Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 03:41 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,359,173 times

Advertisements

So I'm researching different areas of the city to move to and I keep seeing these great rehabs in and near Charles Village (like this PORCHFRONT RENOVATION IN CHARLES VILLAGE AREA - 3 FINISHED LEVELS (http://baltimore.craigslist.org/reb/881313238.html - broken link)). But I'm unsure if this is a bad side of Charles Village, otherwise why would the listing price be so low. Also because some parts of Charles Village and the 21218 zip code borders North Ave. But when people speak of Charles Village, they don't really get into a possible bad side.

So looking at the map on this link below, would some say that some parts of Charles Village or 21218 are very bad and if so, what parts exactly? Is there an area on this map that most would stay out of?

Baltimore, Maryland (21218) Community and Location Information | PropertyMaps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 04:21 PM

805 posts, read 2,106,517 times
Here is a map of Charles Village
Live in Baltimore - Charles Village

You can also download the pdf of all the B'more neighborhoods
Live in Baltimore - Neighborhood Map

Charles Village is shown as a little different on the pdf but pretty much the same.

When I was looking at houses in Charles Village I was told not to look East of Greenmount Ave by a realtor.

All of the real Charles Village (don't believe what ads suggest) seems to be ok. Maybe kind of rough south of 27th.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:21 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,551,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
So I'm researching different areas of the city to move to and I keep seeing these great rehabs in and near Charles Village (like this PORCHFRONT RENOVATION IN CHARLES VILLAGE AREA - 3 FINISHED LEVELS (http://baltimore.craigslist.org/reb/881313238.html - broken link)). But I'm unsure if this is a bad side of Charles Village, otherwise why would the listing price be so low. Also because some parts of Charles Village and the 21218 zip code borders North Ave. But when people speak of Charles Village, they don't really get into a possible bad side.

So looking at the map on this link below, would some say that some parts of Charles Village or 21218 are very bad and if so, what parts exactly? Is there an area on this map that most would stay out of?

Baltimore, Maryland (21218) Community and Location Information | PropertyMaps

That is another one that I would walk by both day and night to get an idea of your block. I don't want to say one way or the other because I am not to familiar with that particular street. I would stick to north of 25th. The area between North and 25th is transitional and may not be a good fit for someone new to Baltimore. Wherever you decide, it's best to get a feel for the neighborhood before committing yourself. Visit it during the day and at night.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:15 PM

2 posts, read 17,605 times
Be careful. I work in Charles Village and I know it very well. There are some very comfortable blocks generally 28 and up on Calvert/Charles/St. Paul and around the museum - and 2500 BLK of Guilford which is a strange oasis. I say this working more than 10 years on 25th Street. If you are flustered by a broken car window or grab and run break-ins then do not put yourself in the position of living down there especially on Ilchester. Save yourself the cost of moving twice. There is way too much drug activity and not enough police presence. Another factor in general is the unbelievable amount of dumping and garbage that you have to go out and pick up yourself. The city will not clean it up but they will fine you for it. In the summer it has a very strong fragrance that can not be overcome.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:15 PM

31 posts, read 194,766 times
Default 2500 Block of Guilford?

Hamroll: I am intrigued by your comment about the 2500 block of Guilford. Any ideas what sets it apart as an oasis? Behind the odd-numbered side of the block is a huge abandoned industrial site that makes me wonder what is back there and if its presence causes any nuisance... Does anyone know what was there and if there is any plans for it? Does it attract or block out issues?

Just out of curiosity...any opinion about the 2300 and 2400 blocks of Guilford?

I know this post was a while ago, but I just thought I'd try to ask anyway.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:33 PM

7 posts, read 45,008 times
So Guilford Ave is nice above 28th st?

Old 06-14-2009, 10:09 PM

757 posts, read 2,545,454 times
North of 25th St. is nice. It generally gets better the farther north you go. 25th St. was an odd oasis a few years back, but there has been a lot of gentrification that has spread (a good thing, in my opinion).

Old 06-15-2009, 10:22 AM

68 posts, read 270,635 times
I was just out here for a long walk this past weekend. I walked from Hon-fest in Hampden down through Remington to 25th St, cut across 25th to Greenmount, all the way up Greenmount Ave to 31st, and back to Hon-fest.

I don't think this is a great area. While some blocks were fine, I just noticed a lot of weird things. There was some Jamaican store on 25th that was BLARING reggae music over loudspeakers that can literally be heard a couple blocks away. There was a Terra-something Cafe that looked nice, but the place was empty at 5 in the afternoon. A waiter was just looking out of the front window. I came to Greenmount and 25th, there was a corner store, and here was a loudspeaker again BLASTING some speech from a civil rights leader about black oppression that echoed up and down the street. I passed what looked like several homeless people on the block. I went up Greenmount Ave, a lot of seedy stores for several blocks, people just loitering around, some drinking alcohol from paper bags on their stoops, some boarded up buildings, trash laying around, a group of young girls harrassing an old man and trying to take his cane, people arguing, abandoned shops, etc. To say the least, there were several blocks where I didn't feel safe at all. A lot of people just staring at me, blocking the sidewalks so I had to go on the street to get around them, etc. I can't imagine walking here after nightfall.

It's not the kind of place I would want to live. There are some nicer little areas scattered within, but I don't care if it's nice 2 blocks away from here - I wouldn't feel very good about living a couple blocks from this kind of stuff. To each their own I suppose - just telling you my experience (my disclaimer: I'm sure other people have different viewpoints).

Old 06-15-2009, 06:44 PM

418 posts, read 1,729,196 times
Very good friends of mine live on the 2500 block of Guilford. A lot of good people on that block who keep their homes up, but they all have to deal with a great deal of nuisance crime. My friend stopped putting patio furniture in his yard after it was stolen the second time -- despite the 6 foot tall privacy fence, despite the chains securing the furniture to a huge tree.

Generally speaking, stay north of 27th and west of Guilford. The further north, the further west, the better.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:50 PM

13 posts, read 60,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Pioneer View Post
I was just out here for a long walk this past weekend. I walked from Hon-fest in Hampden down through Remington to 25th St, cut across 25th to Greenmount, all the way up Greenmount Ave to 31st, and back to Hon-fest.
you walked around the borders of Charles village. The nicer blocks are east of Remington and west of Greenmount, north of 25th. This area is full of Hopkins students as well as many artists and families. I lived there for a few years in several different apartments...27th/St Paul, 28/Calvert, 28 Maryland, 27 calvert. All relatively safe and clean.....Just need to be smart. Don't leave anything that might tempt someone in plain view inside your car. I had a window smashed for a bookbag full of dirty sox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore