Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2009, 02:13 PM

2 posts, read 5,097 times

Advertisements

I recently live outside Philadelphia in a pretty affluent suburb. I am a teacher with one year of urban experience and am considering moving to Baltimore County to teach. I don't want to teach in the city and am looking for elementary schools in the county that are more suburban. Anyone know of some specific locations in the county to look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 02:17 PM

460 posts, read 1,876,359 times
One thing you will find here in Maryland is that schools are organized by county, not by district. So when you apply to work in a public school, you will apply to the county (i.e., Baltimore County public schools, Montgomery County public schools, etc). You can find all these by doing a google search. You will then, depending on the policies of the county when hired, be placed or interviewed at different schools. Also, when schools are out for most reasons (snow, holidays) the entire county is out. Only when there are issues like loss of heat, water, water main breaks, etc., are singular schools closed while the rest of the school system is open.

Since you are new in your career I must mention that if you intend to making teaching a career, or working in public education in a public school system where you will be part of the retirement system, that you are leaving one of. . .if not the most. . . retirement friendly state for teachers. Maryland pays about 38% of your top three years in retirement. My mom's cousin, who just retired after 33 years outside of Reading, PA. is getting 90% of his top three years - plus medical, I believe, but I could be wrong on that point.

When you start out you don't think of these things but you really need to consider this in terms of your future.

Now,if you want more particular information about specific SCHOOLS in these counties, then you can post here. If you're interested in Baltimore County, you may want to put a post in the Baltimore forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: