Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2009, 07:02 PM

13 posts, read 30,904 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm graduating soon with my doctorate in physical therapy, and am exploring where in the country I'd like to live. I'm pretty set on living in a larger city (i've always lived in a small one, and need to get out!). I've not spent an extended period of time in any city other than Pittsburgh, so what I really need to figure out is what city would suit me the best... I was hoping someone here could offer some kind thoughts in this arena...

Basically, I'm a self-reflective, socially-conscious, independent gal looking for a fairly liberal place with a diverse variety of interests to explore. I'm not completely sure who I am or who I want to be, but I think I've got a pretty decent start in that I'm actually beginning to take a deep look.... I also enjoy meeting intelligent people who can talk thoughtfully about the world....

All this said, I'm also a fun-loving, spirited individual who really likes to laugh, have a good time, be silly.... you get the idea...

My question then is this: Does Baltimore sound like it would suit me well?

*Also career-wise, would anyone know anything about the market for physical therapists, especially in orthopedic outpatient, in Baltimore?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 10:12 PM

206 posts, read 798,007 times
I'd move to Florida if I were you. Better weather and all those old people falling down stairs breaking their hips. Job Security! Just joking here people, please no threats from any geriatrics.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:32 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,597,462 times
Actually, upinflamezzz has a point. With the economy in such tough shape, I would got wherever there is a job. I guess that would be my priority. But, I am sure if you found a decent one here, you would do fine.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:25 AM

689 posts, read 3,216,159 times
I think when choosing a city, I would first consider the practical issues before whether it would suit your personality. You could be the nicest person in the world, but if the transportation issues, crime, housing costs, and everything else don't work -- it's not the right place for you.

Think about how car-dependent you are, what you'd be able to afford to rent or buy when you consider an average salary for your job, safety concerns, etc. and then research to see which cities offer the best combination of those things.

And like jonjj said -- take a job wherever you can get one. That's the most important part -- the rest you can work out later.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:27 PM

201 posts, read 590,024 times
Baltimore would be perfect for you. It has all the things that you mention, and is very strong in Health Care.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:01 AM

13 posts, read 64,810 times
I'm a recent grad as well and relocated to the city in 08. PM me so that I can answer your questions directly. I will say, however, that the key to making any move work is having friends/family in the area. Almost any place is enjoyable if you have a support network in place. Otherwise, you have an uphill battle in terms of meeting others.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:34 PM

23 posts, read 45,203 times
Haha, I too am looking to get out of Pittsburgh and maybe move to Baltimore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: