’t quite certain where the city starts to change in character. I remember seeing that the pricing seemed pretty decent (quite possibly for a reason), so I jotted it down as an open-minded option.

I have been getting some recommendations for Butcher’s Hill, which I know is on the western border of Patterson Park. Do you know much about the neighborhood in relation to its neighbors?

Old 11-05-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Gotcha! Call it ignorance It seemed like it was perhaps a little westward, but I wasn’t quite certain where the city starts to change in character. I remember seeing that the pricing seemed pretty decent (quite possibly for a reason), so I jotted it down as an open-minded option.

I have been getting some recommendations for Butcher’s Hill, which I know is on the western border of Patterson Park. Do you know much about the neighborhood in relation to its neighbors?
Southeast Baltimore comes together in Butchers Hill as parts of the neighborhood are mostly white while and other parts have a large Latino and/or African American presence. Personally, I like that kind of thing, but everybody is different. Despite what the President says, there is no evidence that I have ever seen of a propensity of Baltimore's Hispanic population toward crime. In fact, I see the Hispanic community't presence in SE as a stabilizing influence.

I don't know anything in particular about crime in Butchers Hill, but my guess is that it is like so much of Baltimore: pretty safe during the day but more dangerous late at night. I wouldn't recommend stumbling home in Butcher's Hill from the bar at 1:00 AM.

As for Howard and Baltimore, I think that locations makes sense for a lot of people, but maybe less so for you. As a side note, I think the west side of downtown will be a great place to live some day but I think we are looking at gradual improvement over the next decade and more.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Southeast Baltimore comes together in Butchers Hill as parts of the neighborhood are mostly white while and other parts have a large Latino and/or African American presence. Personally, I like that kind of thing, but everybody is different. Despite what the President says, there is no evidence that I have ever seen of a propensity of Baltimore's Hispanic population toward crime. In fact, I see the Hispanic community't presence in SE as a stabilizing influence.

I don't know anything in particular about crime in Butchers Hill, but my guess is that it is like so much of Baltimore: pretty safe during the day but more dangerous late at night. I wouldn't recommend stumbling home in Butcher's Hill from the bar at 1:00 AM.

As for Howard and Baltimore, I think that locations makes sense for a lot of people, but maybe less so for you. As a side note, I think the west side of downtown will be a great place to live some day but I think we are looking at gradual improvement over the next decade and more.

Gotcha gotcha. I too appreciate having diversity in the neighborhood, as communities lose some vibrancy when they're homogeneous. Of course, having a population that sticks around means positive things are happening in the surrounding area.

In other forums also, I'm getting the sense that the UMD area I described wouldn't exactly be desirable - like you said. Right now, Butchers looks like a pretty nice area, as does Mt. Vernon, which is where I think I'm leaning at the time being.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Gotcha gotcha. I too appreciate having diversity in the neighborhood, as communities lose some vibrancy when they're homogeneous. Of course, having a population that sticks around means positive things are happening in the surrounding area.

In other forums also, I'm getting the sense that the UMD area I described wouldn't exactly be desirable - like you said. Right now, Butchers looks like a pretty nice area, as does Mt. Vernon, which is where I think I'm leaning at the time being.
I think Mt. Vernon is great, but keeping a car there will be either expensive or a big pain. Crime isn't a big deal by Baltimore standards, but still there is a need to be careful - like in Charles Village, Butcher's Hill, Patterson Park, etc.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:55 PM

22 posts, read 18,246 times
You could certainly look in Federal Hill as well. You could bike or bus to work without much trouble.

Lots of housing and some cozy neighborhood hangouts. It's pretty white, but a mix of young people, middle aged professionals, and retired folks. I'd recommend staying a bit away from the Cross Street/Light Street party zone, but there are some nice new apartment buildings in the south end.

Pretty safe area, although like everywhere here, you gotta lock up your stuff.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
I think Mt. Vernon is great, but keeping a car there will be either expensive or a big pain. Crime isn't a big deal by Baltimore standards, but still there is a need to be careful - like in Charles Village, Butcher's Hill, Patterson Park, etc.

For sure! Definitely a good idea to keep your head on a swivel. Out of curiosity, would you recommend a certain area of Mt. Vernon to avoid - and, accordingly, which parts may be the safest? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: