U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 01:08 PM

103 posts, read 477,206 times

Advertisements

Been a while since we talked about something positive.

Around the Inner harbor, the new West side (between MLK and 83) and federal hill areas...

Where are some good and safe Markets, flea markets, malls?

I have heard a lot about these:

Lexington Market
400 W. Lexington Street
Baltimore, MD 21201

Cross Street Market
1065 S Charles St,
Baltimore, MD

any other ones you would recommend? or NOT recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 01:35 PM

4,180 posts, read 13,033,000 times
Cross Street is fun. I hit it sometimes on Saturdays for beer and oysters. Retail is around the harbor. There is a Filenes there that has good deals for work clothes, etc. BestBuy for electronics. B and N for books. There is also a city market called the Broadway Market in Fells Point. And retail abounds in Fells Point, Federal Hill, Inner Harbor East. Theaters at Inner Harbor East, Charles Theater on Charles Street. Across from the Inner Harbor is a mall with 4 floors. Antique Row on Howard Street (expensive), lots of antique places in Fells Point.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:21 PM

485 posts, read 1,765,541 times
What?! No mention of the World Famous Lexington Market?!!!!

Good eats!

Old 06-25-2008, 03:09 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,460,901 times
GREAT food at Lexington market and the very best chocolate in the world at a local place called Rheb's. It's a very interesting place to go and there's a wonderful Indian restuarant there called MemSahib. When I go with the kids to visit hubby at work, we almost always go there. Cross Street Market is also really nice and there are lots more restaurants and other things to see and do in the immediate area surrounding the market than around Lexington Market.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:23 PM

anything good or bad about these?:

• [SIZE=3]
  • The Cross Street Market is located at 1065 S. Charles Street in the heart of Federal Hill.
  • Hollins Street Market, located 26 S. Arlington Street in the heart of Union Square historic District. The Market is closed on Monday.
  • Broadway Market is located at 1640 Aliceanna Street in the heart of Fells Point.
  • Belair Market is located at 4760 North Gay street next to Old Town Mall.
  • Northeast Market located at 2101 East Monument Street located north of Patterson Park.
  • Lafayette Market located at the corner of Pennsylvania Avenue and Lafayette Street in the heart of Sandtown Winchester.
  • Lexington Market (a privately run market) is located at Lexington and Howard streets in the heart of our Market Center. Hours of operation are 8:30AM to 6:00PM, Monday through Saturday.[/SIZE]

Old 06-25-2008, 03:47 PM

45 posts, read 166,782 times
Default Canton has some cool little shops and eats

Over in Canton there are a bunch of little shops and restaurants. Maybe someone can tell you what streets i am talking about, but I found a neat little snowboard/surf shop which was nice, being from Denver and all. That whole area there by the water is fun to walk around and shop and eat. What I have enjoyed about Baltimore the most is the absence of the ubiquitous strip malls. have fun exploring!

Old 06-25-2008, 03:52 PM

1,977 posts, read 5,990,241 times
Default Municipal markets

All municipal markets are in trouble. They are run by a quasi-public corporation headed by John Paterakis, owner of H&S, the largest family-owned bakery in the U.S. (It bakes all the buns for McDonalds restaurants east of the Mississippi, among other things. He also is the developer of Harbor East).
Lexington Market is doing better. It is run by a separate corporation headed by Bernie Berkowitz, a retired city planning official.
Here is my tumbnails of the markets:
Cross Street -- Persistent vacancies show the dilemma of a market that provisioned South Baltimore when it was a poor blue-collar area. With yuppies now having taken over, the market is on the skids. It's a great place. Among many other things it has cheap flowers. Nick's seafood rocks.
Hollins Street -- Lou's, which had the freshest chicken, is gone, as is Kinsey's which operated a stall there for a century! I stop for a fish sub now and then at a Korean lunch counter, if I'm in the neighborhood.
Broadway -- This is a place where every Saturday morning you can see John Paterakis holding court with some of his buddies at Prevas' lunch counter. The north shed also has a great Polish delicatessen, Sophia's Place. There is no butcher left, however, and many stalls are vacant.
Belair -- Demolished.
Northeast -- Probably the healthiest of the municipal markets due to the huge Johns Hopkins medical employment base. The surrounding area is still very rough but is being rapidly gentrified.
Lafayette -- It is called The Avenue Market these days and is dead.
Lexington Market -- The vacancies you see there are by design. Conscious of the many apartment buildings that are rising on the west side, market management wants to change their merchandizing mix. If you have a proven record as a bagel shop operator or be you know how to run a trendy coffee bar, talk to them; they are looking for you. Little by little it's improving. Many famous merchants: Faidley's for fish and crabs: Konstant for peanuts, Rheb's candies. Herling's operates a small supermarket, which has been upgraded some to serve the needs of incoming gentificators.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:06 PM

thanx for the tips. those markets that are dead also arent in the best of neighborhoods anyway

Old 06-25-2008, 06:22 PM

485 posts, read 1,765,541 times
The markets were one of the things I loved most about Baltimore.

Is Konstant's weenie stand still going?-they had the best, white-trash chili dogs of all time!

Lexington Market is a gem.

Whatever happened with that one called Belvedere Square-it was in trouble for a long time, but was hanging on last I looked.

Oh, God, how I miss Indian carry-out!

Old 06-25-2008, 07:04 PM

757 posts, read 2,244,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krakenten View Post
The markets were one of the things I loved most about Baltimore.

Is Konstant's weenie stand still going?-they had the best, white-trash chili dogs of all time!

Lexington Market is a gem.

Whatever happened with that one called Belvedere Square-it was in trouble for a long time, but was hanging on last I looked.

Oh, God, how I miss Indian carry-out!
Belvedere Square was completely redeveloped within the past 5 years and now seems to be booming. I don't get there as much as I should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or