Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 02:43 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,162,103 times

Advertisements

Deregulation sounded like a good idea. You know - free enterprise - competition and rates would drop. Why didn't it work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 03:14 PM

45,363 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
Deregulation sounded like a good idea. You know - free enterprise - competition and rates would drop. Why didn't it work?

A couple reasons: first off the rates were frozen at 1995 or so levels until two years ago so no company wanted to come in; then the rules for choosing another provider were awfully convoluted (which is partly opinion on my part); then, just like with long distance, people were basically happy with what they had. There were warnings back in 1999 about the sticker shock that would come but no one really paid attention.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:28 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,162,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
A couple reasons: first off the rates were frozen at 1995 or so levels until two years ago so no company wanted to come in; then the rules for choosing another provider were awfully convoluted (which is partly opinion on my part); then, just like with long distance, people were basically happy with what they had. There were warnings back in 1999 about the sticker shock that would come but no one really paid attention.
So if the current rate is just a correction to bring it up to date, why does it seem so high in comparison to other states? Do other states still have their rates regulated to keep them at an artificially low price? Or are providers able to offer lower rates where there is true competition, and then overcharge others (like us) to make up the difference?

Old 02-01-2009, 03:49 PM

45,363 posts, read 60,546,019 times
A lot of states are still regulated, VA was going to deregulate starting this year but saw what happened in MD and pulled back, same with PA. Under regulation rate payers pay the cost of production/distribution plus a profit and rate increases have to be approved by the state's regulating authority. What griped me in MD was the rate payers had to pay BGE "stranded costs" because the assumption 10 years ago was that the power plants would decrease in value. That proved incorrect, and when the electricity went on the open market instead of being dedicated then prices sky rocketed.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:59 PM

8 posts, read 84,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Constellation Energy-makes electric (parent company of BGE) and sells it to
BGE-brings electric to your house

The MD legislature is trying to reregulate but that is probably almost impossible. Electricity is now bought and sold on the commodities market. We should have stayed regulated but we didn't, a show that was brought to you by: Gov. Parris Glendenning (D), Sen. Mike Miller (D) and (former) Del. Caspar Taylor (D), now a lobbyist for Constellation Energy.
Corruption, plain and simple. I'm sure he must be so "proud" of his parting gift to his sponsors at the expense of the voters who gave him the privilege of calling himself a Delegate. Disgraceful.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:14 AM

36 posts, read 201,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bo View Post
Corruption, plain and simple. I'm sure he must be so "proud" of his parting gift to his sponsors at the expense of the voters who gave him the privilege of calling himself a Delegate. Disgraceful.
Welcome to Maryland!

Old 02-03-2009, 07:45 AM

1 posts, read 3,527 times
Cool High BG&E Bills

I too have had high bg&e bills. I started receiving letters from the company Feb 08 stating that memter was not accessible or that they could read the meter because of the dog. We have a 6lb yorkie that can't get in the front yard!! My bill went from 273.83 to 1042.70 from july to aug o8. 214.90 to 477.69 from sept to nov 08 then to 738.21 for dec. We don't heat with electric and all of our appliances are less that two years old. nobody at bg&e seems like they can figure this out and then they relaced the meter in nov o8 and by Jan 09 the said it was malfunctioning again. How can they justify these bills if the meter was broken? My bills are supposed to be reviewed by the high bill resolution team which was suppose to take 21 days. It has been 1 month and even though I have called them they have not resolved these bills and on top of that they are charging me late charges!!!! Whats a person to do. Bg&e has all the power !!! whats a consumer to do? Any help or suggestions wouls be appreciated.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:12 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,934,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSF5657 View Post
I too have had high bg&e bills. I started receiving letters from the company Feb 08 stating that memter was not accessible or that they could read the meter because of the dog. We have a 6lb yorkie that can't get in the front yard!! My bill went from 273.83 to 1042.70 from july to aug o8. 214.90 to 477.69 from sept to nov 08 then to 738.21 for dec. We don't heat with electric and all of our appliances are less that two years old. nobody at bg&e seems like they can figure this out and then they relaced the meter in nov o8 and by Jan 09 the said it was malfunctioning again. How can they justify these bills if the meter was broken? My bills are supposed to be reviewed by the high bill resolution team which was suppose to take 21 days. It has been 1 month and even though I have called them they have not resolved these bills and on top of that they are charging me late charges!!!! Whats a person to do. Bg&e has all the power !!! whats a consumer to do? Any help or suggestions wouls be appreciated.
Did you try the Maryland Public Service Commission here Maryland Public Service Commission

Maybe try filing a complaint against them? There's lots of info here so it might be a start.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:59 AM

195 posts, read 1,078,584 times
A few years ago in Minnesota, we begun getting these HUGE natural gas bills for house, which was old and drafty. Yes, it was cold, yes, it was an old house, but the bills still seemed high. Well, a few years later the natural gas company admitted they had been overcharging people ( just as we suspected, but we could do nothing about it) and they actually refunded us $1,000. So there's hope, sometimes these utility companies don't get away with overcharging people.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:26 PM

460 posts, read 1,876,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSF5657 View Post
Get all your paperwork, notes, names, dates and times of calls back and forth to BGE and call EVERY SINGLE NEWS STATION'S CONSUMER AFFAIRS DEPARTMENT in Baltimore and DC (WJZ, WBAL, WUSA, WJLA, WNBC-4, WTTG-FOX 5). Tell them your story. Shoot, with that extortion I'd be calling newspapers, radio stations, TV -

you can even try small claims court and sue them if your total damages you're seeking is less than 5K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore