U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 32,522 times
Default What are the worst places to live in Baltimore

Hi whats up my name is Mark. I need help. I need to know the worst neighborhoods to live in Baltimore. I live in Buffalo, and I am thinking about writing a story on Baltimore and how people around the community are taking action to eliminate violence and other negatives things going on in Baltimore. I need to know like the worst places there. If someone knows can you please help me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2007, 02:43 PM

25 posts, read 99,130 times
I know this forum is dedicated to Baltimore, but when I read you were living in Buffalo I wondering if you would share your thoughts about living there.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:15 AM

2 posts, read 64,825 times
Default Everywhere is bad

Hi Mark, I didn't know if you were still interested in knowing about baltimore. I've lived here since I was born back in the '50s. I'm also presently living in my childhood home(my parents gave it to my husband and I when they moved out of the city). When I was growing up here (in the gardenville area, which I now call garbageville) things were safe and whenever a police car drove by the house (which was very rare) and I was outside, I'd run in and announce it to my parents. Now we have helicopters with searchlights looking for criminals; my van was stolen from outside my house(and was found six weeks later);some idiot twice bashed in my driver-side window(this past August then again in October); bikes were stolen from our yard(2 of them were secured with chains and locks);and my daughter was threatened by some men who were running across our lawn while she was getting something out of her car. We are packing up to move to the County but I don't know if it will be a better place to live because the criminal element is being 'invited' to live out there as well. In my opinion no place in the city is nice. It makes me cry to see my neighborhood in this condition and nobody doing anything about it. Sorry this was so long. If you want anymore info just ask(I'm not very happy about 'CHARM' city,heh)

Old 03-27-2007, 01:55 PM

1,944 posts, read 4,128,512 times
BLTCKMA -- Whooa! You wrote: "In my opinion no place in the city is nice."
That is sheer bullcrap. Baltimore is full of nice and livable neighborhoods. Other threads on this site have listed several of them.
Having said that, I emphatize with you. The Herring Run and Gardenville areas have undergone tremendous changes to the worse.
I'm sorry to see from your post that you are fed up with Baltimore area, city and county. Maybe you need to take a long break.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:57 PM

2 posts, read 64,825 times
Default Wow

What area do you live in? I have seen this area change for the worse in the past 25 years. I've visited different shops and stores in the city area and I can't find one place that I would feel safe. I've even walked around down near where the school board is located(I homeschooled my kids because the schools weren't teaching properly near us), because we had to have them review our kids' schoolwork(I believe it was near Greenmount and North Avenue) but I wasn't in the area long enough to tell if it was dangerous for me. My husband uses public transportation to get to work and come home and one time he was sitting on the bus(I think it was last summer) with the window open and a big African american guy just punched him in the face through the window(my husband had been dozing off at the time). He also was threatened but carries mace and it scared them off. Please tell me the areas that are nice in the city because the only thing I can see that would be good for this city is that it be destroyed(like the projects were a few years back)

Old 03-27-2007, 11:47 PM

3 posts, read 39,588 times
Charles Village, Guilford, and Roland Park may not be representative of the rest of the city, but they seem quite lovely and safe. No? There is so much to love about Baltimore. I hate to hear that you're ready to give up and move to the county. Although I've only been in B'more less than a year, I've fallen madly in love with the city, even the seedy side.

Old 03-28-2007, 04:12 AM

1,944 posts, read 4,128,512 times
Default You asked

BLTCKMA -- Since you asked: I live off Greenspring Avenue, just north of Mount Washington. Mostly Orthodox Jewish neighborhood of ranchers, the quietest in the city. Never any noise or loud parties. We see rabbits and foxes on our property -- right in the city -- and early one morning I saw two deer in front of our kitchen window.
We are not Jewish. We have very little contact with our neighbors -- and they have little contact with one another, which I think is due to most of them going to different synagogues. In fact socializing is kind of awkward because if someone visits, there is nothing we can offer since our household is not kosher.
We moved here seven years ago after 11 years in the inner city in West Baltimore. It was like moving to a different country.
There is a citizens' patrol in the area. After we moved in, I was walkng our dog the first night and I kept seeing this citizens' patrol car everywhere I went. I finally realized it was following me, a stranger!

Old 03-29-2007, 12:04 PM

468 posts, read 1,516,730 times
sandtown-winchester

Old 09-04-2007, 06:32 PM

46 posts, read 165,404 times
What you have related is very sad.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:48 AM

46 posts, read 165,404 times
This is what bothers me ..where do these career criminals move to ?
You know this is going to impact other neighborhoods negatively when they get thrown out of their apts, rooms, rentals, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore