Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2019, 09:09 PM

1 posts, read 872 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm looking to purchase around Catonsville, but I'm generally open to most areas in the County that are west of the city but an easy commute (downtown Baltimore City for my partner and me). However, outside of Catonsville, the public schools can be a bit dicey, per the ratings on Redfin. For instance, I wouldn't mind parts of Woodlawn --but Woodlawn High has a terrible rating (which is confusing because isn't it a magnet school?). It's a similar scenario in Pikesville.

I came across an old thread on here from someone who was asking about schools (I think). Another poster gave a very detailed response about looking at schools AYP (annual yearly progress) on the County website and this person stated that if a student was zoned for a school with a poor AYP then he or she could potentially transfer to another school in the county. Does that still exist? The thread was over 5 years old and a current search of school ratings by the County seems to not use AYPs anymore.

Besides saving up for private school--are there any suggestions or resources for how to make sure your kid gets a quality education in Baltimore County?

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 07:55 AM

3,765 posts, read 4,098,638 times
Public schools a bit dicey? They were forty years ago. Now they are hopeless. Save your money and send your kids to private school. They will thank you for the rest of their lives.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:32 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,960,879 times
^
That is area specific.

Your location choice is the problem. As long as it has to be west then you will have issues. As well as on the eastern side of the county.

Old 07-11-2019, 01:05 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,737,640 times
I'll be blunt.

Baltimore County maybe 20 years ago had some of the best performing schools in the state. Except for a slither on the west and east sides, most schools were satisfactory even in the most blue collar of areas. (ie. Sparrows Point, Halethrope, etc.)

Nowadays, anything below the Hereford zone is a cr*ap shoot. Anything inside 695 is a lost cause.

Old 07-11-2019, 03:15 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,960,879 times
The OP wants to be West, well be.........

Also, I dug and found some higher ranking schools on the west side, right near Catonsville.

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...ience-9044/map

The list https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...yland/rankings.

No mention of children's ages.

Last edited by Digger 68; 07-11-2019 at 03:23 PM..

Old 07-12-2019, 09:59 AM

21,626 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Public schools a bit dicey? They were forty years ago. Now they are hopeless. Save your money and send your kids to private school. They will thank you for the rest of their lives.
Ehh, the education is really the same. its just different set of parents and students with a different mindset. Sometimes the teachers are worse because the qualifications are strict. The money you spend could be put towards other enriching experiences for your child.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:44 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,085,714 times
Woodlawn is pretty crappy, do not kid yourself.

Baltimore County schools grow worse every year.

Old 07-13-2019, 06:38 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,737,640 times
Schools aside, if you focus on the Woodlawn area - there are some pretty nice rural/semi-rural areas just to the west of Rolling Rd., but most of Woodlawn (particularly inside 695) is just an extension of West Baltimore nowadays.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:31 AM

833 posts, read 520,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyRN4211 View Post
Hello,

I'm looking to purchase around Catonsville, but I'm generally open to most areas in the County that are west of the city but an easy commute (downtown Baltimore City for my partner and me). However, outside of Catonsville, the public schools can be a bit dicey, per the ratings on Redfin. For instance, I wouldn't mind parts of Woodlawn --but Woodlawn High has a terrible rating (which is confusing because isn't it a magnet school?). It's a similar scenario in Pikesville.

I came across an old thread on here from someone who was asking about schools (I think). Another poster gave a very detailed response about looking at schools AYP (annual yearly progress) on the County website and this person stated that if a student was zoned for a school with a poor AYP then he or she could potentially transfer to another school in the county. Does that still exist? The thread was over 5 years old and a current search of school ratings by the County seems to not use AYPs anymore.

Besides saving up for private school--are there any suggestions or resources for how to make sure your kid gets a quality education in Baltimore County?

Thank you in advance!
Why not live in Ellicott City in the very good Howard County school system and ditch Baltimore County completely? Doesn't seem like it's worth putting the effort in anything associated with Baltimore. City..County...doesn't matter. There are better places not that far away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore