U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you actually driven down it?
Yes, in the day light! 14 22.22%
Yes, at night! 32 50.79%
No and never will! 9 14.29%
No, haven't had a reason to. 16 25.40%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 03:16 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,239,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Back in the late 90s a friend of mine was a slumlord in West Baltimore. He told me about this starving stray dog that hung with the dealers around Mount and Lafayette. He tried to feed the dog several times because it was so damn emaciated but it would not come near him. I drove over there one night after Thanksgiving with leftover turkey and saw the dog immediately. He was starving but would not come within 30 feet of me; I even laid down on the sidewalk to appear less threatening with rats running by me. No luck. Threw the food toward him, he grabbed it and ran for the ally. After several more attempts to catch him (animal control was unresponsive) I went over one afternoon and say him in the ally. As I got out of my truck and started down the ally, the dealers stopped me, asking me where I was going. I told them I was trying to catch that dog that was starving. They looked at me suspiciously and asked why. I said I wanted to take him home. They whistled for their guys on the corner handing out bags to cars. About 8 guys surrounded me, the first told them I wanted to rescue "blue boy". They formed a circle and closed in on the dog. The dog panicked for a minute, shaking and growling but they grabbed him and threw him in my truck. I thanked them, got in and drove off. The stench of that dog was horrendous, his skin was so infected. But he came to be a gorgeous and faithful boy - Elroy. I never forgot thinking, these guys are gonna put a cap in me for going near their stash, when in fact, they saved that dog. Just because someone is a drug dealer or worse doesn't remove their humanity.
This is really an interesting story, thanks for posting this. I also think people engaged in illegal activities are not necessarily bad or anything but often just got forced into doing whatever they are doing because of lack of education, lack of decent honest jobs, and the poverty they grew up in.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 06:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,005 times
The posts I have read thanks for the information. But what areas do you recommend because I am relocating there and I will be living alone so I would like to know where to look? So serious because I don't want to have to worry my place will be broken into or worse. So any recommendations will be helpful. I also seen that someone said if I spend 1,700$ for a place I will be in a good area. Do I really have to pay that much to be in a good area. Anything will help so please let me know.

Old 04-02-2017, 07:34 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,190,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnie86 View Post
The posts I have read thanks for the information. But what areas do you recommend because I am relocating there and I will be living alone so I would like to know where to look? So serious because I don't want to have to worry my place will be broken into or worse. So any recommendations will be helpful. I also seen that someone said if I spend 1,700$ for a place I will be in a good area. Do I really have to pay that much to be in a good area. Anything will help so please let me know.
So what is your budget? There are parts of town that are significantly cheaper, but not quite as safe. Do you have a car? What part of town will you be working in?

Safety in Baltimore is relative. Tons of people live happily in areas that aren't particularly safe but are relatively safe for Baltimore. Those areas will look fine but still have crime rates higher than the metro average. The bad areas described in the thread will look run down - sometimes even in Google Maps. For a little more money - and if you have a car - you could live in Hampden/Medfield/Wyman Park, which is a little safer.

I'm assuming that you are a young person that wants to enjoy urban life. If not, you can live in just about any boring suburb in safety. That may not be particularly cheap either. You will need to let us know what you are looking for. Have you looked at Craig's List yet? That will give you some idea about pricing.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:17 AM

1,896 posts, read 3,698,177 times
Default boredatwork

When I had to move from Cockeysville back to my fathers house in Columbia is when I really started exploring Baltimore. I would "cruise" down 70 until I ended up on Garrison Blvd and deep down Reistertown rd thinking to myself this is a f@#$ed up part of Baltimore county not realizing I was in the infamous Park Heights all my coworkers would talk about. I'd be all down by Mondawmin mall and Pennsylvania avenue all oblivious. I remember also going down rt 40 like where TF am I?. Interesting to know these areas are considered the worst strips. There's parts of Baltimore I've explored where I dont even think the city knows it exists.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:26 AM

1,896 posts, read 3,698,177 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
Im from DC and have walked in Baltimore hoods by myself.... No problems. Everyone knows Im not from here but my swag is always respected.
Im from PG county ..When I worked in Hunt Valley the older folks from Baltimore kept trying to tell the younger folks that PG county has many areas that match Baltimore crime so coming from DC its like apples to apples.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:53 PM

2,346 posts, read 1,682,952 times
Real Baltimorons know that the most dangerous strip in the city is Roland Ave.

Old 04-09-2017, 05:34 AM

6,884 posts, read 10,438,532 times
One Baltimore has many dangerous strips , two unfortunately those most endangered are the people that live on those strips or people that visit those areas often times to take advantage of illegal activity , three the danger ebb and flows from strip to strip in response to police activity and the arrest or murder of the principal actors involved in perpetuating the violence

Old 04-13-2017, 06:30 PM

438 posts, read 386,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahatma x View Post
im from dc and have walked in baltimore hoods by myself.... No problems. Everyone knows im not from here but my swag is always respected.

lmao

Old 04-13-2017, 09:01 PM

8,733 posts, read 7,190,446 times
I hang out in the McCollugh Homes Projects from time to time since I have family in that part of town, but I don't fear for my safety around there. During the summer, There would be multiple parties in multiple courts, kids playing adults hanging out having a good time. Everyone knows everyone, and everyone knows my family, so I don't have any problems down there. I noticed a recent uptick in white people walking through neighborhood (they don't seem to be buying drugs) from Mt. Royal probably, but even then, nobody bothers them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore