Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2022, 06:25 PM

2,188 posts, read 2,684,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I think that's a pile on for on top of the loan fraud.

As far as retirement accounts go there are legal reasons for withdrawals, that might be the hook there.
The loan fraud seems even weaker. Apparently it's fine for her to rent out the second home (so long as she stays there at some point in the year), but what is not allowed is she hired a management company to handle rentals instead of doing it privately via AirBnB or whatever. What a dumb distinction without a difference. Don't get me wrong, she should have known better and she deserves whatever fine she ends up getting, but this sure sounds like a nothingburger considering how much time went into the investigation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2022, 05:51 AM

45,331 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
The loan fraud seems even weaker. Apparently it's fine for her to rent out the second home (so long as she stays there at some point in the year), but what is not allowed is she hired a management company to handle rentals instead of doing it privately via AirBnB or whatever. What a dumb distinction without a difference. Don't get me wrong, she should have known better and she deserves whatever fine she ends up getting, but this sure sounds like a nothingburger considering how much time went into the investigation.
It may be "weak" but the alleged fraud was committed using CARES Act funding. That's the federal hook, or one of them, and you know the small firestorm happening over fraud in that program.

Fraud tracker for CARES:

https://www.arnoldporter.com/en/gene...-fraud-tracker

This guy did something similar to what Mosby's accused of doing:

https://www.sentinelsource.com/news/...666d3c6ba.html

Old 01-14-2022, 08:14 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
It may be "weak" but the alleged fraud was committed using CARES Act funding. That's the federal hook, or one of them, and you know the small firestorm happening over fraud in that program.

Fraud tracker for CARES:

https://www.arnoldporter.com/en/gene...-fraud-tracker

This guy did something similar to what Mosby's accused of doing:

https://www.sentinelsource.com/news/...666d3c6ba.html
I guess I am confused on what the CARES Act has to do with withdrawing from your City Retirement Account? I guess it depends on your retirement program. I know people who have withdrawn from their retirement accounts for a variety of reason and just paid it back with payroll drafts. So did she use the premise of the CARES Act(ie. My business is in trouble) to convince her retirement program to loan her the money? Or did she actually get CAREs Funds? If so, what does the retirement account have to do with it?

As for the mortgage fraud... that one seems to be pretty straight forward though I find it interesting, though not impossible, that her husband would not tell her of the lien.. But, I am sure spouses hide worse things from each other

Old 01-14-2022, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I guess I am confused on what the CARES Act has to do with withdrawing from your City Retirement Account? I guess it depends on your retirement program. I know people who have withdrawn from their retirement accounts for a variety of reason and just paid it back with payroll drafts. So did she use the premise of the CARES Act(ie. My business is in trouble) to convince her retirement program to loan her the money? Or did she actually get CAREs Funds? If so, what does the retirement account have to do with it?

As for the mortgage fraud... that one seems to be pretty straight forward though I find it interesting, though not impossible, that her husband would not tell her of the lien.. But, I am sure spouses hide worse things from each other
From what I can glean she used CARES Act justification for the withdrawals. My guess, because I don't know, is that the Act suspended tax obligations for withdrawal if it was used. Claiming non-existent hardship due to Covid to trigger CARES Act coverage would likely be the fraud. Kind of like the guy down here who got PPP and used it to buy a new BMW and still laid his employees off.

Old 01-14-2022, 08:33 AM

Quote:
From what I can glean she used CARES Act justification for the withdrawals. My guess, because I don't know, is that the Act suspended tax obligations for withdrawal if it was used. Claiming non-existent hardship due to Covid to trigger CARES Act coverage would likely be the fraud. Kind of like the guy down here who got PPP and used it to buy a new BMW and still laid his employees off.
OK... yeah.. I can see that..

Those folks that I know who have withdrawn from their accounts have taken vacations, made home renovations, sent kids to college.etc.. I dont think they had to pay taxes on the withdraw because it was a loan. They did have to pay interest.. but it all went back into their account and the payments were drafted from their payroll check at a fixed amount so they could not default.. If they quit their job before the loan was repaid then that may trigger some tax or penalty and the loan would be considered a withdraw. Again I guess it depends on the rules of the retirement program

Yeah..its like she should have gotten a pool of investors or something (she knows enough people) and then buy them out later or have them co sign if you dont have enough money. Being a high level poltico..with people looking at you under a magnifying glass.. taking short cuts is just not worth it...

I have gotten emails from her legal defense fund and thought it was interesting on why someone would be raising money for such a thing versus their campaign. Well now I know

Last edited by Woodlands; 01-14-2022 at 08:41 AM..

Old 01-14-2022, 08:48 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,098,638 times
She needs to resign ASAP. She already spends very little time on her job, so now she will spend even less time while she is fighting these charges.

Old 01-16-2022, 12:08 AM

11,362 posts, read 9,275,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
Machinations of Sinclair Broadcasting. You can almost hear the cackling from their HQ.
Sinclair is one of the worst. I refuse to watch Channel 45 news due to often slanted news stories because they are owned by them.

Mosby has already been convicted by the right wing press, especially lately by Trump apologists WTOP radio. They took down their front page horrid loud headline on their web site convicting her without a trial so I can't post a link to it but it was there. Due to that and obvious other factors (example - convicting someone especially with loose evidence without a fair trail) I hope she is cleared.

What bothers me the most about this is her 200K + salary and claiming financial trouble. I can't relate to that.

But I'll wait until more facts come out. I am not there as far as any criminal activity but I could be and I'll be keeping an open mind at this time...

Old 01-16-2022, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Sinclair is one of the worst. I refuse to watch Channel 45 news due to often slanted news stories because they are owned by them.

Mosby has already been convicted by the right wing press, especially lately by Trump apologists WTOP radio. They took down their front page horrid loud headline on their web site convicting her without a trial so I can't post a link to it but it was there. Due to that and obvious other factors (example - convicting someone especially with loose evidence without a fair trail) I hope she is cleared.

What bothers me the most about this is her 200K + salary and claiming financial trouble. I can't relate to that.

But I'll wait until more facts come out. I am not there as far as any criminal activity but I could be and I'll be keeping an open mind at this time...
Yeah.. I am no fan of her policies... but borrowing from your own Retirement Account? Certainly if it violates the rules.. she should have known better AND obviously if you lie on any form associated with the government you open yourself up to scrutiny especially being an elected official... I think it serves her up nicely during her re election campaign for her opponents....which I think is the goal. Hopefully it will be successful. Again.. I am looking at it from a policy perspective and the fact that the City needs an alternative approach to crime/prosecution.

Old 01-18-2022, 08:57 AM

https://www.yahoo.com/news/dan-rodri...153900950.html

Old 01-18-2022, 04:05 PM

899 posts, read 539,932 times
Quote:
One does wonder why the shell companies were established in the first place? A travel agency? It's not the typical post-DA careers for big urban DAs.

The obvious answer is a dubious tax shield of some kind. But surely any Baltimore politician would have long studied Sheila Dixon and Catherine Pugh and learned a thing or two....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore