U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-24-2008, 11:58 PM

2,654 posts, read 3,663,036 times

Advertisements

I was visiting family in Baltimore this past weekend, and we were around the Lexington Market when a group of about 20-25 guys on dirtbikes flew thru the intersection. I was told its somewhat commonplace but didnt get much of a backstory.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 12:06 AM

485 posts, read 1,240,814 times
They're dope runners-the cops can't catch them.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:20 AM

2,654 posts, read 3,663,036 times
I see. That withstanding, I didnt see nearly the level of oddball stuff one would expect to see when every person reminds you how rampant with crime Baltimore is. Granted, most of my time was spent in Mount Vernon (cool neighborhood for the record), and it seems pocketed with some sketchy areas surrounding it but nothing to the extent of what I would have expected. Guess I didnt go slummin' deep enough

Old 06-25-2008, 02:49 AM

69 posts, read 19,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick is rulz View Post
I was visiting family in Baltimore this past weekend, and we were around the Lexington Market when a group of about 20-25 guys on dirtbikes flew thru the intersection. I was told its somewhat commonplace but didnt get much of a backstory.
Likely, many are plagued with a touch of ADHD and aren't particularly bright either. They seek to stimulate their pea brains with activities like dirt bike riding, hanging out in video arcades, skateboarding, etc. Such goings on make them happy and provide them with a sense of belonging and community they won't find in intellectual pursuits. Many will become criminals and end up in jail and/or prison. This is because never succeeding in school, they will engage in criminal activity to bolster their self esteems. Some will narcotize their frustration and boredom with substance abuse. Many of the others will become police officers and join the military. Many will become police officers after serving in the military. Others will become bouncers, security guards or WalMart Rent-A-Cops.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:20 AM

4,178 posts, read 9,272,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason1980 View Post
Likely, many are plagued with a touch of ADHD and aren't particularly bright either. They seek to stimulate their pea brains with activities like dirt bike riding, hanging out in video arcades, skateboarding, etc. Such goings on make them happy and provide them with a sense of belonging and community they won't find in intellectual pursuits. Many will become criminals and end up in jail and/or prison. This is because never succeeding in school, they will engage in criminal activity to bolster their self esteems. Some will narcotize their frustration and boredom with substance abuse. Many of the others will become police officers and join the military. Many will become police officers after serving in the military. Others will become bouncers, security guards or WalMart Rent-A-Cops.

Excellent summary. The really odd thing is that I am pretty sure the city passed a law making it illegal to ride these. I guess I am wrong though because Lexington Market usually has a lot of police around there.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:41 AM

103 posts, read 324,160 times
Ever since HBO's The Wire - glamorizes dirt bikes and get-aways on the west side, it has become more of a poser thing to do.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:01 AM

1,890 posts, read 980,794 times
I live in the southwest side of the city - I hear the dirt bikes at ALL hours. It's very annoying. And from what I understand they are illegal, but it doesn't stop them - and the mayor of the city lives 2 streets over!

Old 06-25-2008, 08:39 AM

485 posts, read 1,240,814 times
Those bikes are unregistered and often unsafe-but essential to the dope trade-the riders deliver to the sellers, so they car ''re-up'' without losing time on the street.

They're damned hard to catch.

Now, do you see my point about the pervasive disorder in the city?

When I began my law enforcement career-in 1974-drugs were reefer and Quickee.

That changed far too rapidly.

Until a sensible policy on drugs is implemented, forget any lasting improvement in urban life.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:49 AM

4,178 posts, read 9,272,845 times
I have no idea where this new "fad" started with dirt bikes. I was nearly plowed down by about 8 riders near the Capitol Hill neighborhood of DC this past weekend. Any ideas of the legality of these things? They really are obnoxious.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:43 AM

103 posts, read 324,160 times
most dirt bikes and 4 wheelers are street legal with proper tag and non aggressive tires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore