U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-22-2007, 05:33 PM

442 posts, read 1,199,602 times

Advertisements

I live in Ohio.

My fiance lives in Alexandria, VA right now and works in downtown Washington. As the job market in my industry is better out there, I decided I'd relocate there rather than her come here. I have been looking for a job and found a job in Pikesville, MD just NW of Baltimore. Although I got another offer closer to DC (in Arlington, VA), this one pays about 50% more and is a better corporate atmosphere than the one in Arlington. Plus, once we decide to have kids, we're planning to move north of Baltimore where it's cheaper and buy a home, and she'll then become a stay-at-home mom.

We're looking for somewhere in between, just to rent for now, where we can both commute to our jobs. She to Washington and me to Pikesville, MD.

Rent range - $1100 - $1450 2 bedroom

We were thinking of looking somewhere along 295 or 95, perhaps around Laurel or over around Bowie or Crofton? Does anyone else have an arrangement like this where one spouse works in Baltimore and the other in DC? I'll commute by car because I'm in sales and need the freedom to go when and where I Need to to visit clients. She can drive or do the MARC even.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 10:19 AM

I'll add that I'm looking to make the move around May 1.

Old 02-23-2007, 03:52 PM

45 posts, read 191,989 times
There are a lot of couples in your situation. You might want to look at Columbia, where I'm reasonably certain you could find a small townhouse or apartment that would meet your needs at the rent you can afford. Laurel and Bowie have MARC train stations but your girlfriend will need a car to get there, and the Bowie station is at the far north end of Bowie (a long drive). Laurel and Bowie would be significantly longer commutes for you.

Columbia has both bus service to downtown DC and Silver Spring's Metro station, and is 10-20 minutes from the Savage or Dorsey MARC stations, depending on where in Columbia you are coming from.

I don't commute to DC anymore but my son does and he works on 17th near Pennsylvania Ave. It takes him about 1 hour, 15 minutes to drive to a Metro Station on the Green Line and take the subway from there. It is pretty brutal but you sound young and strong ;-)

Old 02-23-2007, 07:48 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,095,633 times
Wow this is Brutal dilema...I would definitely recommend Columbia. Its the Halfway point for both cities and the environment fits your needs. Family friendly, things to do, safe. Housing prices might be the only concern. Bowie/Crofton is another option that you could look into.....

Old 02-26-2007, 08:10 AM

Housing prices are a concern but nothing's cheap there. Remember, I come from Ohio where a 1 bedroom apartment goes for $500 a month in a decent area and a 1200 square foot cape cod goes for the mid-100s. I will make more money out there, but still...

Columbia seemed too far for the fiance's commute to DC...we were thinking Laurel or even as far south as Silver Spring. My new job is in Pikesville.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:53 PM

1 posts, read 5,115 times
hairmetal4ever, take a look at silver spring. My gf and I are going to rent a condo in the downtown area. I work in Woodlawn, MD, which is in West Baltimore right off of 70 & 695. She doesn't have a car, so would need easy access to the metro whether walking or the bus.

We decided on Silver Spring because of this and it has the dc feel, but not in dc and not with the dc prices. There are also many townhouses / apartments close to the metro stops.

We also decided that Silver Spring was a good choice because its right on Route 29, which is easy for me to get to work, 29 goes to 70 east to 695, then I'm at work! Its an easy drive, I have driven it before. Another thing is that most of the traffic will be going from Baltimore to DC, so I will be driving the opposite way, so traffic won't be bad. I hope this helps.

Send me a msg if you have any other questions! I have been living in the area since may '06. My gf lives in Alexandria, Va right now, so this is a good area to benefit us both!

e-mail me if you have any questions!

Old 03-03-2007, 05:13 PM

2,781 posts, read 6,888,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7fo View Post
Wow this is Brutal dilema...I would definitely recommend Columbia. Its the Halfway point for both cities and the environment fits your needs. Family friendly, things to do, safe. Housing prices might be the only concern. Bowie/Crofton is another option that you could look into.....
I second this

Old 03-05-2007, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhutch View Post
hairmetal4ever, take a look at silver spring. My gf and I are going to rent a condo in the downtown area. I work in Woodlawn, MD, which is in West Baltimore right off of 70 & 695. She doesn't have a car, so would need easy access to the metro whether walking or the bus.

We decided on Silver Spring because of this and it has the dc feel, but not in dc and not with the dc prices. There are also many townhouses / apartments close to the metro stops.

We also decided that Silver Spring was a good choice because its right on Route 29, which is easy for me to get to work, 29 goes to 70 east to 695, then I'm at work! Its an easy drive, I have driven it before. Another thing is that most of the traffic will be going from Baltimore to DC, so I will be driving the opposite way, so traffic won't be bad. I hope this helps.

Send me a msg if you have any other questions! I have been living in the area since may '06. My gf lives in Alexandria, Va right now, so this is a good area to benefit us both!

e-mail me if you have any questions!
We looked at a place in Silver Spring and one in Laurel...we like them both.

Old 03-05-2007, 12:51 PM

From what I've read on some apartment review websites, the entire part of Maryland along 95 and 295 is a crime-infested hellhole...is that true?

We looked at Bowling Brook apartments and liked it until we found the online reviews...almost all were negative.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:24 PM

1 posts, read 4,970 times
Thumbs up Moving from Brazil to Baltimore

I'm moving from Brazil and I'll be working in Baltimore, MD. I'm looking for a good region to live with my family (wife and two kids 5/6). Where can I find a good and safety house, near to good schools ???? Thanks for the tips.
I don't mind to spend until 45 minutes to go to the office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore