U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2007, 02:04 PM

7 posts, read 84,034 times

Advertisements

Are Dundalk and Essex safe areas?
I recently got a job in Baltimore. My office is located around Johns Hopkins Bayview campus (zipcode 21224).
I'm now looking for an apartment (studio $500-600) in Dundalk or Essex. Are they safe areas? or.. should I look at Towson or White Marsh instead?
Thanks.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2007, 08:42 PM

6 posts, read 60,480 times
Default Dundalk and Essex

Hi. Dundalk and Essex are relatively safe although these are not really cosmopolitan (I guess that's the right word). If you are looking for good dining and nightlife and that sort of thing, you will not find it in those places. White Marsh might be a better choice for you. It is much more developed, although that translates to more expensive. The good thing about White Marsh is that it is very close to Interstate 95 and JH Bayview is also close to I-95, so you could just hop on 95 to get to work every day, maybe a 10 minute ride at most. Hope this is helpful. Good luck.

Old 01-13-2007, 10:57 PM

Thanks. My big concern is safety. Luckily, I'm not a nightlife guy or eating out a lot so Dundalk or Essex might be my choices since they are close to Johns Hopkins Bayview campus. I'll check apartments in Towson and White Marsh also. More advices are welcome.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:58 PM

468 posts, read 2,206,945 times
Yeah, Dundalk and Essex are traditional blue collar kinda towns. They seem fine for you because they're close to Hopkins Bayview and they're affordable and safe.

Old 01-16-2007, 09:22 PM

5 posts, read 40,021 times
I was about to say that I feel Dundalk and Essex ARE safe. Then I read again that you are looking for an apartment in these areas. I was going to convince you the "10 minutes" drive- is probably not. Traffic is bad here, especially if you are trying to come in towards the city.

I live in Essex, and am in a neighborhood that I feel is safe. Most areas of Essex and Dundalk are. However, if I was trying to find a decent, safe apartment in either area, I am not so sure. If I were trying to find an apartment in NE Baltimore, I'd go for Nottingham (White Marsh), Perry Hall. Good for younger folks, though it's very built up now, lots of traffic, but you aren't going a far drive. Lots of decent apartments and townhomes, but pricey!

If you decide to go with Essex or Dundalkfor rentals, investigate your chosen apartments carefully, ask locals their opinion, and even talk to the local police station about the neighborhood. Never take the apartment guides, or agents word for it. Check it out at night.

Traffic from Essex/Dundalk is not bad at all, especially if you avoid the major routes. Drive the route you would have to take during peak hours and check it out.

I'm sorry I can't think of any apartments I'd recommend!

Old 01-18-2007, 12:52 PM

Thanks guys,
I just found an apartment located at this address,
5305 Moravia Road, Baltimore, MD 21206

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...3,0.21595&om=0

Is that in a safe area? More comments would be appreciated.

Old 01-22-2007, 09:47 PM

6 posts, read 60,480 times
Moravia Road? Not a good idea.

I would suggest that you take a look around before you commit. Some of these areas are less than desirable.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:42 PM

1 posts, read 15,669 times
Check out Carroll Island. It is at the end of Eastern Avenue, there is a Town and Country there and it is pretty nice. Stay away from townhomes on Marlyn Avenue. Not very safe. But other then that, Essex is nice and affordable. Also, the comute is not bad to Hopkins.
Key Landing in Dundak is also nice.

Old 01-28-2007, 04:16 PM

Thanks. i am narrowing my choices down to Parkville and Towson. Any streets in those areas I should stay off? I'll try to post some addresses and hope you guys can give me ideas.

6605 Walther Avenue Baltimore, MD 21206 ?

Thanks!

Old 01-29-2007, 03:34 PM

Is Parkville (21234) safe? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore