U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 06:08 PM

31 posts, read 77,455 times
Thanks for the tips on routes. I'm looking forward to checking out the biking in and around Baltimore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 06:54 PM

5,066 posts, read 6,991,388 times
Good idea!

Old 07-28-2008, 07:01 PM

48,605 posts, read 44,719,201 times
re bike safety i dont live there but i stopped recently riding my bike-- got too dangerous due to traffic. but i am now thanks to your post aware of other issues.
cars dont just transport they also protect.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:46 PM

234 posts, read 699,623 times
There are issues with muggings on the bike trails around Baltimore as well as on the streets. Be careful where and when you ride. Keep a can of pepper spray at the ready. Criminals also have been known to use bicycles as transport when scouting for easy robbery victims. This was a huge problem in the UMB area until they caught the guy. It was also an issue in Canton last summer.

Old 08-01-2008, 03:47 AM

4,179 posts, read 8,891,439 times
Not sure if these rising gas prices are the reason but I have been seeing a lot more people riding their bikes lately. On my morning walk, lots are riding by one guy with a full suit every morning.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:02 PM

3,324 posts, read 4,111,810 times
I have also seen many people with these "collapsible" bikes on the MARC going to DC. They break them down and set them back up once they get to DC and head off into the City.

I was curious on the exact route of the Jones Falls Bike Trail... I believe it is completed as far as the Woodbury Light Rail and is suppose to extend up to RE Lee park in the County via Mt Washington. The potential routes that I have seen show it either following the Light Rail line up from the Woodbury Station, under Coldspring Lane and manuvering up into Clyburn and over Northern Parkway towards Mt. Washington Village. Another design showed it leaving Woodbury/Druid Hills Park along Greenspring Ave to Clyburn and then over Northern Parkway. I live near Clyburn and our neighborhood has had problems with occational homeless 'camps' on the bluff of the Jones Falls. I don't believe that they have/or would bother anyone but if the route follows the Jones Falls under Coldspring Lane up to Clyburn.. that may be a pretty secluded stretch. Do the Baltimore City Police or Park Rangers patrol the urban forest bike trails?

Old 08-01-2008, 12:30 PM

234 posts, read 699,623 times
No, the Baltimore PD do not patrol the bike trails and both the Jones Falls and Gwynn Falls trail systems have had several muggings and rapes as a result. A real shame, because they are both beautiful and underutilized assets of Baltimore.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:31 PM

684 posts, read 1,499,317 times
I've seen patrols on the Gwynns Falls Trail (city police driving a jeep on the trail). However, it's lightly used and there are stretches of it that are kind of desolate. I've ridden it alone, but it's probably advisable to go with someone else.

The Jones Falls Trail currently goes from Woodberry, through Druid Hill Park and along Falls Rd. to the area near Penn Station. I think I've read that the next stage is to complete it to the Inner Harbor--I'm not sure exactly what route it will take--and then build the Mt. Washington stretch, where there has been a lot of controversy about the route. I think there are two competing plans.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:39 AM

156 posts, read 474,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Please, most people in Patterson Park even call non-emergency police/311 when there is a lost dog in the park. I'm not saying that the bike incident did happen, but I'm willing to bet it was a number of years ago.

I'm in Patterson Park everyday, and I can tell you, Chigirl42, that it will be a lovely part of your commute.
What? You are willing to bet that? Based on what? It happened last summer as a matter of fact. Sorry to spoil your fantasy.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:10 AM

4,179 posts, read 8,891,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimore's best View Post
What? You are willing to bet that? Based on what? It happened last summer as a matter of fact. Sorry to spoil your fantasy.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, again.

There have been crimes committed in and around the park. But, it is rare. There are 1000's of people who use it daily, myself included, without incident. It is a great asset for the city and I personally couldn't imagine living anywhere else; especially after all of the concerts this summer.
The Friends of Patterson Park, Inc.

I also enjoyed this in the park:
fluidmovement.org » home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore