U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you actually driven down it?
Yes, in the day light! 14 22.22%
Yes, at night! 32 50.79%
No and never will! 9 14.29%
No, haven't had a reason to. 16 25.40%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 08:48 AM

103 posts, read 492,898 times

Advertisements

IN YOUR OPINION:

What is the most dangerous strip of road in the city? Have you actually driven down it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 09:27 AM

103 posts, read 492,898 times
My experience with a bad area (if it was even really bad),

I just stayed in Bmore for a week looking at houses. Our hotel was located in Catonsville, Baltimore Pikeway.

On Thursday, my wife and I were late for an apartment showing in the innner harbor, so I took a look at google maps, and it suggested to go due east, turning from the Pike to Edmondson to Franklin street to West mullberry, merging onto MLK, dropoff at the university and so on.

If you know me, I have been compiling a map of areas which are no-no's. SO i super imposed that map over what Google gave me, and wow... I was going straight into the battle zone. But hey it was 1pm, no biggy right?

So... Jenn and are jump in the car, and i tell her that were gonna go explore the "bad" area on our way to the apartment. She was up for it.

We go pass 695, and drive a little ways, admiring the old houses, saying to ourselves, this isnt such a bad area, pfft.

The pike disappears and we are now on edmondson, bars are now normal on doors and windows.

Right before the street turns into Franklin the row homes kick in, and Jenn is now looking at me with a concerned look.

To scared to stop and flip a U-turn we keep going.

Now on Franklin, we have a few young adults weaving all over the road in motor scooters, a dealer posted up on every 2-3 corners, and of course Murphy’s law kicked in and we hit EVERY RED light.

Jenn now looks like she’s ½ gonna die, ½ kill me first. She then asks me if I have my 9mm in the car. (I have a Florida Concealed License). I tell her no, Maryland does not honor FL gun law and it would be illegal for me to have brought it on this trip. She then starts flipping out.

We hit the redlight where I was supposed to turn onto west mulberry, but missed it trying to settle Jenn.

We are now in deep crap. Trash piled in the street, no cars driving on the roads, and we are now getting eyeballed by thugs posted on their stoops.

At some point on this trek, we pass a fire station. There were 3 fireman outside, 2 white and one black. As Jenn and I drive by them all chipper and smiling, the 2 white men look at us like we were trapped in a burning building with no way out, and the black man is shaking his head.

A few blocks up I notice that this wonderful street looks like its coming to a dead end. Now I start to panic because I now have to drive through all of this again and this time, they will be able to smell the fear off of us.

I then notice it isn’t a dead end, it’s a kiddy cornered cross street and I get excited.

I go to run the last red light just as a dirt bike flies through the intersection that I almost hit.

My mind is now running the slow motion day-mare of having to stop in this hell, after hitting a kid off a motorcycle and facing the irate locals. We now reach the cross street and turn right.

O there’s MLK! Sweet a bridge and an onramp! Were safe!

I drove and I drove and I drove until I was on the 395 flying around the stadiums headed back to down town. I park in the pier v parking lot put the car in park and jenn and I both start breathing again.

Oooo never again. AND were getting gps systems in our car to make sure we don’t accidently end up in these areas.

So on a scale from 1-10, 1 being innerharbor and 10 being the worste place in baltimore to be, what does my trek rate in at.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:57 AM

108 posts, read 271,106 times
So you and were wife were freaking out because you were driving through a bad neighborhood? I've driven/walked through many myself in the short time I've lived in Baltimore, and I never got looks from locals (or firemen for that matter) indicating I didn't belong. It's all about the way you carry yourself, and I get the impression that you and your wife probably looked visibly shaken during your expedition - thus drawing unwanted attention to yourselves.

Given that you were in your car, and it was during the day, and you weren't going into town for a drug run, your reaction to the situation is a bit over-dramatic. Statistics back me up on this.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:20 PM

206 posts, read 724,604 times
Default Lol

You got stuck in west Baltimore and freaked out, lol. There are so many bad places in the city it's too many to list. Greenmount and Pennsylvnia Aves are pretty bad. Whitelock is a crack coccaine ridden neighborhood. If you accidentily roll up there about ten 8 year olds will run to your car window trying to sell you rocks. My old friend asked me for a ride one time and had me take him there. I flipped out on him for taking me there, never again I said. I'm from Baltimore and was kinda scared. I thought one of those kids would stick a gun in my car. All in all, I'd say it would be easier to list the few good neighborhoods and the rest are stricken with poverty and low level education. It's sad too because some neighborhoods have some huge houses, mansion like, that are boarded up. The houses on North Avenue, the mansions up by Pimlico, and every building downtown. Take a ride on the lightrail one time and you can see how truly poor Baltimore is.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:43 PM

485 posts, read 1,816,255 times
And where will those people go when the areas gentrify?

If Baltimore does indeed come back to life, there will be a price to pay for that.

I'm not against the change-I want to return to Baltimore, someday-and God knows these living Hells cannot endure, but what will become of the underclass, when there are no more slums?

Somehow, I think it'll be sad.

Old 07-05-2008, 02:52 PM

6,472 posts, read 14,537,149 times
I think once you have been a victim of crime by the underclass your views may change. On the topic at hand, I once drove through an area in East Baltimore looking for a cheap house I saw advertised in the City paper. "How could a house be so cheap?" I said to myself. Well, I drove over there and I saw why.

It was worse than any bombed-out shanty town in any third world country, and I am from one. It was horrible. Guys in wife-beaters with pit bulls giving evil looks from the corners, burned out boarded up houses. Trash on the street. And then I saw a lady with a baby carriage. . .

At that point I started sobbing.

I think Hopkins is building the biotech park in that area. Or maybe they have already built it. Now that I think back, I felt sorry for the child AND the woman. Now I think, who would consciously bring a child into that kind of environment?

There is one thing I never understood about poor people in America. Why does poverty here seem to go hand-in-hand with low morals, dirt and crime? Anyone can feel free to flame the hell out of me for saying this. That's my impression after living here for many years.

Old 07-05-2008, 06:18 PM

485 posts, read 1,816,255 times
Kinkster, I spent 30 years on the streets of Baltimore, as one flavor of copper or another.

I do believe I've seen enough of those mean streets to have an opinion.

An awful lot of these people are going down for the third time, and fighting rescue tooth and nail.

I have no solutions, just an aching heart.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:12 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,602,781 times
We live in Catonsville and my DH works downtown. Occasionally, when I go into his office, if it seems like the traffic might be too bad on 95 south out of the city, I'll take Baltimore Street west. It turns into Frederick Road and we live right off Frederick Road in Catonsville, so it's a pretty straight shot. However, there is an area where I get a little nervous (like what if my car breaks down here???) Hubby wants to be able to ride his bike into work to save on gas and he's not nearly as aware of danger as I am. When I looked at him like he was crazy for wanting to ride his expensive bicycle through this area, he thought I was being dramatic, but he has decided perhaps it wouldn't be the best of plans. It's really too bad because it would save 22 miles of driving a day.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:51 AM

1,890 posts, read 1,443,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSKi View Post

I just stayed in Bmore for a week looking at houses. Our hotel was located in Catonsville, Baltimore Pikeway.

On Thursday, my wife and I were late for an apartment showing in the innner harbor, so I took a look at google maps, and it suggested to go due east, turning from the Pike to Edmondson to Franklin street to West mullberry, merging onto MLK, dropoff at the university and so on.

If you know me, I have been compiling a map of areas which are no-no's. SO i super imposed that map over what Google gave me, and wow... I was going straight into the battle zone. But hey it was 1pm, no biggy right?

So... Jenn and are jump in the car, and i tell her that were gonna go explore the "bad" area on our way to the apartment. She was up for it.

We go pass 695, and drive a little ways, admiring the old houses, saying to ourselves, this isnt such a bad area, pfft.

The pike disappears and we are now on edmondson, bars are now normal on doors and windows.

Right before the street turns into Franklin the row homes kick in, and Jenn is now looking at me with a concerned look.

Now on Franklin, we have a few young adults weaving all over the road in motor scooters, a dealer posted up on every 2-3 corners, and of course Murphy’s law kicked in and we hit EVERY RED light.

Jenn now looks like she’s ½ gonna die, ½ kill me first. She then asks me if I have my 9mm in the car. (I have a Florida Concealed License). I tell her no, Maryland does not honor FL gun law and it would be illegal for me to have brought it on this trip. She then starts flipping out.

We hit the redlight where I was supposed to turn onto west mulberry, but missed it trying to settle Jenn.

We are now in deep crap. Trash piled in the street, no cars driving on the roads, and we are now getting eyeballed by thugs posted on their stoops.

At some point on this trek, we pass a fire station. There were 3 fireman outside, 2 white and one black. As Jenn and I drive by them all chipper and smiling, the 2 white men look at us like we were trapped in a burning building with no way out, and the black man is shaking his head.

A few blocks up I notice that this wonderful street looks like its coming to a dead end. Now I start to panic because I now have to drive through all of this again and this time, they will be able to smell the fear off of us.

I then notice it isn’t a dead end, it’s a kiddy cornered cross street and I get excited.

I go to run the last red light just as a dirt bike flies through the intersection that I almost hit.

My mind is now running the slow motion day-mare of having to stop in this hell, after hitting a kid off a motorcycle and facing the irate locals. We now reach the cross street and turn right.

I drove and I drove and I drove until I was on the 395 flying around the stadiums headed back to down town. I park in the pier v parking lot put the car in park and jenn and I both start breathing again.

Oooo never again. AND were getting gps systems in our car to make sure we don’t accidently end up in these areas.

So on a scale from 1-10, 1 being innerharbor and 10 being the worste place in baltimore to be, what does my trek rate in at.
I live at Edmondson and Cooks lane on the west side and drive that route day or night when I am going downtown. I am sure it looked scary to to someone not used to it, but I am sorry to say if you plan on moving to Baltimore City, you better get used to it.
Baltimore City is filled with nice areas but at the same time you can drive/walk 2 - 3 blocks and be in an area that looks or is sketchy.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:14 PM

689 posts, read 2,986,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSKi View Post

My guess is that city living is probably not for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or