Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2008, 06:33 AM

41 posts, read 182,271 times

Advertisements

So I live near Hanlon Park/Ashburton Lake area and I like to take my dog out for walks to explore the neighborhoods. I have never had any problems so far and I've pretty much explored the area and want to venture out further.

I am just looking to get some general feedback to see if anyone thinks it would be a bad idea. I don't neccesarily want to be so naive as to think that just becuase it looks fine and nothing has happened so far means everything would be fine. Would you mind your 20something daughter or wife walking around the following areas in later afternoon/early evening with a medium sized dog?

Down North Longwood Street to West North Avenue
North Hilton and Liberty Heights Avenue towards Resiterstown Road
Liberty Heights Avenue east and west of Garrison Boulevard.

I am talking more the neighborhoods and side streets off these roads than I am the specific road.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 07:05 AM

689 posts, read 3,208,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonhead View Post
So I live near Hanlon Park/Ashburton Lake area and I like to take my dog out for walks to explore the neighborhoods. I have never had any problems so far and I've pretty much explored the area and want to venture out further.

I am just looking to get some general feedback to see if anyone thinks it would be a bad idea. I don't neccesarily want to be so naive as to think that just becuase it looks fine and nothing has happened so far means everything would be fine. Would you mind your 20something daughter or wife walking around the following areas in later afternoon/early evening with a medium sized dog?

I am talking more the neighborhoods and side streets off these roads than I am the specific road.

Thanks!!
As long as it was light outside, I would walk anywhere...within reason.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:21 AM

315 posts, read 1,297,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonhead View Post

Thanks!!
You can get a complete picture by using this link: City of Baltimore, Maryland Police Department - Interactive Geographic Display of Crimes (http://141.157.54.34/bpdmaps/police.htm - broken link)
To answer your question, (and I have a daughter in her 20's) I would not let her walk, even with a dog, in this area.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:42 AM

234 posts, read 1,060,142 times
What kind of dog will she be walking? Pit bull...go for a walk. Beagle...stay at home.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:51 AM

1,977 posts, read 6,788,067 times
I don't see any problems, particularly if you walk on side streets. Also, the breed or size of the dog doesn't matter. I used to walk my poodle around Lake Ashburton, and I'm a white guy. Never had a problem.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:22 AM

41 posts, read 182,271 times
haha the dog is actually a 60 pound mutt that looks lab/golden retrieverish but she is actually an afghan hound mix. The neighborhood kids LOVE the dog. (and so do some adults) everyone wants to pet her all the time when I am out with her. she loves the attention.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:40 AM

234 posts, read 1,060,142 times
Well, if a thug on W. North Avenue thinks you look like an easy target, breed and size of dog certainly do matter. Don't set yourself up to be a victim. Just because you haven't had any problems yet doesn't mean your luck streak won't run out any day.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:06 PM

689 posts, read 3,208,494 times
Or you could move to the suburbs and end up being attacked in your own home, like that poor woman in today's Blotter.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:26 PM

757 posts, read 2,547,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barante View Post
I don't see any problems, particularly if you walk on side streets. Also, the breed or size of the dog doesn't matter. I used to walk my poodle around Lake Ashburton, and I'm a white guy. Never had a problem.
I'm not familiar with that area and you might be right, but that advice sounds counterintuitive to my own thoughts. When I'm walking through an area I think is "rough" or am unfamiliar with the territory, I try to stick to major arteries. I figure it's safer where there's more traffic and people on the street.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:43 PM

1,977 posts, read 6,788,067 times
Default My take

rudy_d: You are right, caution is in order. But I trust that lemonhead is a savvy and level-headed bloke who can sense danger from a block away.
I stand by my statement. From Ashburton as far as North Avenue we are talking about not about African American blocks but solidly middle-class blocks. These may be in distress -- because the old folks are dying and houses have fallen in poor repair. But whether it is Koko Lane or the Douglass High School area between Winchester and North, I don't think these streets are markedly less safe than any other city streets. (Different story on the soutth side of North).
Unless the bottom falls off, this area is a prime candidate for revitalization. Coppin State University and Mondawmin Mall, both expanding in spectacular ways, are next door. The area is served by Metro.
Go and see (we are talking about daytime here). And while you are there, avail yourself to one of the best lunches in Baltimore in Coppin's faculty dining room, which is open to the general public. It's a three course meal but since there are multiple entrees, soup and salad, it's more varied than that. All this plus delicious lemonade for less than $8.00.
The dining room, open from 11.30 a.m. until 2 p.m. M/F when the school is in session, is on the second floor of the student cafeteria building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore