Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2022, 06:03 AM

2,423 posts, read 2,090,492 times

Advertisements

https://www.baltimorebrew.com/2022/0...d-from-boston/

No $1 houses y'all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2022, 09:01 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,929,742 times
Everyone wants something for nothing from the government, and no one wants to be held accountable for their bad decisions.

Old 05-01-2022, 06:59 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Yeah I have mixed opinions on the $ house program.. It sounds like a good idea, but opponents have brought of some valid arguments on why it may be a challenge. It seems that IF the city were to do this, they should focus on groups of housing concentrated in selected neighborhoods as opposed to a city wide effort so it can be more strategic; can they do some preliminary analysis of these homes so the ones that can be salvaged are offered up and it gives bidders/buyers a snapshot into the potential cost of rehab? Hopefully those same folks would be advised to talk with a realtor who could advise them of market conditions for the proverbial "buyer beware" scenarios that you know what you are getting into.

At the end of the day I thought all of this is/was what Vacants to Values was doing but I guess not.. It also seems that most of the City owned properties are in areas that most people may not want to live in so you wonder if there would be many takers even for a $1. I think once councilperson suggested bundling these properties for small developers to build a few home together.. but again.. unless these properties are near up and coming areas they still may be challenged.

Anytime a politician makes pushes economic development projects in baltimore..one must take a closer look

Old 05-02-2022, 01:20 PM

123 posts, read 108,079 times
I'd be interested in other ideas from both sides of the aisle.

It's been such a problem for so long, way before I was born. Between the white flight phenomenon in the 60's and 70s and then the overall population decline in the 80s, 90s and today, just so many gutted neighborhoods. Over 15k vacant and abandoned homes.

I have no solutions. And I am in the boat that I probably wouldn't be a taker to live in those areas even for $1. I'd need to see better schools, more green spaces, more local business, better law enforcement, and (not least of which) better parking. lol. The problem is all of those things (except maybe parking) requires a larger tax base and increased population, and a large tax base and increased population requires all of those things. A hard cycle to break into.

Old 05-02-2022, 10:40 PM

2,188 posts, read 2,684,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreBruiser View Post
The problem is all of those things (except maybe parking) requires a larger tax base and increased population, and a large tax base and increased population requires all of those things. A hard cycle to break into.
ding ding ding ding. Nearly every major US city was able to mitigate (to varying degrees of success) the tax base/population loss of white flight by expanded city limits to encompass the resulting first ring suburbs and/or by consolidated governments with their surrounding county. Baltimore has been unable to do either. It has effectively been sacrificed in a very purposeful and deliberate way for quite a few decades now.

Old 05-04-2022, 08:35 AM

899 posts, read 539,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
ding ding ding ding. Nearly every major US city was able to mitigate (to varying degrees of success) the tax base/population loss of white flight by expanded city limits to encompass the resulting first ring suburbs and/or by consolidated governments with their surrounding county. Baltimore has been unable to do either. It has effectively been sacrificed in a very purposeful and deliberate way for quite a few decades now.
If Baltimore had been able to expand to include the first ring suburbs, the suburban flight would have been even worse. As it is, inner ring Baltimore County is already starting to exhibit urban ills once only seen in the city.

Baltimore's problems are entirely due to a very large and problematic demographic that no one can do anything about. And as no one can do anything about it, nothing will change. It's as simple as that. The other cities doing "better" do not have the same extent of this demographic's stranglehold and never did. Cities that do have similar demographics have similar problems.

Old 05-04-2022, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXBtoFL View Post
If Baltimore had been able to expand to include the first ring suburbs, the suburban flight would have been even worse. As it is, inner ring Baltimore County is already starting to exhibit urban ills once only seen in the city.

Baltimore's problems are entirely due to a very large and problematic demographic that no one can do anything about. And as no one can do anything about it, nothing will change. It's as simple as that. The other cities doing "better" do not have the same extent of this demographic's stranglehold and never did. Cities that do have similar demographics have similar problems.
I agree. They need to start getting rid of all these hipsters, especially in Fells and Canton. Craft beer, craft coffee, craft pizza... IT NEEDS TO END.

Old 05-04-2022, 12:04 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,929,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreBruiser View Post
I agree. They need to start getting rid of all these hipsters, especially in Fells and Canton. Craft beer, craft coffee, craft pizza... IT NEEDS TO END.
They pay taxes and don't use services (social, education, police, etc.).

Old 05-04-2022, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
They pay taxes and don't use services (social, education, police, etc.).
Exactly. Can you believe their audacity?

Old 05-05-2022, 01:03 PM

2,188 posts, read 2,684,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXBtoFL View Post

Hampden and Roland Park and Mt. Washington are nice, but if Baltimore's borders expanded to Towson and Timonium those neighborhoods would turn to crap? That makes very little sense.

And your second paragraph is just repeating the point I made. Baltimore's demographics are crap because it's purposefully been isolated and sacrificed. If its borders were allowed to expand - via annexation or city-county consolidation - like effectively all of its peers, then it'd have similarly recouped the population and resources lost during white flight. That's the entire point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore